Author Topic: SCREECH of Saltash - John & Ann  (Read 3412 times)

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SCREECH of Saltash - John & Ann
« on: Saturday 01 July 06 08:39 BST (UK) »
I am interested in tracing descendants of John Screech, a waterman b ca 1798/9 Saltash, Cornwall who married my great great great grandmother Ann Eastcott (b Jacobstow). Ann already had a son John Eastcott b 1816 at Pillaton. John and Ann Screech lived on Fore Street, Saltash and had several children together, all born as far as I can tell at Saltash, of whom I have identified:

William Screech b ca 1824
Mary Screech b ca 1824
Sarah Screech b ca 1830
Ann Screech b ca 1831
Susannah Screech b ca 1833

William Screech married Harriet Glanville in 1845 and they moved to Morrice Town, Plymouth and later to Stoke Damerel.

William and Harriet had numerous children:

Born in Saltash:- Harriet Screech ca 1846
Mary Screech ca 1849
Susannah Screech ca 1853
John Screech ca 1855
William Screech ca 1856
Sarah Screech ca 1858

Born Plymouth:- Thomas Screech ca 1860
Elizabeth Screech ca 1862
Margaret Screech ca 1864
Rebecca Screech ca 1866
Charles Screech ca 1869.

Ann Screech b 1831 married Thomas Harris and had a number of children.

Mary Screech (ca 1824) married William Garland. It does not look as if they had any children.

John Screech snr appears to have married a second time in 1856 a Mary Davey but I have not been able to trace the death of his first wife, my gt*3 gmother Ann Screech. He died in 1882.

It is curious to note that a 'legend' of Cornish Spanish blood was also in our family and indeed they had black hair, blue eyes and somewhat swarthy skin. I have put this down to a mid-nineteenth century attempt to dissociate themselves from any connection with a black African slave origin and that is another possibility.

I know that several of Ann Screech snr's siblings emigrated during the 1850's and at least one family was caught up in a shipwreck with massive loss of lives so this may account for the absence of a death registration for Ann.

If you have a connection or information on the Screeches of Saltash I should be very pleased to hear from you.
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline gougy

• I am sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Screeches of Saltash - John & Ann
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 July 06 10:42 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you've seen this one from FreeBMD....

Deaths - Dec Quarter 1846 - St Germans District Vol 9 page 74
SCREECH    Ann   

No age given at this time so can't be sure?? St Germans District includes Saltash.

:)
Sussex:
Lishers of Sompting, Cunninghams of Houghton, Hammonds of Angmering, Humphrey, Hambleton, Ayling, Pope, Gent

London: Le Franc, Watson, Read

Cornwall: Phillips of St. Ives, Chappells of Penwith
Ireland: O'Connors of Co. Clare

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 July 06 12:37 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks Gougy, but Ann was still alive and in the 1851 census and I have this certificate; She could have been John Screech's mum as she was 72 when she died and her husband was Charles Screech (dec'd) Waterman of Saltash.

Howdie
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline DavidWWalker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 March 07 19:33 GMT (UK) »
I am a descended from the the SCREECH (or SCREETCH or occasionally SCRITCH) family of Saltash. Jane SCREETCH (bapt. 10 October 1750 at St Stephens by Saltash) was my ggggg-grandmother. Her father was Aaron SCREETCH (b. about 1723). I think the descendants of John Screetch mentioned in this thread are probably related to one of Jane's brothers.  Jane's had a half-brother (bapt. 7 February 1774 at St Stephens by Saltash), and perhaps the John Screech born in about 1798/9 is his son. I'd be very interested to know if it is possible to link together these two parts of the Screech family. My web site at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/huang.walker/GENEALOGY/INDIVIDUAL/index.html
contains the data for my Scree(t)ch family.

Offline Chatterbox94

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: SCREECH of Saltash - John & Ann
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 January 18 01:45 GMT (UK) »
My Grandad is William Screech, he was born in saltash. He has a brother called Thomas Screech. I hope this helps. My Grandad married Edna sandercock.

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: SCREECH of Saltash - John & Ann
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 January 18 09:24 GMT (UK) »
I had forgotten this thread.

A distant cousin filled me on about Gt Gt Gt granny Ann Screech- her death certificate was under the name Nancy Screech which explains why I didn't find it.