Author Topic: Birth/baptism names  (Read 5952 times)

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Birth/baptism names
« on: Thursday 28 October 04 16:40 BST (UK) »
Has anyone found many instances of people being baptised a name to the one given on the birth certificate.

Here's a family story -

One baby was taken to the church and when the vicar asked for her name he was told 'Hazel'.....which was already on her birth certificate.

'Oh No!' said the vicar 'There are all the Saints in the Heavens and you wish to call your child after a NUT!'

"I will baptise this child Elizabeth after our own dear Queen'.......and did!
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/baptism names
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 October 04 19:57 BST (UK) »
I have one Kathy, and she has caused me endless problems!  Registered Hannah Maria, baptised Ann Marie, died as Annie Maria, and used loads of variations in between times as well as inventing a couple of non-existent husbands along the way!

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 October 04 20:38 BST (UK) »
I think there are problems like that in most families...I have and Ann Elizabeth Robinson.... or Ann E Robinson.....who we believe never married...but was always called Annie...

It's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

A member of the family has a postcard photograph of her in Scarborough...he thinks she went to live there.....I think she was probably on a trip to the coast!

Also, my Gran said she had relatives in Ashby de la Zouche ....I have never found a connection and think Ann(ie) could fit in this gap!.....but do you know how many Ann Robinsons there are !....this is certainly my weakest link!
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 October 04 23:38 BST (UK) »
'Oh No!' said the vicar 'There are all the Saints in the Heavens and you wish to call your child after a NUT!'

"I will baptise this child Elizabeth after our own dear Queen'.......and did!

That tickled me  :)  but i bet it caused a bit of an uproar! 
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 October 04 04:45 BST (UK) »
I had an ancestor who had the name Laurna, or Lurna, or  Lurana or any variation of that name.  Never found it same twice.  Thank goodness we know everything about her and don't have to spend time looking her info.!
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 October 04 22:14 BST (UK) »
I've found several baptisms where the child had two names, which as he grew older were then reversed.  One was James Henry, the other Benjamin George (brothers) and both then changed them round to Henry James and George Benjamin.

Thought I had found four people, but there were only two!  I spent ages trying to find them.

Honeybun.
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 October 04 22:19 BST (UK) »
My father-in-law went through all his 90+ year life as Leslie Alfred, including when he married.   When he died we found a 'penny a week' insurance policy that his mother had taken out when he was a baby - in the name of Alfred Leslie.   A few months ago I sent for his birth certificate and, sure enough, he was Alfred Leslie!

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 October 04 23:32 BST (UK) »
I read today about children being baptised twice. It is probable that the first baptism was in a non-conformist  church and the second one in the C of E as non-conformist marriages, baptisms etc had no legal basis at one time.
The other reason was marriages between CofE and Roman Catholic. They would take the child to a different area to be baptised for the second time in the other church.
That should make everything as clear as mud ???
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Minn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 October 04 23:34 BST (UK) »
I have an ancester with the christian name of Lisleborn & couldn't find anything on him till I discovered he was christened Loveban! Wonder why he changed it  ???

Minn
BROGRAVE - Norfolk
RYE - Hopton
LONG - Wiltshire/Somerset 
BROUGHTON/ GOODDY- Bawtry/Loversall CRESSWELL - Plymouth 
FOWLES - London 
DANIEL - Gloucester 
BARKER/STREET - Yorkshire
HAWKER - Kings Stanley
WARD - Cheltenham