Author Topic: JONES Richard William, Much Wenlock  (Read 17953 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Jones, Richard William, Much Wenlock
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 July 06 08:49 BST (UK) »
Rest of family, 1871:

RG10/2740/43/17
Marlbrook Toll Gate, Aston Eyre, Shropshire

JONES
John   Head   Mar   46   Drainer   Montgomeryshire, Buttington
Margaret   Wife   Mar   46         Montgomeryshire, Llanfair
John      Son      11   Scholar   Salop, Harley
James   Son      9   Scholar   Salop, Harley
George   Son      7   Scholar   Salop, Harley
Edward Fox   Grandson      1      Worcestershire, Oldbury
Ann       Granddaughter   3 months   Salop, Ailey (?)

The reference for Richard's 1871 entry is:
RG10/2775/43/20

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 July 06 09:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you Prue - I was trying not to sound too 'new'!!!

With all the info you have provided, I have some thinking to do.  This is definitely his family.    How could I find out who the parents are of the two grandchildren?  Would this be on the IGI?

I had imagined Richard would be involved in some sort of engineering as he moved into it as soon as he got to NZ...

Thanks a million,
Abby
Jones - Shropshire & Wales; Green - Warwickshire; Evans & Smith - Bedminster; Joll - Calstock, Cornwall; Harrison; Treliving - Cornwall; Matthews, Bell, Marks - UK; Watt - Edinburgh; Mossman - Canada; Lange & Balck/Balch/Balk - Germany.
All to New Zealand

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 July 06 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Abby,
Don't worry about sounding new, we all have to start somewhere!  And even when you've been doing it for a while, you can still sound like a dill sometimes  ;D ;D ;D

You can check the IGI for the two grandchildren, or, as you know pretty much when they were born, you could check the birth indexes.  Do you know freebmd and Ancestry.co.uk?

I just had a quick check on Freebmd and found Edward Fox Jones, registered March quarter 1870, district West Bromwich, Vol 6b page 732.  Hooray!  You might have a harder time finding Ann as I am not sure of the birthplace on the census - but you can check the 1881 census yourself for free, and see if she is on that.

If you order Edward's birth cert, you will get his parents' names.

Prue

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 July 06 12:40 BST (UK) »

Goodness me Prue, you have been a busy bee!!!!!! ;D

I had found the Richard in Armoury Terrace as a possibility,but did you see the Richard Jones born Wenlock, living in Lancashire?  RG10/4245 folio 88 page 57.  Probably not right, but thought it worthing mentioning anyway :)

I also had another look at that place name 'Ailey'.  There isn't one in Shropshire but there is in Herefordshire/Worcestershire. The Salop bit must have been enumerator's error :D.

Here's a map: http://www.rootschat.com/links/0nf/

Jan

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 July 06 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

I had another look at the mysterious "Ailey" - that's definitely what it says - but I then went to 1881 and looked for the grandchildren, and they are still with their grandparents (although grandad is not home).  Ann is down as born in Harley!  Why the 1871 enumerator wrote Harley for others and not for her, I don't know.

I did see the Richard in Lancashire, but as he was married with two children I thought it was probably not him.  Right age, though.

Prue

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 July 06 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue and Jan,

Richard was definitely in NZ by 1873, probably 1872 and even possibly 1871 - still not sure but will keep digging from this end in NZ.  On marriage certificate he lists as 27, widower, engineer.   Family have passed down that he did his engineering training in England, so if this was the case - where would he have done that?  Would he have needed to go to a larger town?

I have been studying my map of Shropshire and following the family's progress. My g.g. grandparents John and Margaret are becoming 'real' now.

You have been so generous with your interest and information - so many thanks,
Abby
Jones - Shropshire & Wales; Green - Warwickshire; Evans & Smith - Bedminster; Joll - Calstock, Cornwall; Harrison; Treliving - Cornwall; Matthews, Bell, Marks - UK; Watt - Edinburgh; Mossman - Canada; Lange & Balck/Balch/Balk - Germany.
All to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 19:24 BST (UK) »

Hi Abby

Here's Richard's parents (and two other family members :)) in 1891:

RG12/2093 folio 31 page 6 - Alderham Pools, Morville, Bridgnorth, Shropshire

John Jones Head Marr 66 Master Drainer born Montgomeryshire Buttington
Margaret Jones Wife Marr 65 born Montgomeryshire Llanfair
Robert Jones Brother Single 55 Estate Labourer born Montgomeryshire Llanfair
Mary Ann Wrigley Dau Widow 42 Monthly Nurse born Salop Broseley

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 July 06 02:04 BST (UK) »
The brother Robert was probably a brother of Margaret's as they share birthplace and Margaret was a Jones before she married as well as after!  Just to confuse us!

Interesting information on Mary Ann - married name, career (monthly nurse?).

I'm wondering if Richard could have been with Jane and her husband Mr Wrigley in 1871?

The trouble is - the more I find out the more I want to know!  Is this a common affliction?

The flu 'fog' is lifting slowly,
Abby
All to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 July 06 11:11 BST (UK) »
The trouble is - the more I find out the more I want to know!  Is this a common affliction?

Extremely common, and one of the symptoms experienced by all Rootschat members ;D

I thought I would have another look for Mary Ann Wrigley and this is what I found:

RG11/3918 folio 117 page 36
27 Lister Street (Woodstock Inn), Chorlton on Medlock, Lancashire

Ben Wrigley Head Marr 35 Bees House Keeper born Lancashire Salford
Mary A Wrigley Wife Marr 32 born Shropshire Broseley

???  ???

Free BMD has a marriage for a Ben Wrigley & Mary Ann Jones March Quarter 1881, Vol 8C, Page 661, District: Chorlton, but would Mary have married outside of her birth county???   Mmmm...not sure about that!

Jan