Author Topic: Doocastle  (Read 27920 times)

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Doocastle
« on: Friday 14 July 06 19:35 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me anything about Doocastle. I believe my ggg grandfather was superintendent in the 1820s. His name was William Francis Davey and he was married to Mary McNulty. They were from Sligo. My gg grandmother, Mary Davey, was born in County Mayo while William was the superintedent. I have read a little about it and Joseph Mor McDonnell (not flattering about him, for sure) and I would love to get more information. Thanks.

Kathleen
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline Padhraicin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Doocastle
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 September 06 14:15 BST (UK) »
Doocastle is on the Sligo/Mayo border.    If you are looking for information a good  place to look would be baptism and marriage records of the parish of Curry, Co. Sligo.   Also check out the 1901 census.

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 September 06 21:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this. I am still trying to learn all of the geography of the place and this is extremely helpful. We knew another gg grandfather was born in Curry, but didn't realize it was so close to Doocastle, which could lead to a connection between the two families in Ireland. We always assumed they met in the States.

Kath
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 August 08 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Kathleen,

Here's a link to photographs of the Doocastle area ... they include a photo of the Memorial for the Musicians of Doocastle and another of the National School in the 1930s. www.castlebar.ie/photos/the-west/doocastle/glry

Christopher

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 August 08 16:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Christopher. It is great to see pix of where my ancestors might have walked. Someday maybe I will get there.

Kath

Offline frankeen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 February 09 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone. Thanks to the person who posted a link to the Monument Stone dedicated to the musicians of Doocastle. I'm honoured to see that two of my uncles are inscribed on the dedication: Martin and Denny McCoy.

Offline RichTO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 13:21 GMT (UK) »
KathMC:

My mother's family (Mannion) is from the same area, and she has cousins named Davey.  The farthest back I can tell you is Owen Davey of Hartford, CT, who was on the Fire Department.  He had a daughter named Mary who is still alive.  Any connection?  Thanks.

Rich

Offline RichTO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Frankeen:

I also have my grandfather, John Mannion, named on the monument, as well as a few other names of possible relatives.  Do you have any idea of how the names were chosen?  He was killed about 1936 in New York City in an auto accident when my mother was still quite young.  Growing up, we knew that he played the fiddle, but I was quite shocked when my mother showed us the picture with his name on it.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Rich

Offline paddykel

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 December 10 12:51 GMT (UK) »
KathMc

I have a fair bit of information on Doocastle my wife and I visit there every 3 years or so.
It is where my father's and grandfather's origins lie.
my family name is Keleher(family speak says the spelling with a single L is a relation if only it was that easy.)
My good friend Shay McGowan's mother or grandmother was a Kelleher as are a few in Doocastle or Ballindoo as it was originally know
I have a transcript (word format) of the "History of Doocastle" as narated by Martin Francis Kelleher in 1959 a relative of Shay's mother
I also have maps and field numbers of farms within doocastle from the land registry.
I also befriended the local postman (now retired) James O Hara who is a wealth of knowledge though not in the best of health,  I have not heard from him for a couple of years.
I'm unsure how forum handles data going to members privately

this is my first post on here