Author Topic: Alexander Lothian  (Read 5707 times)

Offline Seraphim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Lothian
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Nice to see your post - it was flagged up by my email account.

I know of your dad as he is my dads Uncle Norman! Normans brother, Thomas, was my grandad.  I know your grandparents lived and worked in the Hopetoun Estate so I contacted them to see if they had any info but unfortunately their archives department couldn't find anything.  We have managed to trace back quite far on the family tree now and I am now trying to flesh out the people.

I will have a wee look at my tree tomorrow and get back to you about any gaps.

Julie

I guess that makes you my First Cousin Once Removed!
Scotland - East Coast - Lothian, Heugh, Brown, Laird, Taylor, Hannah
                 West Coast- Jackson, Clark, Templeton, Wallace

Offline exel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 August 10 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,

Thanks for your update. I remember your Grandad Tommy (with his quick wit and great sense of humour!) and your Grandma Peggy. I guess that your Dad is maybe Raymond, and that his older brothers are Alexander and Lachlan (may have that the wrong way round). I last saw Lachlan at my Mum's funeral in 2006, but haven't had any contact with either Raymond or Alexander since I was a young child (when we lived at Culzean for 1 year during 1956/7) due to a gardening job that your Grandma actually set up for my Dad! (She was on the catering side there, if I recall correctly - and your Grandad was a postman based in Maybole). Will have a think about other wider family members who might be much more knowledgable than me re the Hopetoun connection etc.

All the best,
Stuart

Offline smartyforfour

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 October 15 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

I know 5 years have passed on these posts but I have just simply 'googled' my granddad's name and came straight to this!
James Taylor Laird Lothian was my grandfather who was one of the two children of Alexander and Euphemia to 'move south'. Stuart - that must make you my dad's (Desmond) cousin and also Julie's dad would have been a cousin too.
We are in touch with Doreen who has provided a wealth of family information.