Author Topic: Ridings and Wapentakes  (Read 3700 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Ridings and Wapentakes
« on: Thursday 28 October 04 13:48 BST (UK) »
I realise the english spoken in Australia is not always understandable, but  I thought I could understand most English used in England until I started researching family in Yorkshire. Could someone please tell me

What is a Riding and why is there no South Riding?

What is a Wapentake (and where did this word originate?) - which I read became obsolete in 1900 - so do I even need to know about same?

Where does The Ainsty and York fit into the picture - is York not part of a riding? What is the Ainsty?

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ridings and Wapentakes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 October 04 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi trish,

Have a look at these two sites.  The first one looks as if it will answer your question.

http://members.aol.com/wryorks/wapen.htm
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 October 04 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell

Many thanks - the first one was what I was looking for. Genuki had all the terms, but I couldn't find many explanations - seems I may have to buy the book.

Trish

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 October 04 14:52 BST (UK) »
Wapentake, from Norse and found only in those areas which were substantially under Viking rule - the northern counties of England. In the south these are mostly known as Hundreds - administrative sub-districts. Wapentake is "the touching of weapons". When a new chief was elected the men of the tribe touched their spears to his showing that their spears were at his service.
Ridings is from Thridings [thirdings or thirds]. that is why there are 3 and not 4.
The Liberty of Ainsty and York was a major administrative unit that fell outside the Ridings and was administered by the aldermen and clergy of York.
We like to keep these quaint things on the go - it is part of being British.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 October 04 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Hack

Many thanks - being of English, Scottish and Irish descent (have not found anyone from Wales yet), I'm learning about these quaint customs - I just keep finding new ones all the time, which is why my child will probably have to complete the family history.

Trish