Author Topic: What is the biggest mystery in your tree?  (Read 49762 times)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What is the biggest mystery in your tree?
« Reply #126 on: Monday 02 March 09 17:08 GMT (UK) »
My G Grandfather disappears after the birth of my grandmother - well, she remembers him after her mother left, then he went away.
She saw him (not to speak to) at a Salvation Army meeting when she was about 7-9 years old and the SA are supposed to have traced him to Yorkshire in the early-mid 1950s, where "the trail went cold".
No marriages or death entries for him so Stanley Charles SCALES either changed his name at some point, went over seas (can't find him on passenger lists though) or he is alive aged 109 - possible = yes; probable = no.

Hubby's brother-in-law's G Grandfather, Henry STANLEY seems to exist only on the birth cert of his son, Leopold,  and in family stories - I can't find him on any census and he certainly didn't marry Leopold's mother, Mary Ellen JONES.

Two brick walls - both called Stanley (ok so one is forename, one is surname) both G Grandfathers.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline Mike Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 17:14 BST (UK) »
My greatest mystery is the disappearance of my grandfather Francis Patrick KELLY.

He was born in June of 1882 in Liverpool and married my grandmother, Emma HEGARTY in October 1911, also in Liverpool.   Between 1912 and 1919 they had four sons and a daughter (two of whom didn't survive).  After 1920 there is no trace of Francis - my father said that he and his brothers were told that he had 'died' - but he was never talked about, nor was there ever a grave to visit.  (my father believes that Francis left Emma at around this time.) 

Emma went on to have a further son by a different father in 1924.  I have searched the death indexes from 1919 to 1925 but no sign of Francis's demise.  Don't know where to look next!!

Hi, are you still trying to find out this information ?

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 18:25 BST (UK) »
I have a few which annoy me.
Firstly John Marston born 1757 in Queniborough Leics. I haven't found anything else. Online trees have him as a convict but their info doesn't check out.
Next is my Grandma's sister Molly Morris ,she told her father that she wanted to get married and he threw her out the house never to return. Because the man was
black she was ousted and Grandma never knew what happened to her. I would like to know too, I admire Molly  ;D
Another is Grandma's brother Stanley who left the house one day and wasn't heard from again.
 ???

Offline Marytm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 19:47 BST (UK) »
I have 2 illegitimate men one who was my Grandad Eric Handley who has a "mystery" Dad  William Frederick Handley. His Mum Martha Watts was married to Arnold Samuel Handley who died 1911.
So on the birth cert it looks like he is her husband as they have the same surname! I have no details about them marrying. She then marries Harry Peake 8 yrs later.
The other is a unknown brother of my Nan on other side Thextons .My Dad knew about all the other brothers and sister but had never heard of Thomas Gilbert Thexton. I have sent for a birth cert to prove if he was really a brother.
Marytm

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 21:14 BST (UK) »
MY Gran Harriet had FOUR mystery Dads. Luckily they are a mystery no more, although we have never found what happened to Henry, he just went.
Great Gran Eliza married Henry Moore, lost him, literally, partnered W G H Moore, his brother, left him after having two children, partnered Challis Webb who was my Great Grandfather, but he walked out on them, running off with a gal called Betsy. Finally Eliza married Sam Wicks, and stayed with him bringing up her family from assorted 'husbands.'

It took years to work out, but we managed it in the end.
If things get too tough, I'm sure the lovely people on Roots will help you out, Marytm
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline bicker

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Monday 19 June 17 16:39 BST (UK) »
My biggest mystery is what happened to John James Punnett born 1836 in Folkestone Kent after he left his 6 children in the workhouse at Lyminge. Last found on the 1861 census, last child born 6 Jun 1868 • Union Workhouse. Lyminge. Kent

I thought I had found him and send for a marriage certificate, John Punnett to Caroline Eliza Barnes who married at The Baptist Chapel Ashford, 7 December 1879. Caroline was 21 years John's senior. It came as a shock to find this was actually his son John Henry Punnett and this was the second bigamist in this branch of this Punnet family. John Henry later married Charlotte Hendry Simmons in Westminster 14 May 1882, claiming to be single. Caroline actually waited 7 years until she re-married.

John Henry Punnett's sister Louisa Florence firstly married William Coombes at Christ Church, Folkestone 11 July 1882. Then. again as Louisa Florence Punnett, single woman at the same Baptist Church in Ashford, to John Smith 2 June 1884. Both John jnr and Louisa had been living at Hythe Road, Ashford when they married.

Somerset
Areas Bridgwater, Street, Glastonbury and surrounding Villages

Names, Whitcombe (and variations) , Diment, Mounsher, Cave

Wiltshire
Areas Pewsey, Calne
Clements, Ashton, Henly, Groves, Burgess

Kent
All, Folkestone for Punnett family
Punnett, Roalfe (and variations), Vaughan, Tuff,

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Monday 19 June 17 20:31 BST (UK) »
For many years I have searched in vain the English and Irish records to find out the origins in Ireland of William John & Jane Holland (formerly Grogan). They came to Liverpool c1879 a time when civil and parish records should help to determine their origins. Despite baptising their children as RCs they don't appear to have ever married in Ireland or England  ::)

1881 England Census

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27L-9KB3

Blue

Offline Marytm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Monday 19 June 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
Wow some amazing stories

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 00:53 BST (UK) »
Well, I have several mysteries but the ones that worry me the most are
John Mark Plume bc1801 supposedly Bloomsbury (parents? or did he come from another planet?);
his wife Elizabeth Pulsford Haynes supposedly bc1801  (similar but have found a few possibles);
John J/T Chester b?1880 (possible bigamist but haven't found first family or his parents);
and Charlotte Bellmer bc1765 (another one who just appeared).
Oh for a bit more information on some documents!
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more