Author Topic: USA Marriage Records  (Read 2640 times)

Offline cant rush

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
USA Marriage Records
« on: Thursday 28 October 04 08:48 BST (UK) »
can any one tell me am I able to access these on line and how.

I dont want to pay a fortune to register on a site if I wont find what I want

can any one help please
Insall, Stott, Jenkins, Parry

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: USA Marriage Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 October 04 13:37 BST (UK) »
There are some marriages on line that have been transcribed.  Marriages in the US are registered with the village, city or town the marriage took place.  I would search online by state and municipality to see if they are online available.  I have not been lucky with that.  Howver, it is quite easy to get one from the government.  You would need to contact the local clerk's office to get a copy.  They range in price from $5-15 for a copy.

If you could tell me the place, i may be able to help you get the contact info as I live in the US.- Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline marilou

• RootsChat Extra
  • August 2005 Bountiful (UT) Temple, me (ctr) w/chil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 February 05 21:58 GMT (UK) »
just a short note while i wonder through your question:

for birth, death and marriage records in the US, first try the LDS family history libray in salt lake city, UT, USA

try www.lds.org and go to Family Search

good luck

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 March 05 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
would you know how I can get a copy of my grandmother's birth certificate.   She was born New York 1872, I have the LDS entry, batch No, source call no., but  printout Call No says NONE.
Can I get a copy from LDS?

Offline Susan41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 March 05 07:40 GMT (UK) »
I have the LDS entry, batch No, source call no., but  printout Call No says NONE.

Hello,

What you want to look at is the SOURCE.

While the city of New York recorded births earlier, most states did not record births until about 1907.

Susan
Russell in London,
Gladwin in Beeston, Bradford, W. Yorkshire,
Rosser in London and Glamorganshire,
Goddard in Bishopstone, N. Wiltshire
Sandiford in London area circa 1770
Smirk(e) in London
Stradling in Glamorganshire
Mansel or Mansell in Glamorganshire
Carne in Glamorganshire

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 March 05 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,
Can I apply to LDS for a copy of the birth records, or should I apply to the relevant New York New York Records office?
Your advice would be appreciated.

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 March 05 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Birth certifiactes were not filed with the New York State Health Dept until 1881. YOu are just before the mandatory registration of births.  In NYC, they stared much earlier.  Do you know where in NY?  Town or village, ect?
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 March 05 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nutkin
IGI Individual Record reads
events: birth: 11 Jan 1872 Birth Certificates, Manhattan, New York, New York.
Parents
Father   Robert Wilson
Mother  Elizabeth Roulston

Source Information:
Batch No.:    Dates:          Source Call No: Type:
C594631      1871-1872    1322046           Film

Printout Call No.:    Type     Sheet:
NONE

I'm trying to determine if I can obtain a copy of the certificate from LDS, if I can't, I'll give New York Records a phone to start with.
Any advice is appreciated.
Pete in Glasgow                       

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 March 05 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Easy as  pie to get a record in Manhattan.  Done it myself many times.  Here is the link for the NYC vital records archives. It gives you all the directions you may need and the forms.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vitalrecords/home.shtml

Just fill in as much as you know on the form.   They are very reasonale for a year search.  I usually do not know as much as you have so it should be a breeze for the archives to find the record. Let me know if you have any questions.
- Kristin