Author Topic: What is the biggest mystery in your tree?  (Read 49731 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What is the biggest mystery in your tree?
« Reply #117 on: Friday 12 September 08 00:09 BST (UK) »
Johnnyboy- wonder if Robert HENDRY could have been mistranscribed or misheard and is listed under HENRY.
Also, in Ulster Agnes/Nancy/Ann are all interchangable.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Friday 12 September 08 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is the old thread that has just been revived - sancti has found a poss in Shetland  on the 1861:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,258313.0.html

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Friday 12 September 08 11:01 BST (UK) »
Aulus- could 'Aunt Lou' be a more distant connection like an uncle's widow who married 2nd a Mr. Hay?

Yes, it must be a more distant connection, though more distant than an uncle's widow who remarried as the only uncle was killed in WW2 and did not marry.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MalGordon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Malcolm Myers 1945
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Sunday 01 March 09 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Why do G G Grandparents hide away? I have been able to trace back to them on both sides, but after that the male side cannot be found. I have established quite a lot but they remain a complete mystery.

Could it be that those stories of babies being found at the bottom of the garden are true??

Myers - St. Cuthberts Edinburgh/Geelong Australia
Greaves Sussex/Durham
McGregor Hewith/Hebburn/Lossiemouth
Dobson Hewith/South Shields
Law - St. Cuthberts, Edinburgh
Malcolm - Lanark - Greenoch - Renfrewshire

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Sunday 01 March 09 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Why indeed, Mal??

Though with my gggrandparents, it is disappearance later in life, and failure to find a death, that is frustrating me, rather than their births!  :( :'(

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Sunday 01 March 09 11:37 GMT (UK) »
I don't know about anyone else, but I have found that looking for anyone around the 1866 mark is a long hard task...a few years before and after, no worries...1866....it's a black hole down which the ancestors fall and it's a helluva job to hoik them out!
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Sunday 01 March 09 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about this, but I have a vague recollection that in 1866 there was an outbreak of either cholera or influenza, in the UK.  Might the records have become scrambled, simply due to the volume that had to be processed?  ???
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Sunday 01 March 09 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Now that could explain a lot, Deb...scrambled is certainly the word in my experiance. We have found them all, they were there, but it took a lot of doing.
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline Gaille

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Monday 02 March 09 00:51 GMT (UK) »
I have three that are driving me insane lol.

One:
My Maternal nanas father................
He seems to have been born a fully grown adult in 1902.......... cos before that he isnt anywhere!
(and 1902 is just that 1 year late for yet ANOTHER cencus.......... he says he was born in 1875....... but he doesnt have a birth cert - and he isnt on any Cencus (under the name he gave anyway!) until the 1911 one ..............and then he is only a 'boarder' in a boarding house!

On his Marriage cert to my gt-grandma he claims to be a widower - but I cant find any previous marriages with his name any where in the country.

I am starting to think he had a different first name on his birth certs and cencus's and dropped it somewhere along the line .............. I would LOVE to know who he realy is tho!

LOL if anyone has 'lost' a Henry Childs supposedly born in Walsingham Norfolk in 1875 ........... well I found him in my family tree in 1902!

The second & third mysteries are kind of similar to each other!

Two:
My Dads mum always told me she had a brother Charlie who "Died Young".
I found Charlie Smith on the 1901 cencus with his parents - born 1899.
I have him now on the 1911 cencus - living with his parents and younger siblings

My dad was born in 1938 and his cousin in 1939.................... by which time Charlie had dissapeared, and no one ever seems to have talked about him (apart from Nana telling me about him)

Three:
Dads family again!

on the 1891 Cencus I back tracked my gt-grandads family and 'discovered' not one but two elder brothers we knew nothing about.
I found a death for one of them, David but the other John William was very much alive in the 1901 Cencus, and was not only alive but had my gt-grandad, his widowed step mother, her two daughters (his half sisters) and his step mothers sister living with him - and running his own business.

In the 1911 Cencus John is still in the same shop, now living with his Step mother, one of his Half-sisters (the other died) and another of his step mothers sisters - my gt-granddad had married & had my grandad and his younger brother by this time.

Again, no one in the family ever mentioned John, my grandad would have known him and never mentioned him, and I knew his half sister Elsie, she talked of her family - but never mentioned John to anyone, and she would have been old enough to remember him...........

After 1911 I have ne family history of either of dads uncles  ............................ I suspect they may have perished in WW1 ................. but with names like John Evans and Charles/Charlie Smith I am realy struggling!

Gaille
Manchester – Bate(s) / Bebbington / Coppock or Coppart / Evans / Mitchell / Prince / Smith

Cheshire Latchford – Bibby / Savage / Smith.
Cheshire Macclesfield,  Bollington & Rainow – Childs / Flint / Mc'rea
Cheshire Crewe – Bate(s) / Bebbington
Shropshire Wellington, Wobwell – Smith
Walsall Midds – Smith
Norfolk - Childs / Hanwell / Smith

Also looking for:
Mc'Rea/McCrea – Ireland to Cheshire

And
any relatives of Margaret Bibby married to Thomas Smith all over country