Author Topic: 1861 norwich norfolk census look up please if poss  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 norwich norfolk census look up please if poss
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 November 04 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Checked the 1851 index and there are no likely candidates for grandparents of Henry.  I checked but could find no marriages for him but in the 1901 census I found Henry age 63 born Norwich retired bootmaker he was an inmate in Norwich Union Workhouse. He was listed as single, so maybe he never actually married and only led people to believe he was. In my opinion he wasn't married to  Elizabeth Raby and he could have just taken her children to be his own She could have been married before.

Do you have a census of him in 1871 with wife Elizabeth? If you could order birth certs for his children they often give a street address if you are lucky. Other than that there isn't much anyone can do untill you get some more facts.

You would be suprised how many couples said they were married but actually never were or if they did get married they could have had 1,2,3 children before the marriage took place.

Well I hope you get a break and some answers All the best Anjo

Offline hurracane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 norwich norfolk census look up please if poss
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 November 04 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Anjo, thanks again saw you post last night but it was getting late !, so had to give in and go to bed !, yes have Henry on the 1871 census with the Elizabeth listed as his wife they were living in st Augustines wall private homes ? what ever they were ?, with a family , but then for whatever reason he is then to be found ten  :) :)years later with a nother Elizabeth this one a Raby , which is my maiden name .
She died a spinster so yes they never married , she gave all their chilren her name of Raby , and yes I have found Henry and my grandfather in the workhouse together , then my granfather got lucky and was placed in a boys home when Henry was still alive , do not yet know when he died !.
So thanks for all your help , wil have to try the marriges long trawl , but theres no other way to do it !, best wishes Janet .