Author Topic: 1861 norwich norfolk census look up please if poss  (Read 2232 times)

Offline hurracane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1861 norwich norfolk census look up please if poss
« on: Wednesday 27 October 04 19:01 BST (UK) »
Looking for my Great Grand father  Henry Durrant , have some knowledge of him , need to know more !, he was born in Norwich 1839 son of John and Mary Durrant , I think !, would really like to know where he was on the 1861 census , and when he married Elizabeth , no maiden name , he had a family with her then he was on the 1881 census with an Elizabeth Raby , with whom he had a nother family with , one of being a George Christmas Raby , my Grandfather , so Henry moved about a bit .
I would be very grateful if any one can help at all , with thanks  Janet .  :)

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 norwich norfolk census look up please if poss
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 November 04 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi found this in the 1851 census

John Durrant   Head   50   Bricklayer    b. yarmouth
Mary Durrant   Wife    52                      b. Oxf
Robert   "          Son    21 Brushmaker  b. Norwich
Edmund  "         Son    16 Shoemaker   b. Norwich
Henry     "          Son    11 Scholar         b. Norwich

Living  Oak st, St Martin at Oak, Norwich, Norfolk hope this helps

Good luck  Anjo

Offline hurracane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 November 04 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Anjo, thank you very much for the info , but have already got that one , have been to the Norfolk family history society today here in Norwich , to join and to see if any one there could help , but alas it seems after looking at the index for the 1861 census here in Norwich my Henry was not on it !, so that asks a nother question where was he ???????? , we know his mother came from Oxford and his father from Great Yarmouth , so as the very help full lady who sorted me out was saying he could have gone to vist relations !, so Iam really stuck again now , any suggestion ????? many thanks best wishes Janet. :(

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 November 04 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Did you find another members of the family? His parents or Siblings? Do you know who his Aunts and Uncles could be?

What was his occupation? that could help with where he might be.

If you ever want another lookup just ask

I have found a Henry Durrant age 33 born Norwich living in Barracks in Preston, Surrey!!!
He is married to Isabella and has a son Henry age 1

Have I gone off the beam or is this him?

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 November 04 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Sorry forgot to say this was the 1871 census Anjo

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 November 04 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Sorry again!!!!!!!!! Finally able to use the Lds site it hasn't worked all morning He's not your Henry is he as he is listed with Isabell in 1881.

Next time I'll find the right one. Anjo

Offline hurracane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 November 04 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Anjo , many thanks for trying , Henry is going to be a hard one to find , Henrys father John came from Great Yarmouth , and his mother Mary from Oxford !, other than that I do not know much about his family , yet !.
This could take a while ! thanks Janet   :)

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 November 04 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet did you try the 1861 census index just for Norwich or the whole of Norfolk? ( Just a thought) and did you try different varients of his name?
Have you any idea at all when he got married to Elizabeth and where she was from? maybe he could be where she was from if they only just got married. Do you know where his children were born? That could give you a clue. Let me know if you come up with any other  place he could be in Norfolk as I have the 1861 census and will take a look ok.( I don't have an index and can only search it by place names). good luck in finding Henry. Anjo

Offline hurracane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 November 04 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Anjo , many thanks for all your help ! no idea at all about Elizabeth listeds Henrys wife on the 1871cenus , other than her age which was 28 !, they lived at st Augustines Walls private homes here in Norwich , have no idea what that was , have tried to make enquries about but have not got far .
There is just a small chance that the night of the 1861 census Henry was visting his Grandperants , that would be his fathers people who came from GT Yarmouth .
I only looked at the index for Norwich , do not think the family history society had the index for Norfolk .
So if you come a cross anything in GT Yarmouth , with Durrant in it , would love to know !
All Henrys children were born in Norwich , the ones with wife Elizabeth and my Elizabeth Raby .
Henry was in the shoe trade , shoe maker on the 1871and boot maker on the 1881census , so one in the same !.
Henry could have even been visting his mothers family , they are from Oxford , so even further a field.
Thanks again best wishes Janet . :)