Author Topic: Tullochgorm Parish records  (Read 20139 times)

Offline larkspur3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tullochgorm Parish records
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 November 08 04:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shala;
Who are your Grants from Tullochgorum? That's a family line I have some information on--depending on what century you're looking in.

Laura

Offline BronwynJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 November 08 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Laura,

I'm descended from a line of James GRANTs, for example:

GRANT, James, born 2 October 1786 at Nairn, Scotland, married Caroline Rose NEVE 12 September 1818 at Tenterden, Kent, England.  Died 5 December 1870 at Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.  James GRANT (1786-1870) was the son of the Reverend James GRANT (?-?), a Presbyterian minister, who was born at "Tullochgorum"  Boat O'Garten, Invernesshire, Scotland.  Reverend James GRANT & his wife, Margaret, had two sons (James & John), & two daughters (Ann & Janet).

I have scanned a copy of some Grant family letters here:  http://zynnyadesign.com/genealogy.html#grant

These two James Grants were mentioned in Burke's Colonial Gentry:  http://zynnyadesign.com/Tullochgorum1.JPG.

Amongst the family papers I found mention of Reverend James Grant & his wife Margaret living at a manse in Nairn.

I would be interested to know what information you have on the Tullochgorum Grants.

Bronwyn.

"Who are your Grants from Tullochgorum? That's a family line I have some information on--depending on what century you're looking in.

Laura"
Blair, Galloway, Scotland, 1815
Pegg, Nouton, Leicestershire, 1833
Neal, London, 1805
Gathercole, Eriswell, Suffolk, 1786
Billiman, Hockham, Norfolk, 1791
Coles, Launton, Oxfordshire, 1779
James, Banbury,1830
Stuffins, St Ives, Cambridge, 1811
Chapman, Sutton St Edmond, Lincolnshire, 1817
Austin, Tetsworth, Oxfordshire, 1808
Tuffrey, Bicester, Oxfordshire, 1839
Grant, Boat of Garten, Invernesshire, 1766
Neve, Tiffenden, Kent, 1749
Tanner, Ditchling, Sussex, 1674
Luxford, Hurspierpo

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 November 08 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Laura

(Sorry others for hi-jacking the thread!)

I am a Grant, and my family are from Balnacruie, Duthil - about 1/2 mile from Tullochgorum. On my great uncle Donald Grant's birth cert it states he was born at "Balnacruie of Tullochgorm". I'm sure my dad has mentioned cousins at Tullochgorum when he was young. Dad pronounces it Tullochgorm. As you also have connections with M(a)cBeans from Alvie and Kingussie (see Alvie/McBeans post), we must have a connection somewhere.

My Alvie/Kingussie MacBeans and Duthil Grants joined up when Alexander Grant b. 1806 @ Balnacruie married Isabella McBean b. 1820 Kingussie (both parents from Alvie) in 1857 @ Balnacruie.

Regards

Ellen

Grant, Wright, Packman, Parley

Offline larkspur3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Bronwyn,
The branch of Grants that held the lease on Tullochgorum is quite well documented, in fact, one of the descendants Dr Isabel Grant wrote a little book on the clan. There are no James Grants on the list that I know of. George Grant was the family member who held the lease (what I call the "main line family") during the time frame you're searching; he had to give it up when Sir James Grant of Grant (the land's owner) redeemed the lease in 1777 in order to redraw some of his properties. Of course, there were no doubt numerous other families living on the estate at the time but I wouldn't expect any of them but the main family to show up in Burke's Colonial Gentry--that's what is puzzling. Have you checked the Gentry--the actual book rather than the typed copy you have? Surely that would supply some earlier ancestors.

Offline larkspur3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 December 08 05:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ellen;
Yes, it would certainly be very nice if we were related and could exchange information! However, I've found there to be a lot of folks with these last names in these locations around that time--making it very difficult to figure out just who is in which family. We certainly are close, though.

I found this one note on Balnacruie:
born Jan.   5, 1754   Jean dau to Alex. Grant in Belnacree (Balnacruie).

Was wondering where you got the birth date of 1782 in Alvie for Donald McBain, and do you know where in Alvie he was from? I have copies of the parish registers from that year and his birth doesn't show up. Nor does Ann Warren b. 1787 in Alvie. Assuming I'm looking at the right family tree, of course!

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 December 08 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Larkspur3

Donald McBean is my 3 x great grandfather. His birthdate is estimated @ 1782 from consistent census info and his death cert in 1862. He died @ Gallovie, Duthil, close to Balnacruie, where his daughter Isabella, my 2 x great grandmother, had married into the Grants of Balnacruie. I have not as yet been able to confirm Donald's birth.

Ann Warren, his wife, my 3 x great grandmother, was christened 02 Jan 1787 @ Alvie. (on IGI) Daughter of Robert Warren and Janet McBean. Robert Warren was b. c 1753 from his gravestone in Kingussie. He died 14 Feb 1838.
Janet McBean was b. c 1755 estimated from the same gravestone. She died 27 Dec 1835. Ann Warren died 4 days before her husband Donald McBean in 1862 @ Gallovie, Duthil.

Donald McBean and Ann Warren were married in 1808. At that time, Ann was noted as daughter of Robert Warren from Raitts, which was the principal settlement in the area prior to the 1790's "planned town" of Kingussie. Donald was servant to Angus MacEdward of Kerrow Meadhonach, the existing Kerrow Farm.

Both consistently note their place of birth as Alvie on 1841, 1851 and 1861 censuses.

Am very interested in the Jean Grant born Balnacruie in 1754. So far, the furthest back I have definitely placed my family at Balnacruie is approx 1800.  My 3 x great grandfather Alexander Grant was born there 1806, as were his siblings, but I have no proof as yet prior to that of our occupation of Balncruie. Alexander's parents were James Grant b. c 1770 - died between 1841-1851 @ Balnacruie and Ann McGregor b. 1770-1774 Duthil - died between 1851 - 1855 @ Balnacruie.

If you can add anything at all I'd be more than grateful.

Kind Regards

Ellen
Grant, Wright, Packman, Parley

Offline larkspur3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 February 09 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ellen;
No luck, I'm afraid. I've gone through the records I have for Alvie and Duthil and don't find any of your folks. I'm sure your ancestors knew mine since they were in the same place at the same time, but I can't find any information to add to what you have.

Balnacruie also doesn't appear much of anywhere, not even in the National Archives catalogue. There's a rent roll from 1817 and it isn't even on there. (see Google Books, In the Shadow of Cairngorm: Chronicle of the United Parishes of Abernethy, appendix V)

We'll have to hope that someone else posts more info that provides the clues we need!

all the best,
Laura

Offline keigcf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 19:56 BST (UK) »
My Mary Grant (1828) lived at Lochgorm, Duthill. She was the daughter of John Grant & Mary Mcgregor. All these must be related as the area is very low populated.

Offline larkspur3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 06 August 09 05:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, if only we could figure out the links! Unfortunately, John and Mary are two of the most common names in Scotland so the question is: who is the right one?

Was she born in Lochgorm? If not, how do you know she was living there? Any other siblings or relevant pieces of information?

Laura