Author Topic: Romany history  (Read 8788 times)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Romany history
« on: Thursday 28 October 04 11:41 BST (UK) »
I'm tracing a friend's family history, and her great-grandmother appears to have been a Romany.  I haven't got her full name yet, but she came from Cheshire.  Has anyone got into Romany history?  Any recommendations for how to pursue this?
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
Re: Romany history
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 October 04 13:36 BST (UK) »

Hi suttontrust, ;D

have you had a look at this site? It had a fair bit of information on Travellers etc.

http://sca.lib.liv.ac.uk/collections/gypsy/links.htm
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 October 04 16:43 BST (UK) »
Ive a copy of a book called a shepherds life and in it is these few paragraphs from the author who spent time in the villages of the wiltshire downs....The dark people of the village had a passion for eating hedgehogs.How healthy these people are is hardly  known even to those who make a  special study of these aliens,who,albeit aliens,are yet more native than any englishman in the land. They were so good at their common tricks that in the azzises courts at salisbury in around the 1840s rarely a gypsy came to the court. In a talk the author had with a gypsy,the gypsy had stated"you know what the books say, and we dont. But we know other things that are not in books,and that is what we have. Its ours,our own,and you cant know it".There three different types of dark people in the village area, and many dark people could not be identified as belonging to any one race.First the gypsy,rather short in stature,brown skinned with broad face and high cheekbones.Secondly the men and women of white skins and good features,who had round heads and were physically and mentally just as good as the best blue eyed people.The third type differed greatly from the first two.They were smallest in size and had narrow heads and long oval faces,and were very dark skinned,also having a hotter temper. The characters which distingush the ancient british or iberian race appear to predominate in persons of this type,but also as there was a great deal of mixed blood within these peoples, it was hard to distinguish at all times which people came from which race.....cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 October 04 19:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  I've resolved to read George Borrow again - "Romany Rye" and all that.
Ellington in Harwich.

Offline jax

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 November 04 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suttontrust

I too have just discovered that an ancestor was 'a Romany Gypsy' and am not sure where really to begin with this as I dont have her maiden name or first name, just her married name.

I have joined the Romany & Traveller Family History Society and received my first correspondence from them yesterday and have to say that my first impressions weren't that great.. ???  the society has too few members to hold monthly meetings, but do hold one annual one around May time..  they produce journals 3 times a year (I thought perhaps I would have received one upon joining, but no such luck yet)

Sorry i sound a bit moany, but I guess I was a bit disappointed  :(

Time will tell as to whether it's worth being a member or not - and I'll keep you posted
Jones, Venner, Kenealy, Morphett, Tree, Maxted, Page, all from or around Lydd, Ivychurch, Romney Marsh.<br />Also<br />Twyman, Daisy Kent/Thanet Area.<br />Also<br />Fidler, Berkshire.  Butcher, Faversham.<br />Also<br />Everson Suffolk/Norfolk<br />Knights, Vann (Wenn) Norfolk
Hilden - Kent and surrounding areas (romany gypsy connections)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 November 04 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I considered joining that society myself.  But unless one gets access to records it can't be worth it.  I'm looking for a Jane Williams, an extremely common name.  I know where she claimed to have been born, and when, and I know who she "married" but can't find any trace of the marriage.  They also disappear from the 81 census, only to reappear settled in the 91.  If you discover that there's a way of asking questions and searching records I'd be glad to chip in for the cost of your membership.
Ann
Ellington in Harwich.

Offline jax

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 November 04 21:45 GMT (UK) »
suttontrust

i wouldnt dream of asking you to chip in with membership, but thank you for the kind offer  ;) I

f i find any info I am more than happy to share it with anybody who asks... i have had lots of help from this site and want to do my bit too..

So if I get any info I'll let you know  :)
Jones, Venner, Kenealy, Morphett, Tree, Maxted, Page, all from or around Lydd, Ivychurch, Romney Marsh.<br />Also<br />Twyman, Daisy Kent/Thanet Area.<br />Also<br />Fidler, Berkshire.  Butcher, Faversham.<br />Also<br />Everson Suffolk/Norfolk<br />Knights, Vann (Wenn) Norfolk
Hilden - Kent and surrounding areas (romany gypsy connections)

Offline eileenb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 November 04 15:37 GMT (UK) »

Have you tried?

http://www.thegalloper.com

This is an interesting and varied site and you might get lucky!

Eileen
Hampshire -  Lewis & Mitchell & Hutchins
Lancs - Tattersall & Dillon
Wilts - Vockins, Chapman, Alexander
Fairground Travellers - Dillon Family

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 November 04 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, it's a fascinating site.  Can't find my quarries, though.
Ellington in Harwich.