Author Topic: John Philip SMITH  (Read 2267 times)

Offline jaybees

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Philip SMITH
« on: Tuesday 18 July 06 07:13 BST (UK) »
Could SKS please help me to find the Birth and Marriage County/Place of John Philip SMITH, born c 20 May 1812.?   He supposedly migrated to Australia abt 1844 and died in Australia on 24 Apr 1864.  His occupation was listed as an Agricultural Labourer.

Thanking you all, in anticipation.

Jim, in Queensland, Australia

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Philip SMITH
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 07:40 BST (UK) »
John SMITH was one of the most common names in England.  There were 17,403 in the 1841 census!!
Agricutural labourer was the most common occupation.

You haven't got much hope of finding him unless you know where he came from and even then it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack.  At least he had a middle name.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 07:57 BST (UK) »
Despite the above, there are no John Philip SMITHs on the 1841 census and only 3 John P SMITHs.

Unfortunately, the only one of the correct sort of age is a shoemaker!

Is there any chance of finding out more at the Australian end?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 July 06 07:29 BST (UK) »
Do you have the name of his wife?  If she had  a more unusual name it may be easier to trace John though her.
Please don't tell us she was called Elizabeth. ;D
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline jaybees

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 July 06 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Bearkat !!

Many thanks for you reply.    OK, I won't tell you that her name was Elizabeth because I really don't know.    As I am doing this research we will have to wait until I can contact the other party for confirmation of names but I do believe that her Christian Name was Eliza.    Pretty close, Eh ??

I'll get back to you as soon as I can find out.

Regards, Jim

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 July 06 07:59 BST (UK) »
It's the Mary SMITHS you need to avoid as there were 18,924 of them!
only 3,264 Elizas.

If they came from a small village you might be able to trace them.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE