Author Topic: Doocastle  (Read 27921 times)

Offline jjkal

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Doocastle
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 16:08 GMT (UK) »
My family (emigrants to Canada in the 19th century) were Kallaghers from Moylough, just down the road from Doocastle.  I think there was a family link to the Kellehers in Doocastle in the distant past, but not for 250 years.   I would be very interested to learn about the history of Doocastle and the Kelleher family there.

Offline ash2011

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 May 11 20:48 BST (UK) »
if it helps anyone i live just beside doocastle in bunninadden. and regarding the transcript on doocastle, i do believe my grandmother was the person to type it out from the orginal recording :) and i think the people chosen on the monument were just well knowen musicans from the area. i think kallaghers still live in the area of doocastle /moylough. not sure if that would be any help. there are also o'donnels in the area

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 May 11 01:00 BST (UK) »
Based on the valuation revision lists, it appears that my grandmother was born in 1870 on the site in Doocastle that was later used for the Doocastle National School, probably the same building that is in the 1930 photo.  Since Doocastle straddles the line between Mayo and Sligo, can someone tell me whether this location is on the Mayo or Sligo side of the border?  Also, can you tell me what is on the site now?  I plan to be in the area in June and would like to visit it. Thank you. 

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 May 11 03:46 BST (UK) »
Also, if someone has good knowledge of Doocastle, I would like to know which cemetery or cemeteries would have been used by people there in the period of 1865-1875.  My great-grandparents died in Doocastle in that time period.  Thanks again. 

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 June 11 20:51 BST (UK) »
Just back from the trip.  I was very fortunate to be able to meet second cousins who helped me locate the land my great-grandparents leased in Doocastle.  Although there is no proof such as a stone, it is most logical that they were buried in the old section of Kilturra cemetery. 

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 July 11 02:29 BST (UK) »
The names on the Doocastle monument are all deceased musicians of the area.  From what I understand, one of the living musicians wanted his name included until he heard that requirement.   

Offline Doocastle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 August 11 18:09 BST (UK) »
Would love to get a copy of the History of Doocastle if you could help me.

Offline declan b

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 January 13 23:17 GMT (UK) »
HI, I have just stumbled on this site whilst showing my son my Mothers family home. My grandparents name was Martin & Nora McGuire. I too would like to get a copy of the history of Doocastle. I was talking to the late Frank Rogers a few years back and I believe he was working on this book (maybe an updated version) but he mentioned Martin Francis Kelleher. My mother (Maureen) always told me tales about Martin the blind singer, song writer and story teller. However I have my mothers song book which she wrote down the lyrics to many of Martins song's. If anybody out there is continuing to work on the book please get in touch and I will pass on a copy of the songs

Offline WickAFD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Rich, (from 2009)
My GGF and GGM Bartly Mannion and Mary (Gallagher) had a son John, b.@1891; came to NYC, married Maryanne G, had 2 daughters, Dorothy, 11 and Alice, 7 as of 1930 US NYC census.  Not sure when John died, might be the same person.  Would his name be on the music statue if he left Ireland? Same John, as no age was mentioned. Going to see if I can find a list for Kilturra cem. My GGF was from Cloonakiliny, Kilturra, Swinford on the census in Eire.  My other GGP's were Foody, from Castleconor East. My GP's Thomas Mannion and Mary E Foody met and married in  1912 in NYC.  They died in 1935 when my dad was very young and he wound up in an orphanage with his brothers.  I'm amazed with what I've found so far! Is there a parish to write to, connected to Kilturra? (Bunninadden,maybe?)

Carol