Author Topic: "Ladies of the Night"  (Read 7026 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Ladies of the Night"
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 July 06 12:35 BST (UK) »
My possible 'lady of the night' had two children. The first used her grandfather's name on her marriage certificate and the second, my grandfather, used his own.

Strangely enough, given my endless curiosity about my ancestors and everyone else's, I don't feel any need to know or research who his father was. Maybe it was because of the grief and suffering he caused to my grt grandmother and her son.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 July 06 12:55 BST (UK) »
You have a point there, Gadget, these guys might be better unrecorded, if that's what they want, then so be it.

But I'm a vengeful old biddy, and for me it's sleeves pushed back and rolling pin time. Just wait till I find out who he was. I'll give him not come forward!

Hurumph!
 :)
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 July 06 13:14 BST (UK) »
Problem is Paula, I may say this but I'm a pretty forgiving person and I suppose I do carry some of his genes  :(, so I'm not sure what I'd do. There no hope of finding who he was though, anyway.

No clues left and some records destroyed.

I'm so very glad that my mother never knew any of the things I've found out about her ancestors. She would have been so upset and mortified.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 July 06 14:00 BST (UK) »
With you whole heartedly on that, Gadget. My prim little Mum would have loved to see what I've found, but to know that her mother and father only married well after she was born.....I couldn't have told her that.
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 July 06 17:52 BST (UK) »
http://booth.lse.ac.uk/cgi-bin/do.pl?sub=search_catalogue_pages - try searching for her addresses in the Booth Notebooks, some of it is digitised, a bit later than when she was living there but gives you an idea of what the areas she was living in were like.

For example:
http://booth.lse.ac.uk/notebooks/b346/jpg/77.html
Describes prostitutes living in Spring & Summer streets, "ply for hire in the Old Ford Road and Roman Road.  There they satisfy the local demand, sailors don't come so far north.  They generally take off their victims westwards to the Brothels in Brantridge Street (dark blue on our map)"

Victims? ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk