Author Topic: Millership/Millichamp/Millichoppe/Millichap  (Read 25929 times)

Offline jo293

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sneinton Hill
    • View Profile
Millership/Millichamp/Millichoppe/Millichap
« on: Wednesday 12 July 06 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
 Can anyone help me i am trying to trace a Thomas Millership/Millichamp/Millichoppe/Millichap b 1799 Bedworth Warwickshire  to a Job (as above) and Elizabeth Leem  I think he moved to Nottinghamshire and Married a Violet Burton  but i am not sure if anyone as any details Please let me know as he could be a member of my family tree

Thanks  Jo in Nottingham

Alvey,Bilton,Cooke,Crackle,Pailing,Straw, Norman, Millership,Morris, Priest, Nottinghamshire 
Sheeran, Straw,Crich. Derbyshire
Robinson, Revill,  Lincolnshire

Offline Jeano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Millership/Millichamp/Millichoppe/Millichap
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 July 06 07:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,We have MILLICHIP-in Dudley/Tipton area,and JOB figures in the christian names.My husband's gt grandfather Richard-and others of the family,including Job-went to South Africa-to do with mining,and I am sure he has something about Bedworth in his records.Jean :o
Haram-all spellings-Anywhere.Stephens/Stevens -Bethnal Green.Jordan/Jordain-Hull/Brixham .Grundy-Liverpool area/Hull.Wade-Northants/Bucks.Swale-Halifax /Hull.Culpan-Halifax area.Emmerson-Yorkshire/Canada.Leng-Yorkshire.Gibbon-Yorkshire/Canada.stuff::)

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeano,
I would be very interested in some details of your husband's Millichip family from the Tipton/Dudley area, and those that went to South Africa. I have been tracing the Millerchip and related spellings families from Shropshire into Bedworth/Foleshill and then on to most of the coal mining areas of the country. I have them in the Australian goldfields, but not S.A .It might help explain where some of them seem to have dissapeared to.

Cire
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline Jeano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hello,my late grandfather-in-law was William Millichip,b April 1884-he was born in Langley New Town in Buckinghamshire-to Richard Parker Millichip and his wife Kate nee Holloway.Richard was born in 1860 in Dudley and Kate in 1856 in Tipton.Richard eventually went to South Africa,leaving Kate and two children-William and his younger sister also Kate b in Chelsea in 1887.Richard and Kate were married in Netherton Dudley in 1882.Richard apparently married again in S.Africa,Kate likewise in Tipton in 1898.Richard was the son of William and his wife Catherine,nee Parker,they married at Sedgeley in 1850.William was a miner at Dudley,and a Job was a Miner-Iron Stone at Dudley.
If you go to the 1881 census Uk 145 Salop St,you can see the family of William and Catherine-and the 3 year old is obviously a grandchild.Regards,Jeano
Haram-all spellings-Anywhere.Stephens/Stevens -Bethnal Green.Jordan/Jordain-Hull/Brixham .Grundy-Liverpool area/Hull.Wade-Northants/Bucks.Swale-Halifax /Hull.Culpan-Halifax area.Emmerson-Yorkshire/Canada.Leng-Yorkshire.Gibbon-Yorkshire/Canada.stuff::)

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeano
Thanks for the e-mail. I will see if I can fit them into my scheme.
Quickly I can see I had William and Catherine from the 1851 census, before they had children, and a note I had made to suggest that he might have been the son of Job and Mary. Most of the Millership families in the Black Country area came originally from Bedworth, particularly the children of Job Millership and his second wife Elizabeth Lee. Others of the same "clan" in Shropshire became Millichamps and they also moved to the Black Country.
Thanks again
CIRE

Offline Jeano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 August 06 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hello again,if you would like to contact by e-mail-we are-spanielsminilop@aol.com
others went to South Africa too.I think Richard was a carpenter but will check with my husband.regards.Very confusing all the change of name format,but happens with most famiklies doesn't it..Jeano

Offline woody123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 August 06 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have millerships in the Warwickshire, Nottingham and Oldbury areas.  I have a Richard Millership born abt,1793 in Bedworth married Elizabeth (sorry don't know the surname), They had children in Greasly, Nottinghamshire, one of which was Richard who married Eliza Plant in West Bromwich in 1847.

Anyone see anything familiar.
Westmorland - Currah, Richardson, Jackson, Graham, Williamson, Nixon
Scotland - Spence, Crawford, Stewart, Kerr, Munro and many more
Staffs - Wood, Round, Pittaway, Beddall, Brookes, Weston, Talbot, Shakespeare,

Staffs & Worcs - Millership, Roberts, Westbury, Lloyd, Bridgewater, Oliver

Offline Jeano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 August 06 06:34 BST (UK) »
Hi woody,Bedworth seems to figure for three of us doesn't it,they were miners,Gordon's gt grandfather Richard was a carpenter-but still seems to have been involved with mining in some way-hence him joining Job and all in S.Africa.If you want you can e-mail us-think you can see the address on cire 's one.We paid someone in S.A.to research for us.regards,Jean

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeano and Woody, or as our daughter is over from OZ I should say g'day.
I've been looking at my notes and the only Job I have, born to a Bedworth family around 1800, is Job, the son of Richard Millerchip and Frances nee Williams. They were married in Bedworth 15/12/1793, and had 2 children Elizabeth and Richard both baptised 2/2/1800 in Bedworth. The next child was Job who was baptised in Deritend and Bordesley (Birmingham) 10/4/1803. He had been born 10/10/1802. I suppose he could have been born in Bedworth and the family  moved to Birmingham before he was baptised.
Richard and Frances seem to have moved about the Birmingham/Black Country area and I have several baptisms of children of Richard and Frances under several versions of the surname spelling.

I haven't worked out who Richard's parents were. There were several Millerchip families in Bedworth in the late 1700s and all had children with similar names, but he was not one of the sons of Job Millerchip and either of the two Elizabeths (Haywod or Lee).
Does the Frances christian name crop up in your family? That would be a good pointer!
Be in touch soon
Cire (its a backward Eric)