Author Topic: Tullochgorm Parish records  (Read 20179 times)

Offline keigcf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tullochgorm Parish records
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 06 August 09 09:17 BST (UK) »
The 1891 scottish census shows John Grant and sister Mary Hulse, Mary Grant and Jessie Grant at Lochgorm, Duthil. I have the wedding cert of Mary Grant (Lochgorm)to Henry Hulse (Burton on Trent) on 31st Aug 1857,and then on the 1861 census I have Mary Hulse with her parents John and Mary Grant and a  baby Michael Thomas.... No Henry thou at Farmers house, Duthill.  On Michael Thomas Hulse Birth Cert, he was son of Mary Grant ans Henry Hulse 1/12/1858 born at Lochgorm.

Offline keigcf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 06 August 09 09:21 BST (UK) »
My dad is certain the family were there up untill the 1950's.

Offline keigcf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 February 10 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Just hoping that there may be more Grants/Hulse links 6 months on in Duthil, It would be great to link up some of this information

Offline June15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 06 February 11 21:54 GMT (UK) »
  I am trying to sort out my Grant/Robertson connections and have some information from stone markers at Duthil.  My great grandmother, Jessie Grant (1863-1921) lived at Tullochgribban cottage (at Dulnain Bridge, I believe, and thus 3 mi from Grantown and close to Boat-of Garten).  Can Tullochgribban and Tullochgorum be the same place? 
  Thank you for any information,  June

Offline larkspur3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 07 February 11 03:54 GMT (UK) »
June,
They are two different places. Tullochgribban is between Dulnain Bridge and Duthil, near the Dulnain. Tiullochgorum is on the Spey, downriver from (northeast of) Boat of Garten and Drumuillie. You can find both if you go to www.streetmap.co.uk and type in the names.

Offline June15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 04:36 GMT (UK) »
  What a great website!  It locates places I have come across such as on the stone inscriptions that I didn't think I would be able to locate, including Milton of Muckrach and Balnacruie.  Many thanks,   June

Offline larkspur3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 10 February 11 03:38 GMT (UK) »
June, did you see Ellen's posting on page 1 of this message thread? Her Grants are from Balnacruie, too. It's not a common name! Where else did your family live? I'm tracing Grants from Duthil and Gartenmore.

Laura

Offline June15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 February 11 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Laura,
  I may have been too quick to say Balnacruie, other than I have been seeing it on the censuses that I have been going through, and was surprised at how very close it is to Duthil (Donald Mcgregor, 1798; Penuel Mcgregor, 1825-; John Grant abt 1859; John Robertson 1862-1947; James Grant, abt 1867; Margaret Grant, abt 1867; Jane Ann Grant, 1893; Donald Grant Robertson(1900-1980); Tullochgribban (Jessie Grant 1863-1921); Milton, and Docharn (James Grant abt 1834-1874).   The other area that I believe my family is from includes Alvie, Insh and Kingussie (Lachlen Robertson, abt 1822).  It seems my people were shepherds and farmers, although my grandfather and his 2 brothers were all bobbies, I believe, and thus moved out of the highlands for jobs.  I don't know if any of these names will connect, but it is always possible...  I also know that several of the Robertsons went on to immigrate to both Nova Scotia and to New Zealand, but my details are sparse. It truly is a large, facinating puzzle, is it not?    June

Offline duncan1786

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 28 October 11 09:15 BST (UK) »
I'm   looking for any information regarding a Duncan Martin who was probably born around 1765 in Minard or Tullochgorm.  He enventually went to Carradale and had his first of 8 children with Mary McCallum at Achnasavil farm in 1786.  Family folklore, and the McNabs from Minard (around 1922), say that Duncan came from Minard.  A descendant of Duncan Martin, born around 1899, says that her Martin ancestors lived in Smithy's Cottage (or Smiddy's Cottage) at Tullochgorm.  I'm an amateur genealogist and trying to confirm if Duncan Martin did come from Minard, and that his Martin's lived in Tullochgorm/Minard.  Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Daryl Martin