Author Topic: Joy/Botting/King/Martin Family of Brenchley  (Read 31482 times)

Offline Kris D

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joy/Botting/King/Martin Family of Brenchley
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 09 September 17 02:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,
Thanks for your response! I have used Ancestry.com for most of my research regarding the Joy family. According to the records I've been able to find, Ernest James Mace Joy was born to James Albert Joy and Mary Clara Prendergast in Maidstone, 1845. It looks like the family then moved to Brenchley. Ernest  married Elizabeth Hickmott in April 1866 (in Cranbrook?), and they emigrated to the US in 1867 with their infant son, Harold. Several more children were born after the family settled in Akron, Ohio (Rufus, Lionel, Oliver, Herman, Eli, Bessie Clora, Laura, Minnie, James and Eunice). Their son Harold was my great grandfather. His daughter Josephine was my father's (Harry) mother.
Kris

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 08:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kris.

If there is anything I may be able to help with do let me know.

Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mark Dickens

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona

I randomly saw your posting while I was Google historical back  ground of my house.
I have lived at Great Wadd Farm in Frittenden since 2004, home of a couple of generations of Joy (Formerly known as Wadd Farm until around 1910 - there is now another newer Wadd Farm locally).

I have found Albert Joy popping up on the census when I did some research following some restoration work, during which I found an envelope addressed to Albert Joy, postmarked 1870 (Victorian penny red post). It had been folded and tucked into a gap between two beams in the garret of the house.

I'm currently selling the house and the envelope is pressed in book in a packing crate somewhere. When I find it I'm happy to send it to you as a family heirloom if you would like?

The house is amazing and you can get a picture of what it might have been like for Albert to live there is you look at the sale particulars on the Rightmove website. Prior to Albert it was known to be the residence of Beasley (notorious member of the Hawkhurst gang) and was said to be haunted by the ghost of Beasley until is was exorcised in the late 1800's - perhaps at the instigation of the Joys?

Mark

Offline Geoff Hull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 04 May 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone. I am researching the Joy family, which apparently has some deep roots in Kent.

The oldest ancestor I have some solid information for is an Alexander Joy, born Jan 23, 1820, in Brenchley. He was a bricklayer and for a while a publican. Wife's name was Elizabeth , and they had 4 children, including Sarah (b. 1843 Tunbridge), my great-great grandmother.

I believe Alexander's parents were also named Alexander and Elizabeth (not a lot of variety in those days, was there?), but at this distance my information becomes sparse.

It would be great if I could go back a few more generations. Does anyone have any hints?

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 05 May 18 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff

Alexander is connected to my Joy family and was the son of Alexander Joy and Elizabeth Warrener.  Alexander senior was the brother of my 5 x great grandfather William Joy.

I have the will of the older Alexander who died in 1840 and details of the siblings of your Alexander as well as his descendants. 

Will check out what I have a bit later today.  It is some time since I looked at my Joy family.

Which child of Sarah Joy are you descended from?

Great to find a Joy relative even if somewhat distant!

Barbara

Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline Geoff Hull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 06 May 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

Thanks for that info, it's been a bit of a slog with this branch of the family, great to have a breakthrough.

Sarah Joy had a son, apparently before marriage (very naughty in those days!), John Thomas Joy. His son, John Thomas Jr, was the father of my mother.

Cheers
Geoff

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 06 May 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi again Geoff

Sarah had 3 children before she married Joseph Russell on 18 July 1873 in Brenchley, Kent.  Illegitimacy was not so uncommon then.  Your John Thomas Joy had an older brother Henry William who also married a Dolding and an older sister Elizabeth Ann who was baptised in Brenchley on 10 August 1862.  I haven't found baptisms for the 2 boys.  Sarah was buried in Brenchley 12 July 1901.

Sarah was the daughter of Alexander Joy and Elizabeth Underdown and was baptised on 16 April 1843 at Brenchley. Her parents married on 30 January 1842 in Brenchley.

Alexander was born 23 January 1820 in Brenchley.  His parents were Alexander Joy a bricklayer and Elizabeth Warrener who was the daughter of John Warrener a Carrier. They had married in Brenchley on 2 November 1802.

Alexander senior was baptised in Brenchley on 13 June 1779 and was the son of William Joy and his wife Sarah variously called Splayfoot/Playfoot and variants.  She signed Splayfoot on her marriage record of 21 February 1770.

I hope this is something to be going on with.  Let me know what else you want.  Of course, this is my own research so you should satsify yourself that my findings are correct.

So your ancestor was John Thomas Joy  born 1891 the son of John Thomas and Ellen Celia Dolding? I can see him in the censuses up to 1911 and would love to know what happened after.  He seems to have had a lot of siblings!

Barbara
Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline Geoff Hull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 06 May 18 21:32 BST (UK) »
Yes, John had a lot of brothers and sisters. I guess he strayed from the bricklaying profession, and tried other endeavors. He served in the first world war, in Egypt and Palestine, Royal Cyclist Corp. He later helped run his father's grocery business in Tunbridge and Enfield. He married in 1915. He also had an artistic ability, and worked in display and advertising, particularly after the crash in 1929. Family lore has it that he designed the Pelican logo for the Guinness brewing company, but not certain of that. This info from my aunt, John's older daughter.

I posted a picture of John and his parents on the North West Kent Family History Society website, where I was also inquiring recently.

We plan on visiting Kent this September (from Canada), so I hope to poke around some of the places my ancestors tread.

Thanks for all the help.

Geoff

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 07 May 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff

Thank you for that information. 

My grandfather's half sister emigrated to Canada after WW1 and I have recently tracked my husband's 3 x great grandfather and his second family from Norfolk, England to Clark, Durham County, Ontario.

Back to the Joy family - Alexander and his wife Elizabeth Underdown had 6 children in total all baptised in Brenchley between 1843 Sarah and the twins Alfred and Edwin  in 1856.  You can now confirm mother's maiden name in the GRO index by registering at this site

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

It is free.

As you have a lot of Brenchley interests you may find it worthwhile to invest in CD 34 produced by the Kent FHS as it has transcripts of the Parish Registers.

https://www.kfhs.org.uk/shop-cd

I hope you have a great time when you come to the UK.  Would volunteer to meet up with you in Kent but as I live in Cornwall and am heading into Norfolk for some research in September unfortunately that won't be possible. 

Brenchley church is well worth a visit and there is an inscription on one of the external walls "W A Joy 1787" which I believe relates to our Joy family who seem to have been masons/builders/bricklayers for generations.  When I get to  the Kent Archives in Maidstone next I want to check the churchwardens accounts as they should give details of payments for the maintenance of the church. 

I have  photos of the inscription and of the church.  If you would like copies  let me have your email address by personal message and I will send them to you.  Please don't put you email address on the open forum.

I have traced the Joys back to about 1600 in Brenchley although I do need to verify some of the links.  It gets trickier the further back you go of course as the Parish Register information is sparse and needs to be cross referenced with other parish records if possible.

Let me know if I can help with anything more.  I have accumulated quite a lot of information since I started my research.

Barbara

Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts