Author Topic: Alexander Lothian  (Read 5705 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Alexander Lothian
« on: Sunday 02 July 06 20:49 BST (UK) »
Alexander Lothian appears as a 29 yr old living with his wife Jane and their family in the 1881 census for Linlithgow.

The census states that he was born in Linlithgow but I cannot find his birth on Scotlands People.  Any ideas?  All thoughts gratefully considered.

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline Seraphim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Lothian
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I know that this message is a couple of years old, but if you are still interested I think that this Alexander Lothian is my G-G-G-Grandfather.  I have just started researching the family tree and any info/help would be great. 

Julie
Scotland - East Coast - Lothian, Heugh, Brown, Laird, Taylor, Hannah
                 West Coast- Jackson, Clark, Templeton, Wallace

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,

If you do descend from Alexander you will be a cousin of my wife.

If you can provide more information on your line we may be able to establish a connection.

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline Seraphim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

On the 1881 census Alexander Lothian and Jane Heugh had a son, also Alexander who was 3 at this time.  He in turn had a son named Thomas in 1904 who was my grandfather.

The first Alexander was one of at least 4 siblings and his parents were Mark Lothian from Tranent (abt 1813) and Alison Mitchell from Kirkliston.  This has caused me some bother as they have been mispelt on various census records as Louden and Laethian.

I am still looking into Janes side - I only really started this a ew months ago off an on but have made some inroads recently!

Is this any help??

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This is v interesting because I have Alexander Lothian b1877 married to Euphemia Hay Brown Laird but no son named Thomas!

However, Alexander and Euphemia did have a son named Charles, who was born in 1904 at Linlithgow, West Lothian.

Offline Seraphim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Yes Effie and Alexander were married in 1900.  They had about 6 children I think, 5 boys and one girl, another Alexander being the eldest born in 1901.  I remember the Charles you mention and he was my grandfathers brother. Thomas was born in Linlithgow on Jun 08 1904.  Thomas' youngest son is my father.

Definately family then! :)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,

Contrary to my earlier post Charles was actually born in 1902 at Linlithgow (not 1904).  I will send you a private message about this.

Offline Seraphim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Ok, look forward to hearing from you.

Offline exel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 21:06 BST (UK) »
Can shed some light re Alexander Lothian and Euphemia Hay Brown Laird (his wife) as they were my grandparents. These two had seven children - 6 boys: Alexander (who spent several years in Canada), Charles, Thomas, James (who went south to England and died there), Robert and Norman followed by 1 girl - Euphemia (known as Effie). Apart from the two mentioned above, most stayed in, or returned to, Scotland. The last two to pass away were the two youngest, my Dad (Norman) and Effie, his beloved sister (Edinburgh-based). Later in life, Alexander Lothian (my Grandad) lived with my parents, till he died, when I was about 9 or 10 (in 1958 or 1959) in Falkland, Fife. My Grandma pre-deceased my birth (in 1949) and I would welcome more details of her. Any help I can give to close family members would be generously supplied.