Author Topic: What is the biggest mystery in your tree?  (Read 49759 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What is the biggest mystery in your tree?
« Reply #153 on: Sunday 10 September 17 15:57 BST (UK) »
My Gt uncle was born in 1877, he married in 1902 and his wife died within a few weeks of giving birth to a son 1907, they already had 2 daughters

first daughter  born 1903 died 1912

second daughter  born 1904 died 1907

The only son (1907) seems to have disappeared from the earth from 1911 only to appear in North Allerton, Yorks in the 1940's a single man but his death cert 1971 shows he had a child, haven't a clue about her as she wasn't registered in his name

Father  born 1877 wasn't heard of anymore after second child died in 1907, I have no idea where he went to as I have never found him, the surname is very uncommon and I have traced everyone with that surname, wishing my life away but I am wondering if he will turn up on 1921 census, he wasn't listed on 1939

I live in hope that I may find where the father went to and where  his son was  between 1911 and 1940's

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Friday 15 September 17 10:36 BST (UK) »
Mine's a very common one.  My direct ancestor, William Fair(e)y, was baptised in Gt Catworth, Hunts., in 1776.  His mother's name was Sarah and he was illegitimate.  I have not been able to trace his father - no records in the BVRI, no Bastardy Bonds, Overseers or Parish records requesting the father to support the child financially.  No idea where Sarah came from or how old she was and so on.  It's just a big brick wall that I fear I shall never knock down.  There are several of us descendants chasing William's parents, but none of us has yet succeeded in finding them.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Roecoyle

• RootsChat Member
  • Granny Maggie Milne(ms McKay)1883-1964
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Sunday 12 November 17 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Mine's is, Grandfather Thomas Forest Milne born 1882 in Aberdeen, went to America in April 1920 leaving behind his wife and children (he was going to send for them when he was ready) but was never heard off again. I know he landed by ship in April 1920(ships list). He was naturalized in 1927 (USA records) but nothing else has been found for him at all. He was a stone mason and also a qualified electrical engineer.
He just seems to have dissapeared.!!
Aberdeenshire, Caithness, New Pitsligo Areas.
McKay, MacKay
Riach
Wilson
Falconer
Gibb
McLeod
Glennie
Hanton
Milne..
Glasgow,West lothian,Airdrie.
Edwards
Pitt
Duncan
Campbell
Milne
McKay.
England. London.
Deddyhn, McKay.
USA. New York.
Milne
Israel
Diddyhm ?
Deddyhn
McKay.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Monday 13 November 17 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Apart from where my g.grandfather came from before he fathered my gran who was born in 1884 remains a mystery despite everyone, including Rootschatters, trying to find him, the other mystery is what happened to my husband's 2 x g.grandfather James Connor.  Born in Dublin around 1823, on the 1841 census in Liverpool with his parents and a younger brother (who also disappeared), on 1851 census with his wife Mary Ann, and child in Manchester (he married in Liverpool Register Office in 1849, he a Catholic his wife not).  Last mentioned in a trade directory in Manchester in 1855 as a cabinet maker.  I can't find him, his wife or daughter on the 1861 census, but in 1862 his wife had an illegitimate daughter born in Reyner Street, Manchester, the same address (thanks to a Rootschatter) I found out she was paying rates in 1864, 65, 66, 67 and 68.  I think she died in a workhouse in Withington, Manchester in Sept 1868, although the age given on the cert is out by a couple of years.

There are loads of deaths for James Connor in Manchester around the period he is missing, so it's possible he's died.  I've already bought 2 wrong ones.  I guess I'll look on GRO Indexes now to see if I can find one of the correct age.  Of course it's possible he just split up from his wife and went elsewhere, although his father stayed in Liverpool (re-marrying in an RC Church) until his death in 1878.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Monday 13 November 17 16:15 GMT (UK) »
the other mystery is what happened to my husband's 2 x g.grandfather James Connor.  Born in Dublin around 1823..

Have you considered that he might have joined the army? The Crimean War had just finished, and the Indian Mutiny started not long after your last mention. The medal rolls for the mutiny mention nine James Connors.

A death on FindMyPast is of a James Connor born in Ireland, aged 62, in 1885. It says there was a son by his first wife, but whereabouts unknown.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Monday 13 November 17 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.  He didn't have a son by his first wife though, he only had a daughter Emma.  I'm thinking he either died after the 1851 census or he and his wife parted.  I can't find any of them on the 1861 census, although there is a child E C aged 9 living at Livesey Street Catholic Convent.  I'm not convinced that is Emma although she would have been 9 at the time. However, her mother wasn't Catholic and even if her father was he married in a register office in Liverpool and Emma was baptised at Manchester Cathedral where she married in 1867.  She said she was 18 then, but in fact she was just 16.

Strangely, I can't find his brother Patrick after 1841, although I guess he might have gone back to Ireland.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Monday 13 November 17 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Two of my Great Grandmothers were illegitimate. I haven't been able to find any record of who their fathers might be.

Another mystery is
James Barton married Martha Jolly on the 1st March 1824 at St Peter, Bradford
On the census they both claim to have been born in 'Bradford', but I cannot find any record for either of them before their marriage in 1824