Author Topic: John Davies Blacksmith  (Read 3770 times)

Offline lindagene

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
John Davies Blacksmith
« on: Tuesday 26 October 04 09:57 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on John Davies, born Worthen 1812, Blacksmith    and his wife (Mary) Ann born West Felton.    Where and when they married?
They moved to Penkridge Staffordshire where they were living in 1854 when their son Maurice was born.
Any inofrmation would be appreciated.
Lindy ::)
Snowdon, Collinson,  Durham, Northumberland,Yorkshire
Payne, Essex    Baker  Norfolk/Essex/Australia
Davies  Staffordshire, Shropshire

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: John Davies Blacksmith
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 November 04 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindy

I presume you've looked at the freeBMD site - as they normally marry at the girl's church there are a couple of matches for Oswestry.

If that was their first son that was still alive in 1854 - they could have married anytime around then.
I suppose she changed her name from Mary to Ann at different times - just to confuse you!!  ;D
Any Directories for around the time - should be listed as Blacksmith.
Not much help - but keep trying
Cheers
Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline lindagene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 December 04 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hey Keith,

Merry Christmas,     I have been searching all over the place for this marriage, but the last info I found suggested that the two of them were married in a place called Madeley, at least the names of the participating parties are correct, one John Davies, one Ann Tomkiss,       now why would they not have married in their home areas is anybodys guess.    As they were both of 'full age' maybe their respective families were not in favour of the match?  I will keep on trying to find out.  The worst bit of all this is that there is a branch of the family who have the 'family bible' but who   although they say they will   dont send me anything contained in it.
Och Well, :-\ :'(     Maybe next year? :) :D ;D

Lindy

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 December 04 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindy,

Perhaps Father Christmas will bring you the family Bible!! ;) ;)

Keep trying - I started doing this family tree hobby thinking that people stayed in the same place for years - now I realise they moved just to make it more interesting for us to find then!! ;D ;D

Bye the way there are 2 Madeleys - one near Telford - and one in Staffordshire

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline lindagene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 22:44 GMT (UK) »
;D ;D

Hi Keith,

Well I got the marriage certificate, and yes, there were my two, John Davies and Ann Tomkiss.  And you were right,  John had gone and moved, he was living in Much Wenlock when they married, and that was in the parish of Madeley.
I had a look at some piccies on the web, its such a pretty place, makes me wonder why they later moved on to Penkridge, I mean, Penkridge is ok, quite pretty, but Much Wenlock is something else.

Do everybodys ancestors have itchy feet or is it just mine?

Lindy ???

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 February 05 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi lindagene,

Well done - it's always nice to find you have ordered the correct certificate!!

Before I started this Family History lark - I thought everyone stayed in their small villiage for centuries - what a fool I was!!  ;D ;D ;D

One line of mine went from North Hertfordshire via the main road/canal to finally arrive in London 100 years later - I suppose the lads ran out of local girls and the grass is always greener in the next town!

In your case maybe he found he could earn more money making things for the townsfolk rather than mean old farmers!!  oppps   :D

Beauty is in the eye .........

Cheers

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails