Author Topic: SCREECH of Saltash - John & Ann  (Read 4524 times)

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SCREECH of Saltash - John & Ann
« on: Saturday 01 July 06 08:39 BST (UK) »
I am interested in tracing descendants of John Screech, a waterman b ca 1798/9 Saltash, Cornwall who married my great great great grandmother Ann Eastcott (b Jacobstow). Ann already had a son John Eastcott b 1816 at Pillaton. John and Ann Screech lived on Fore Street, Saltash and had several children together, all born as far as I can tell at Saltash, of whom I have identified:

William Screech b ca 1824
Mary Screech b ca 1824
Sarah Screech b ca 1830
Ann Screech b ca 1831
Susannah Screech b ca 1833

William Screech married Harriet Glanville in 1845 and they moved to Morrice Town, Plymouth and later to Stoke Damerel.

William and Harriet had numerous children:

Born in Saltash:- Harriet Screech ca 1846
Mary Screech ca 1849
Susannah Screech ca 1853
John Screech ca 1855
William Screech ca 1856
Sarah Screech ca 1858

Born Plymouth:- Thomas Screech ca 1860
Elizabeth Screech ca 1862
Margaret Screech ca 1864
Rebecca Screech ca 1866
Charles Screech ca 1869.

Ann Screech b 1831 married Thomas Harris and had a number of children.

Mary Screech (ca 1824) married William Garland. It does not look as if they had any children.

John Screech snr appears to have married a second time in 1856 a Mary Davey but I have not been able to trace the death of his first wife, my gt*3 gmother Ann Screech. He died in 1882.

It is curious to note that a 'legend' of Cornish Spanish blood was also in our family and indeed they had black hair, blue eyes and somewhat swarthy skin. I have put this down to a mid-nineteenth century attempt to dissociate themselves from any connection with a black African slave origin and that is another possibility.

I know that several of Ann Screech snr's siblings emigrated during the 1850's and at least one family was caught up in a shipwreck with massive loss of lives so this may account for the absence of a death registration for Ann.

If you have a connection or information on the Screeches of Saltash I should be very pleased to hear from you.
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline gougy

• I am sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Screeches of Saltash - John & Ann
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 July 06 10:42 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you've seen this one from FreeBMD....

Deaths - Dec Quarter 1846 - St Germans District Vol 9 page 74
SCREECH    Ann   

No age given at this time so can't be sure?? St Germans District includes Saltash.

:)
Sussex:<br />Lishers of Sompting, Cunninghams of Houghton, Hammonds of Angmering, Humphrey, Hambleton, Ayling, Pope, Gent<br />
London: Le Franc, Watson, Read<br />
Cornwall: Phillips of St. Ives, Chappells of Penwith<br />Ireland: O'Connors of Co. Clare<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 July 06 12:37 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks Gougy, but Ann was still alive and in the 1851 census and I have this certificate; She could have been John Screech's mum as she was 72 when she died and her husband was Charles Screech (dec'd) Waterman of Saltash.

Howdie
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline DavidWWalker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 March 07 19:33 GMT (UK) »
I am a descended from the the SCREECH (or SCREETCH or occasionally SCRITCH) family of Saltash. Jane SCREETCH (bapt. 10 October 1750 at St Stephens by Saltash) was my ggggg-grandmother. Her father was Aaron SCREETCH (b. about 1723). I think the descendants of John Screetch mentioned in this thread are probably related to one of Jane's brothers.  Jane's had a half-brother (bapt. 7 February 1774 at St Stephens by Saltash), and perhaps the John Screech born in about 1798/9 is his son. I'd be very interested to know if it is possible to link together these two parts of the Screech family. My web site at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/huang.walker/GENEALOGY/INDIVIDUAL/index.html
contains the data for my Scree(t)ch family.

Offline Chatterbox94

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: SCREECH of Saltash - John & Ann
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 January 18 01:45 GMT (UK) »
My Grandad is William Screech, he was born in saltash. He has a brother called Thomas Screech. I hope this helps. My Grandad married Edna sandercock.

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: SCREECH of Saltash - John & Ann
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 January 18 09:24 GMT (UK) »
I had forgotten this thread.

A distant cousin filled me on about Gt Gt Gt granny Ann Screech- her death certificate was under the name Nancy Screech which explains why I didn't find it.