Author Topic: Doocastle  (Read 27927 times)

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Doocastle
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Carol,
John Mannon's baptismal record might be on LDS Film 1279233 Items 10-11.  I'll see if I have it at my local FHC.  If I do I'll check it for you. There is a Bartley Mannion family in the 1901 Irish census, but the mother's name is Bridget.  They also appear in the 1911 census.  Are you sure of her first name? 

D-G

Offline WickAFD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi D-G,
So excited to see a reply!  You are correct, it is Bridget, that is the correct family.  Family history is that all of Bartly's children went to NYC, with the exception of daughter Bridget, who reportedly became a nun. (having trouble finding that).  He had 2 other sons, Bartly and  Thomas (my GF) who missed the 1901 census, as they came to NYC, late 1890's.  In fact, the grandchildren, listed as birthplace NYC, were his kids from a first marriage, wife deceased, childbirth.  They show up again on the 1920 US census, as living with him and his second wife in NYC.  Upon my dad's death in 1971, my aunt, listed as Mary Anne, provided a complete schematic of each of Bartly's kids, who they married and their kids...but I never knew of any grandparents until now, thanks to 1901, 1911.  I still have all of the info.  Hope this is a help to you.
Carol

Offline EdT

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 March 14 05:20 GMT (UK) »
I have to jump into this conversation. I just read the 2014 All Ireland Fleadh is in Sligo which made me think about the visit I made there ten years ago. Met my relatives Mick and Ann Kearns, cousin to my grandfather Pat Mannion, from Sligo. We visited the stone monument, the musicians of Doocastle and saw John Mannion who I assumed was a relative. Kathleen I would be interested if any of your history sheds more light on the family and if there is a connection.

Offline thorpcr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 April 14 20:29 BST (UK) »
Re Doocastle - my boyfriend's mother's family were Hauze. We have been twice to look and met a chap called Martin Kelleher. Any relation? It is really difficult to find out any information but you have found something out? Would be grateful to learn of anything about the area. It is certainly all very spread out - not like England! Martin Kelleher takes the grass from our family fields - but we have no way of proving ownership!

Clare Thorp

Offline STJEAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 11 April 15 14:12 BST (UK) »
Kathleen

Mary Davey was my gg grandmother as well. She married Tom Costello

Denis Costello Brisbane

Offline Kirsty Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 April 15 05:49 BST (UK) »
Mary Davey, wife of Thomas Costello was also my GG Grandma, and Martin Costello my G Grandfather. I would love to be in contact with those of you who share her in your family also please!

Kirsty Jones (Brisbane, QLD)
Costello: Mayo, Ireland
Davey: Mayo, Ireland
McGregor: Falkirk/Fife, Scotland
Murray: Fife Scotland
Deardon: Lancashire, England

Rogers/Batten/Maddern/Tonkin/Kitchen/Pollard/Glasson/Rowe: Cornwall, England

Offline Kirsty Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 April 15 06:03 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me anything about Doocastle. I believe my ggg grandfather was superintendent in the 1820s. His name was William Francis Davey and he was married to Mary McNulty. They were from Sligo. My gg grandmother, Mary Davey, was born in County Mayo while William was the superintedent. I have read a little about it and Joseph Mor McDonnell (not flattering about him, for sure) and I would love to get more information. Thanks.

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen, I am wondering how you found out the parents of Mary Davey? I believe we share her as a gg grandmother, but I have struggled to find evidence of her parents and birth.
Kirsty

Offline STJEAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 April 15 07:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirsty
Actually I was wrong, Mary Davey was my great grandmother, your father Martin was my grandfather's John's  brother. All this generation seemed to have come to Queensland except one who remained in Ireland. I don't know much about Martin except he died in 1916 and my father, Hugh, thought he died in Africa. We could be way off the mark with this. I believe he had 2 daughters Addine and Irene. Is there ant accuracy in this?

Denis Costello Brisbane

Offline Kirsty Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 April 15 07:51 BST (UK) »
Wow.
 Martin died in Brisbane, of Tuberculosis in 1916. He met and married Clara Deardon in South Africa in 1907/8 and moved to Australia in 1908.
 His Daughter Adeline is my grandmother who married John Mcgregor and lived in Enoggera.
Adeline died in 1982.
Irene I have not yet found her children, but I know she and her family lived in High street in Bundaberg.