Author Topic: McDaid family Buncrana/Derry  (Read 47028 times)

Offline maidmarian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McDaid family Buncrana/Derry
« on: Monday 26 June 06 15:24 BST (UK) »
My grandfather, WILLIAM MCDAID, a shoemaker, married ROSE KELLY in Derry 1900 and came from The Illies, Buncrana. I believe that William and Rose went on to have 8 sons. Three of them were Vincent, Quentin and Benjamin, who I believe died young.

According to their marriage certificate William's father, my great-grandfather, was DENIS MCDAID, a farmer. If I have got the right William on LDS, William's mother may have been BIDDY DOHERTY.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline Tirconnell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McDaid family Buncrana/Derry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 October 11 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've just come across your post, did you ever find out any more about your McDaids?  I also have McDaids in my family and have a family tree with some of the names you mentioned: Denis McDaid, Quentin, Vincent etc. The dates do not seem to match though as this Denis married in 1895. However they are all from the Illies, so maybe related?
I have more info if you want it.

Offline maidmarian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 October 11 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi.  Nice to hear from you.

Since I last posted, I have found out that the name McDaid was previously McDevitt.   Researching on Griffith's, I discovered that Owen McDevitt (grandfather of William McDaid) lived on Plot 20 of Lower Fahan, Illies.  When he died, Denis, father of William McDaid, took over.  Owen McDevitt is given as 'Owen (son of Wm)', so my ggg grandfather was William.  This takes us back to at least the middle of the 19th century, but, unfortunately, I haven't been able to get hold of any certificates. 

On Plot 26 there was the Doherty family, with the father being Quentin and the daughter, Bridget (Biddy).  I believe that this was the Biddy Doherty who married Denis McDaid and became my great- grandmother.

As my grandparents, William McDaid and Rose Kelly married in 1900, I don't think that your Denis, married 1895, is the same as mine.  However, the families may well be related, particularly as Quentin is such an uncommon name.

If any of this rings a bell, I would be grateful for any more information you have.

Offline mary poppins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 October 11 11:13 BST (UK) »
HI,
I first seen your post afew years ago on Buncrana.com but I couldn't register with the site as they had no domain.I'm involved with a Genealogy group in Clonmany and a member of the group seen your post on rootschat and knew I was from the Illies and printed it out for me.On reading the information on your post I'm definetly a relation of yours!Denis mc Daid married Biddy Doherty in 1864, Denis and Biddy's son Denis married Anne mc Daid in 1895 and who are probably related to your previous reply from Tirconnell.
Denis and Anne would be my great grandparents.Biddy Doherty who is your great grandmother is also my dad's great grandmother!
My dad Owen Kelly still lives in the Illies.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Offline maidmarian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 October 11 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi - fantastic to hear from you.  I believe that makes us second cousins, once removed - I think!

I didn't know that Denis McDaid and Biddy Doherty married in 1864.  Do you know if there is a marriage certificate that I could order?  I know that records didn't begin until 1864 in Ireland.

I've also found online a copy of the 1911 Census for Lower Fahan, Illies, where Bridget (Biddy) aged 70, is living with Denis and Anne.  Interestingly, it states that she 'cannot read'. 

Do you know the dates of the deaths of Denis or Biddy?  On my grandparent's marriage certificate, in 1901, it gives Denis as being deceased at that time, while, obviously, Biddy lived beyond 1911.

I'm very interested in obtaining certificates and, if I know dates of birth, marriage or death, I can ring the Letterkenny Register Office and order them over the phone.  As I live in England, it's a really great service.

Yes, I can see now, that the Denis mentioned by Tirconnell, was, in fact, the marriage of my great-grandfather's son, brother to William.  Thank you for explaining that.

I was also interested to see that your dad's name is Owen.  As you will see from my earlier post, our shared great-great grandfather was also Owen.
Thank you again for getting back to me.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Offline mary poppins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 October 11 13:54 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from you!, my father will be glad to hear I made a connection.Denis died in 1898 and Biddy approx 1918.Did you get your grandfather Wialliams birth cert? I have the info here.I was reading back to your first post and you were looking for  the census returns for 67 creggan road,did you ever get the info?I've just printed it out.was your father's name Daniel?My father would love to have a talk with you some time, hes knows alot about the family in the Illies.

Offline maidmarian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 October 11 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Thanks for the information about the death dates for Denis and Biddy.  I'll probably send for the certificates from Letterkenny.  I take it that Denis died in the Illies.  Did Biddy die there too?

Yes, I did get a copy of William's birth certificate, thank you  - and that of Rose Kelly (nee Duffy), who was also from the Illies.

I also have all the information from Creggan Road about my father's brothers.    My father was Quinton, who left Ireland to go to Glasgow round about the 1920s/30s.  I don't know when William or Rose died, but after that, the whole family of brothers split up - Patrick went to America, I believe.

Best wishes

Offline Tirconnell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 October 11 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary Poppins & maidmarian, yes Mary is right - it is Denis McDaid and Anne McDaid that I was referring to. It is Anne McDaid's family that I am related to (2 of her siblings married 2 of my family)...I don't know if that is of use to you Mary?

Offline mary poppins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 October 11 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Tirconnell, 
We must be related too!

As a matter of interest which two siblings of Denis and Anne mc Daid's is your family married into?

Their daughter Mary would have been my granny.

looking forward to hearing from you.