Author Topic: Baptised twice?  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Baptised twice?
« on: Tuesday 11 July 06 08:38 BST (UK) »
Has anyone else come across double entries for baptism?
I have found in Family Search what I believe to be baptisms for the same child
Jane Smith 2 Nov 1760 parents Francis/Alice Preston on the Weald Moors, Shropshire (C035142)
Jane Smith 2 Nov 1760 parents Francis/Alice, Wellington,Shropshire (C037522)
If I am right Francis and Alice m in Edmond Shropshire and had other children baptised in Preston on the Weald Moors, Shropshire They also had one son baptised in Wellington only Jane has the double entry. I think Alice nee Munlow was born at Wellington.
I suspect that they were living in Preston on the Weald Moor but had their first child Jane baptised at the mother's family home and the baptism  has been recorded in the Preston on the Weald Moor register. What do you think?
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Baptised twice?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 08:47 BST (UK) »
Trees,

Are the entries "submitted" or "extracted"?

If they are both "extracted" from the actual records it would seem to suggest two baptisms actually took place but if one or both have been "submitted" by a researcher it is more likely that there could be an error as to the place of the baptism.

Extracted entries are usually more reliable than submitted ones.

Pinetree

P.S.  I see they are both extracted so looks like two baptisms or recorded in both registers for some reason as you suggest.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks PineTrees, Just wondering how to record this in my data base Will try to look at the registers to see if either has a note attached have posted on Shropshire board in case some one on the spot can help. I have found another double baptism but that one is several months between  and I concluded that the family moved and had the child baptised in their old and new parishes!
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 08:59 BST (UK) »
Trees,

Just had another thought - poorly babies that were not expected to live were often baptised at home and an entry made in the register to explain this.  As the family had connections with both parishes perhaps this was the case and the information entered in both registers.

The actual registers may shed further light on this if someone could perhaps do a look-up for you.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PamH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 July 06 02:11 BST (UK) »
Has anyone else come across double entries for baptism?

Hi Trees

One reason for 2 Baptisms or even marriages, is the change in the church laws.  When C. of E. took over from Catholic by order of the monarch of the time, many people had a C. of E. service, then privately a Catholic one.  It thru me at first when I saw this ie which is right?

Hope this helps

Pam
Ainsworth, Meletto/Milito/Maletto-Bolton, <br />Blackmore- Widnes, Radcliffe, Devon.<br />Boyes- Devon, Kent.<br />Bradley- Windle, Sefton<br />Fisher- Blackburn, St Helens<br />Greenhalgh- Bury, Radcliffe, USA<br />Hennefer/Hennifer/Henefer/Henneford- Bolton, Derbyshire, Staffordshire, Worc, Warw,<br />Kenwright- Widnes, Runcorn<br />Knowles- Sefton, Formby<br />Sutton- Homer Green, Sefton, Lunt, St Helens, Formby<br />Thompson- St Helens<br />Thrush- St Helens, Yorks.<br />Ware-Devon, Surrey

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 July 06 08:38 BST (UK) »
My Holmes family had three children in WOrcester before moving to Birmingham
The surviving children were baptised again in Birmingham

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 July 06 09:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone
This is all interesting.
Strangely Stonechat my double baptism months apart also involved Birmingham perhaps the priests were good at catching incomers or lets be charitable and say "welcoming" to newcomers  :).
I have come across home baptisms or private baptisms before and have seen entries following them for "received into church" apersumably when the child recovered health.
Haven't found any R.C. C.of E conflicts that is interesting PamH I have found one whole family being baptised in late teens or early twenties not at the same time  it turned out that they had been initially Baptists and "converted" to Anglicanism one by one later
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline quizmaster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 July 06 09:12 BST (UK) »
Strictly speaking, a double baptism is contrary to canon law. You may encounter a comment in the margin of the register such as 'provisional baptism' which generally indicates some doubt about the original baptism (perhaps the parents couldn't remember which children had been 'done'.