Author Topic: Joy/Botting/King/Martin Family of Brenchley  (Read 31483 times)

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Joy/Botting/King/Martin Family of Brenchley
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 July 11 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hello, I just found your messages about the Joy family of Brenchley, and wonder if my ancestor Elizabeth Joy, who died in 1747 just after the birth of her first and only child with Francis Ashdown, might be connected? Thanks.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline mikehobbs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 July 11 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi there. It is great to hear from you. I can't find your Elizabeth Joy on my tree, but if you can send me a direct email to (*) I will send you a copy of what I have. There will be a connection there somewhere.

I also have the name Ashdown on my tree - they married into my Botting/Botten branch. I will send you a copy of that as well.

Hope to hear from you again soon.

Regards(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Mike

Wellington
New Zealand

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 July 11 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Kells

I have quite a lot of information on the Joy family from Brenchley and am sure I have something on Elizabeth and Francis Ashdown.

I will get back to you!

Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrs.tenacious

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 28 July 11 00:58 BST (UK) »
Barbara - just stumbled across this thread and was very interested to read what you'd written some years ago when it started, about the 3 murders at Crittenden Cottage, Matfield, one of whom was the maid, a Charlotte Saunders.

My Saunders lot were from Brenchley and one or two lived in Matfield, so I'm off to do a bit of sleuthing to see if there might be a connection!

Will let you know if I find anything relevant.

Mrs. T.
Rogers: Sussex
Sanders/Saunders: Brenchley, Kent
Hales: Navenby, Lincs
Lidbetter: Sussex
Burns: Birmingham/Weston-super-Mare
Gray/Stocks: Weston-super-Mare
Hayden
Bubb: Kent
Ward: Notts

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 28 July 11 04:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mike, it was kind of you to send what you have. Would love to be able to place my family somewhere amongst your tree.

Thank you very much indeed Barbara, I'd be delighted to hear from you if you have anything.

Kelly  :)
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 28 July 11 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Kells

I have dug out my papers and have a little information on Elizabeth.

These notes were made a long while ago when I first bought the Brenchley PRs on microfiche and they need confirming.

Elizabeth Joy d Robert bap18 Oct 1724
Elizabeth Joy married Francis Ashdown27 Nov 1746
Elizabeth Ashdown bur 13 Sept 1747

Elizabeth Ashdown bap 6 Sept 1747
Elizabeth Ashdown married John Manwaring 5 May 1767

I am fairly sure that Francis remarried and had more children but have no record of that.

In my notes I put together some tentative family groupings and my hypothesis was that
Elizabeth Joy was the daughter of Robert Joy (bur 1770) and Frances Mercer(bur 1765) who married
23 March 1715/16 in East Farleigh.

Robert Joy was bap 26 Sep 1685 and was the son of Robert Joy and his wife Mary Wilson.

This Robert Joy was the son of John Joy and Margaret Cloute.

John Joy was my 9x great grandfather through his son William.

One of my "to do " jobs is to review all this early work that I did but, as I know that the Kent FHS are producing transcripts of the Brenchley PRs on CD ROM shortly, I have deferred it.  Will be a bit easier on my eyes than the fiche!

If there is anything else I might be able to help with do ask.

Mrs T

I had totally forgotten about that murder! Do please report back.

Barbara
Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 29 July 11 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Barbara,

Thank you ever so much, what a wonderful lot of information, much appreciated. I will tentatively add the names you have given me as a possible ancestry for Elizabeth Joy. Francis Ashdown did indeed remarry and have more children with Jane Austen.

I wonder if perhaps I should get my own copy of the Brenchley PR's as I have so many families from there, I wonder would the Kent FHS sell to the public (non-members) and send outside the UK? Might help me confirm all the family lines I am trying to follow which is hard to do from Australia.

Thanks again,

Kelly.

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 29 July 11 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Kells

Glad to be of help.

Kent FHS do sell to non members.  Here is a link to their website

http://www.kfhs.org.uk/index.htm

They will post information on there when the new CD is ready.

What other families do you have in Brenchley?

Barbara
Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 31 July 11 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Barbara,

Thank you for the link, I will take a look.

I have several Brenchley names, Ashdown and Joy were much further back in my tree, and I also have Diamond, Manwaring, Fuggle, Gibbons, Sudell, Crundwell, Huggett, Peerson, and Davie (in no order). I have been told there is an entry in the Brenchley PR's for John Dimonde, from whom all the Diamond's in Brenchley came. The Diamonds and Manwarings often married cousins, so I have the same ....xG-Grandparents more than once, makes for an interesting tree! Sudell had origins in Romney, Christopher Sudell came to Brenchley as a doctor. Most of my info is scant, and given to me by others. I have never seen entries other than what can be found in the IGI.

Thanks for all of your help.

Kelly.