Author Topic: JONES Richard William, Much Wenlock  (Read 17957 times)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Jones, Richard William, Much Wenlock
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 July 06 11:17 BST (UK) »

I have checked the 1871 for Mary Ann, and can't find her as Wrigley but this is a possiblity:

RG10/2761 folio 50 page 13 - Farm House, Cressage

Mary Ann Jones Servant 28 Unmarr General Servant born Shropshire Broseley

She is working for a Farmer John Edwards Widow 60, and his family.

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 22 July 06 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

The marriage may have been possible, but not sure.  If she was a nurse, she may well have done a lot of travelling....

I think I will send for  the Edward Fox Jones birth certificate and see where that leads me.  I found g.g.grandfather John on the 81 census, in Yorkshire, with a group on 'drainer' work and may well have found a brother of his as well!  This is awesome.

Jones was my maiden name, so a 'special' interest!

Abby

Jones - Shropshire & Wales; Green - Warwickshire; Evans & Smith - Bedminster; Joll - Calstock, Cornwall; Harrison; Treliving - Cornwall; Matthews, Bell, Marks - UK; Watt - Edinburgh; Mossman - Canada; Lange & Balck/Balch/Balk - Germany.
All to New Zealand

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 11:43 BST (UK) »
I have ordered Edward Fox's birth certificate and I wait! 

I placed a post on the Warwickshire section looking for the family of Elizabeth Green, (Richard William Jones married her in NZ in 1874), but have had no reply to a request for info on 1871 census.  The person helping there said she was in Shropshire in 1971, but I was hoping that it might help to find Richard.  I was unsure if I had over-stepped the mark - please let me know if this is the case. 

I have found some information in old NZ newspapers to indicate Richard probably sailed out of London 10th Oct 1872 on the 'Zealandia' - still working on this - needs confirmation.

Thanks again,
Abby
Jones - Shropshire & Wales; Green - Warwickshire; Evans & Smith - Bedminster; Joll - Calstock, Cornwall; Harrison; Treliving - Cornwall; Matthews, Bell, Marks - UK; Watt - Edinburgh; Mossman - Canada; Lange & Balck/Balch/Balk - Germany.
All to New Zealand

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Abby  :D
Make sure you let us know what Edward Fox Jones's birth cert says!!  (I have had no reason to order certificates of my own for a while, so I get my thrills from others now  ;D )
What are the details of Elizabeth Green's family - I'll see if I can find them.
Cheers
Prue

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Prue,

I didn't know any details of Elizabeth Green's family, but her death certificate says she was born Wormleighton, Warwickshire and she was 71 when she died in 1915 in Hastings, New Zealand.  I had been told that Richard had met Elizabeth before he left England and if she was in fact in Shropshire in 1871, he may have been nearby?  It might even shed some light on his mysterious earlier marriage?? 

Elizabeth came to NZ by herself in 1873 to marry Richard - brave girl!!

I certainly will let you know details of the birth cert as soon as it arrives

Thanks Prue,
Abby
All to New Zealand

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 31 July 06 11:17 BST (UK) »
Have received Edward Fox's birth certificate and I'm in shock!  Father - Richard Jones, gardener!  So, Richard left them (I'm assuming baby Ann is their's also) with his parents and came to NZ??  Seems really strange - there must be an explanation.

Mother - Mary Woodall, from Popes Lane, Tal (?) Bank, Oldbury.  I found what is probably their marriage record at BDM, so will order that soon to check, but when it comes to finding the right death details for Mary Jones - well, there seem to be a vast number of them within the likely dates!!!  Probably just prior to 1871 census as the children were with their grandparents then and the baby was only 3 months old.

It now seems most likely that Richard left London 10 Oct 1872, as this ties in with all the information family have given me. 

Thanks so much for your interest and help,
Abby
All to New Zealand

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 31 July 06 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Abby,

Wow, that's great!  :)  Not that he left the wife and kids, but that you have confirmed that bit of the story.
If we can be of more help, just holler  :D
Prue

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 31 July 06 22:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Prue,

His NZ marriage certificate showed him as widower, so Mary must have died prior to 1871 census, but with so many Mary Jones deaths I am not at all sure how to find the right one - any suggestions for how to whittle them down would be appreciated.  (May have died in childbirth with Ann?? but only guessing of course)

I feel as though I need to make excuses for him leaving ONLY the children!! 

But it doesn't really add up with what I know of his life in NZ - I guess he made a 'new' life!  It is such an interesting jigsaw.

Thanks again,
Marion
All to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 20:49 BST (UK) »

Hi

I've missed the rest of the replies to this thread, but they have made very interesting reading.  As Prue said, it's great that you have been able to confirm the story about Richard.

Let us know what the marriage certificate shows.

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand