Author Topic: Spotted Dog  (Read 7858 times)

Offline Candma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Spotted Dog
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 July 06 23:14 BST (UK) »
I believe the name "Hark unto Blue Cap," that Jean referred to in 1861 refers to a hunting hound.  In the 1834 Pigot Commercial Directory the premise is listed as "Hound, or Blue Cap, Jane Greathead, Coniscliffe."
There is a Blue Cap Inn, at Sandiway.  Bluecap was a foxhound owned by Mr John Smith-Barry of  the Cheshire Hounds, and in 1762 took part in a famous race, at Newmarket, for a 500-guinea wager with Hugo Meynell, the Master of the Quorn Hunt.
Locally, blue cap also refers to the bluetit, the blue flame from a miners lamp with the presence of fire damp, or the mining Blue Cap Fairies who expected a fair days work for a fair days pay.  There was also a Blue Cap champion Wensleydale ewe, but I believe this was around 1850, after the above 1834 date.
I believe the "Hound" in the listing is the definitive explanation, a personal opinion only!
Hodgson/Pounder/Porter - New Forest, N. Yks.
Lee/Allinson/Shield/Porter/Horn(e) - Teesdale.
Lo(a)ngstaff - Bedale/Staindrop.
Raisbeck/Shaw/Chapman - Hawnby & Cowton.
Jewson - Norfolk & Tyneside. Marley - Liverton.
Lilley - Lincs. & Staindrop.

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 July 06 06:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Candma!

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keenbutconfused

• RootsChat Member
  • It was just an average working day on the quayside
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 00:37 BST (UK) »
Just reading this, reminded me that there is also a pub called the Hark to Bounty at Slaidburn in Lancashire, also named after a hound!  Commoner than one would have thought!
Joice, Coburn, Fairs - Easington, Durham villages, Jarrow, Hebburn, Monkwearmouth, Chester le Street, Gateshead, Haswell....she was only a coal miner's daughter (well, grand-daughter)

Offline jean4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 September 06 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hark to Bounty sounds a very old expression, I wonder how old that pub is.

Offline keenbutconfused

• RootsChat Member
  • It was just an average working day on the quayside
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 September 06 01:55 BST (UK) »
Here's a couple of links which show the pub and give a (brief) history.  (Having looked at it, I actually now think it's probably made up!)  It is, however, a very old and beautiful but a bit, how shall we say, over gentrified!

http://www.harktobounty.co.uk/
http://www.harktobounty.co.uk/history.htm

It is in a part of the country very popular with HM The Queen - The Inn at Whitewell is said to be a great favourite with her and her family!
http://www.greatinns.co.uk/inns/whitewell

Joice, Coburn, Fairs - Easington, Durham villages, Jarrow, Hebburn, Monkwearmouth, Chester le Street, Gateshead, Haswell....she was only a coal miner's daughter (well, grand-daughter)

Offline roberto78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 17:05 BST (UK) »
I was looking for info on the spotted dog as my great great grandfather was the inn keeper for a time -he was George Stainthorpe and died at High Coniscliffe aged 81 in 1877.Would Jane4 have any more details ?

Offline jean4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Roberto
Great to hear about George Stainthorpe, do you know what years he was the inn keeper? John Simpson was there in 1861 age 32 his wife Catherine and children Charles 2 Sarah 6 months. They had a servant Margaret Layton age 13! The original part of the building is said to be haunted (we had a meal in there last Sunday to celebrate our sons birthday) The is a photograph in there which could maybe be George or John, certainly very old.The Northern Echo wrote in 1969 - A historic pub celebrates its 250th anniversary this weekend. Colin Hostein the manager said there was some debate about its name changing from Hark unto Blue Cap. In the early part of the century the pub was just a couple of rooms in a converted cottage. ( the room we ate in was one of them and they use the other for a small office) So that makes 3 former managers we know up to now. I'll call again at some stage and see if the present manager has anythin to add.
Regards Jean 4

Offline roberto78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 09:22 BST (UK) »
HI Jane
all I know is
George was in the 1841 census as a farmer at Low Coniscliffe(?Moor House)born at Manfield.
In the 1851 census he was inn keeper at the Spotted Dog
At his sons wedding (John my great grandfather)1856 Holy Trinty Church Darlington he was also noted as Inn Keeper at theSpotted Dog.
Remarkably I lived at Eppleby from 1970-75 and was not aware of this history
I now live at Scarbrough -but will now aso have lunch at the SD next time I am In the area.
Regards
Roberto

Offline jean4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Roberto
It is really interesting that in 1851 the pub was called The Spotted Dog. In the 1861 It was Hark unto Blue Cap and at some stage it has reverted back to SD. It needs more investigating (1871 etc) I will keep you posted and would love to know how you enjoy your visit etc.
Regards Jean