Author Topic: Could anyone kindly HELP me with missing O'Shaughnessy in 1900 Census??? UPDATE  (Read 6797 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Could anyone kindly HELP me with missing O'Shaughnessy in 1900 Census??? UPDATE
« Reply #27 on: Monday 30 April 12 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters,

I just got the death certificates on my great great grandparents and their daughter.

According to the death certificates, Patrick O'Shaughnessy died at home: 62 DeGraw Street, in Brooklyn, Ward 6 on 16th April 1893.

His occupation was cooper yet the directory listed him as an oiler? Umm...

Informant was the doctor.

And his wife Bridget was a Shaughnessy herself?  :o That is what her certificate says?? Her mother a Moran (not correct spelling here). The doctor probably was misinformed by someone in the family. I think Shaughnessy father was her husband's, not hers.

She died at 194 DeGraw Street...a tenement 6? It seems she had been living in NYC much longer than I thought...her certificate stated that she had been living in NYC for 45 years and in the US for the same length? A bit confusing here...

So, that means they had lived in Brooklyn...could someone kindly help me find Bridget O'Shaughnessy in 1900 Census? Please note that the surname is often badly transcribed.

Their daughter died in Staten Island. I am not sure why she died there when her husband and her family was in Brooklyn according to the 1900 Census?

The parents' names are correct with a slight wrong spelling of her mother's maiden name.

All the certificates are correct because the information matches the cemetery and the burial dates I obtained from the cemetery.

Hard to believe that Patrick O'Shaughnessy was 35 years old at the time of his death when his wife died in 1905 at age of 53 years old. I believe the couple did not know their actual ages.

Now, back to the point, that means the family settled in Manhattan for a brief period and moved to Brooklyn sometimes between 1890 and 1893. And that entry in the directory may be my great great grandfather as he died at the very address.

Then where was my great grandfather? Comes to think of it...it was him who was listed in the directory, not his father! Joseph O'Shaughnessy is my great-grandfather. That means he was in Brooklyn. And what is an oiler?

Then, why did his father's certificate stated that there are only two persons living at the address?

My mind is bogging now.

Hope you can help me sorting this out.

Thank you,

Tees

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Could anyone kindly HELP me with missing O'Shaughnessy in 1900 Census??? UPDATE
« Reply #28 on: Monday 30 April 12 19:44 BST (UK) »
Are the 4 children in the 1880 Census all the children that they had?  How many children were still living as of 1900?   Since the 1900 Census lists the number of children a woman had, I thought that might help with your Bridget, given the discrepancies in age and various surname spellings. 

www.familysearch.org has the 1892 and 1905 New York state censuses now, so those might be other sources to check if you haven't done so already.

Offline Ohio Susan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1900 city dir

Egan Thos. F liquors, 62 Degraw, h 88 1st pl
SCHOFIELD - Lancashire, Manchester, Oldham

Offline Ohio Susan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

1900  >  NEW YORK  >  KINGS  >  6-WD BROOKLYN BORO

Series: T623  Roll: 1045  Page: 306

62 Degraw she is not there
SCHOFIELD - Lancashire, Manchester, Oldham

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Ohio Susan,

It has been ages since last I posted here!

I managed to find Joseph O'Shaughnessy with his father and sister in 1892 and another family living nearby was my great grandfather's sister and her family. This information helped a lot as I know I have a right family.  Unfortunately, I am unable to find Joseph O'Shaughnessy in 1900 US Census. I found him in 1905 NYS Census with his wife and their firstborn.

I managed to track down his sisters in 1905 NYS Census and to my surprise, my great great grandmother was down as Annie when I know she was always Bridget but she was down as mother in law to this family and it's her daughter's family. 

Now I am still working on 1900 US Census for Joseph O'Shaughnessy and his mother. They were not with their sisters anywhere. Oddly, I found him living at the address in Manhattan at the time of his firstborn in 1903.

I simply want to update you on the progress I made.

Thank you,

Tees

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 15:04 BST (UK) »
You may have seen this already, but, in case you didn't, there are a lot of New York City vital records from that time frame that are online now that weren't around when you originally posted.  The website is here - https://a860-historicalvitalrecords.nyc.gov/digital-vital-records

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 16:08 BST (UK) »
 Thank you for this link, shellyesq! I have all the records as I lived in NY many years ago.
 I am impressed by the quality of the images they have now. Wow!