Author Topic: ford family  (Read 7814 times)

Offline lv426

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
ford family
« on: Monday 03 July 06 21:10 BST (UK) »
would anyone have any information on elizabeth ford born approx 1777 in Middlestone (middlestots/middlestotes?), Edrom, Berwick, Scotland.

she married a james anderson who was born about 1773 in the same area.
ANDERSON - Berwickshire/Selkirkshire
ARMISTEAD
BENNETT
DARLEY
DEWS -
DISNEY -France/UK
EARLL 
EMOND - Selkirk
FORD
KENNEDY
LEADER
STUBBS
TUNNOCK
WILKINSON

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ford family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 17:11 BST (UK) »
hi pal,

there is lots of submitted entries for this couple on the igi's, best to trust the extracted entries

the ford children from the marriage:

isabel...19/3/1798
christian...christened...22/9/1802
mary...christened...27/11/1808
margaret...christened...24/2/1811
elizabeth...christened...30/6/1814

all edrom

huge big gaps in this family, best to request a look up for the 1841 census, hopefully they are in it

always searching

joe
helping wherever possible

Offline lv426

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 July 07 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe, thanks for that information, much appreciated.
this is the information that i have been able to find.

FORD, Elizabeth
Birth : ABT 1777 Duns, Berwick, Scotland ?
Family:

Marriage: 8 APR 1798 in Duns, Berwick, Scotland M117351
    Spouse:

ANDERSON, James
        Birth : ABT 1773 Duns, Berwick, Scotland ?

Children:

ANDERSON, Isabel
        Birth : 12 MAR 1798 Duns / Edrom, Berwick, Scotland FHL Film 103224 / FHL Film 1067896
        ANDERSON, John
        Birth : 2 AUG 1800 Edrom, Berwick, Scotland FHL Film 1067896
        ANDERSON, Christian
        Birth : 22 SEP 1802 Edrom, Berwick, Scotland FHL Film 1067896
        ANDERSON, George
        Birth : 16 DEC 1805 Edrom, Berwick, Scotland FHL Film 1067896
        ANDERSON, Mary
        Birth : 18 OCT 1808 Edrom, Berwick, Scotland FHL Film 1067896
        ANDERSON, Margaret
        Birth : 24 JAN 1811 Edrom, Berwick, Scotland FHL Film 1067896
        ANDERSON, Elizabeth
        Birth : 21 MAY 1814 Edrom, Berwick, Scotland FHL Film 1067896

sometime in the 1830 i think some of the family moved to galashiels/selkirk area, i know for sure George Anderson did as he was married there in 1830.

i am not sure if james and elizabeth stayed behind with some members of the family or moved as well or had died by then.

I know the family history from George Anderson until the current day (George left Scotland for Australia in 1854) i was trying to trace back from james and Elizabeth.

thanks again
ARMISTEAD
BENNETT
DARLEY
DEWS -
DISNEY -France/UK
EARLL 
EMOND - Selkirk
FORD
KENNEDY
LEADER
STUBBS
TUNNOCK
WILKINSON

Offline simonwpb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 October 07 03:44 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have researched my family tree back to the Fords (Foords) of Berwickshire. Although I do not have Elizabeth Ford [1777 Edrom] in my tree, we may have some relatives? My ancestor was John Ford 1777 (Hutton) and his son was John Ford (1801 - born Edrom), so maybe a sister? Hope it helps.
- SIMON

These are my research notes:
The Fords are also sometimes spelled Foord in older parish records. There are several ‘Foord’ families that have their roots in 18th Century Berwick-shire.

To trace the ancestry of John Ford (1801) to earlier generations in Berwickshire, a researcher has to unravel the correct Ford family from parish marriage and birth records. A search of births and baptisms in the 1770’s finds about a dozen Foord familes in the County in about 6 parishes:

- 10 miles south of Duns in Coldstream Parish there were the families of Adam and John Ford with 14 births.

- 10 miles east of Duns the families of John, William and James Foord recorded 10 births in Gordon Parish.

- 10 miles NE of Duns on the coast in Coldingham parish William Foord and Helen Foord had 4 children, and John Foord and Isobel Thomson had 1 daughter in 1776.

- Edrom, Chirnside, Hutton, Foulden and Mordington Parishes are the five adjacent parishes heading east out of Duns towards the English border and the coastal town of Berwick-on-Tweed. [ John Ford (1801) was born in Edrom Parish]. Ancestors Benjamin, James and William Foord were from Hutton; James Ford and his wide Magdalen were in Chirnside; George Foord and Helen Cockburn were in Foulden. Foords were not born in Edrom Parish until the end the century. These Parishes are the most likely place where these ancestors lived.
Scotland; Dumfries (Beattie), Ayrshire (Anderson) Galashiels (Aitken/Mack) Berwick (John Ford, William Ford)<br />Manchester (Walter Lake 1865-1903, Green) Great Budworth (William Smith, formerly Rayner) <br />Worcs. (Stourbridge- Samuel Hill) (Dudley- Anderson)

Offline lv426

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 October 07 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon, thanks for the reply, i still don't really have any concrete proof that Elizabeth Ford was born in 1777 i was just going from hand written family records, so they could be out by a couple of years.
The family was definetely around the edrom area, the first proof i have is the birth of their first child isabel in 19/3/1798 in middlestotes, the rest of the children were born close by (reedy loch, blackadder).
what's frustrating is i see records of fords in the area and in the hutton area south that would nearly certainly be related but i can't find any concrete proof of any links, there are andersons in allantown which is right next to blackadder around the early 1800s.
where would be the best place to look for any marriage record for james and elizabeth?
James profession was firstly listed as hind then later on carrier.

one other thing i see that you have galashiels and james anderson listed..george anderson the son of james and elizabeth ended up going there but i am not sure if his parents did and how many others in the family

ARMISTEAD
BENNETT
DARLEY
DEWS -
DISNEY -France/UK
EARLL 
EMOND - Selkirk
FORD
KENNEDY
LEADER
STUBBS
TUNNOCK
WILKINSON

Offline simonwpb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 October 07 16:52 BST (UK) »
Dont think we have a connection with James Anderson. My James was born 1833 and was a draper who moved to England. Being a very common Scots name I have not been able to trace his line.

My tree has Aitken and Mack from Galashiels who married a Ford.

I used ScotlandsPeople to download all 245 Ford and Foord baptisms in Berwickshire to try to identify the family lines. Checking the data I dont see your Elizabeth Ford 1777... the closest was Elizabeth Foord 1786 in Hutton to parents William F. and Margaret Crow.

The problem is there is no record on Scotlandspeople of a Ford/Anderson marriage in Berwick. although there were 21 marriages of James Anderson prior to 1800. I don't have another method to check Scottish parish records, perhaps someone else out there can help.

I think the most common occupation in the area was hind (farmer). The Gazetteer on GENUKI was helpful describing the area to me, never having been to Berwickshire.
Scotland; Dumfries (Beattie), Ayrshire (Anderson) Galashiels (Aitken/Mack) Berwick (John Ford, William Ford)<br />Manchester (Walter Lake 1865-1903, Green) Great Budworth (William Smith, formerly Rayner) <br />Worcs. (Stourbridge- Samuel Hill) (Dudley- Anderson)

Offline kalesha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 09:06 GMT (UK) »
hi do either of you have a robert ford born 1775 coldingham father william foord 1751 in your trees

Offline simonwpb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry not in my tree...

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 December 15 21:55 GMT (UK) »
ivy246   I also have FOORD family tree from Gordon,Westruther and Chirnside then up to Galashiels.It starts Joseph Foord son of Joseph who married an Agnes Allison 1784 in Gordon. There are no Elizabeths.I have it all the way through to my Aunt Christina FORD who will be 90 on 5th January 2016.Her father Aaron was born in the Red Lion P.H. Chirnside.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders