Author Topic: Photographs by John Humphrey of King Street, Kilmarnock 1860-1889  (Read 10399 times)

Offline Humphreyjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Photographs by John Humphrey of King Street, Kilmarnock 1860-1889
« on: Tuesday 18 July 06 19:08 BST (UK) »
I'm interested in tracking down any cartes de visite, portraits or outdoor photographs taken by my Great Grandfather, John Humphrey, who had a photographic studio on King Street, Kilmarnock, from the early 1860s until his death in 1889.

Offline victorianIMAGEcollection

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Photographs by John Humphrey of King Street, Kilmarnock 1860-1889
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 July 06 18:27 BST (UK) »
:) Hi, I have  about 10 different styles of cdv mount by John Humphrey.  He was at 123 and 127 King Street.  I only have one cdv that I can part with as the others are in the archive.  However, I could arrange scans.  In 1881 he had 6 children. Ron Cosens
Cosens

Offline Humphreyjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Ron,  Many thanks for your response. I'd be very interested to know what the Victorian Image Collection archive is.  It's fascinating to learn that you've come across 10 different cdv mount styles for JH - I've  recently started trying to track his output, its development over time, and of course the mounts are a great help in dating. Apart from an early plain back (123 King) and a playing card type (King Street), both of which I've guessed date from about 1865-7, I've only come across the one I posted, plus an earlier variant. I figured he used it throughout the 70s and perhaps into the 80s.  Anyway, I would be over the moon if you could send me front and back scans of all those you mention, plus the cdv you can part with.  Contact me at humphreyjohn[at]rogers.com regarding payment and method thereof (since I live in Canada).  That's very exciting news. I'm trying to build up a database of his work.
By the way, his oldest son John (one of the 6 children you mention in the 81 census) went on to become an excellent photographer in his own right, but based in Wick, Caithness, from about 1889.  Some of his work appears in a new little book by Christopher Uncles called "Memories of Caithness" (Stenlake 2004).
Recently I discovered a photo by JH senior of his first wife, Mary Gemmell, who died giving birth to John in January 1869 - she just having turned 20.  The photo is 9" x14", just of head and shoulders, the dress touched up with oil paints and the face colourized.  Quite beautiful.  Nothing to prove it's by him, but it's certainly of her, and it would make sense that he took it.  Dated maybe 1866-8.
It's too big to attach - as I've just found out - as is a self-portrait by JH dated (at a guess) around 1870.
Anyway, look forward to hearing back from you,
Kindest regards,
John Humphrey.

Offline victorianIMAGEcollection

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have scanned the 12 images back & front and will send by separate email.  Also an entry from a directory.   The Victorian Image Collection is a privately owned, very large archive of original Victorian cartes de visite and cabinet cards put together to assist Family History, Local History and publication researchers (authors).   Archive items are not for sale but can be scanned for research or publication purposes. A small charge is usually made. Additionally, thousands of spare cdv from all over the UK and Eire which are not required by the archive  are available for sale. Regards Ron  www.victorianimagecollection.com
Cosens

Offline Humphreyjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 August 06 04:41 BST (UK) »
Wow, Ron, you really have opened up a treasure chest there. Classifying and dating cartes de visite, and adding biographical details about the photographers, provides a great resource for historians, photography buffs and genealogy tracers.  Good luck with your important work. As I'm sure you know, another great source is http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/, a site run by Peter Stubbs, though the main connection is with Edinburgh, and he doesn't post many actual pictures.  Many thanks, John

Offline Jan Rulland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 April 11 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I don't know if you are still interested in photos taken by John Humphrey , 127 King Street but I have found one in my family tree collection. It is of my great grandfather James Morren when he became inspector of police at Rayne, Aberdeenshire. I am attaching scan of front. Will do back if you want but there is a little scribble on it.

Offline Humphreyjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 April 11 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan
That's a great portrait of your great grandfather James Morren - and that fake rustic prop he's in front of is something that appears in several of my great grandfather John Humphrey's studio photos. I would certainly be interested in a scan of the reverse of the (presumably) carte de visite, since that helps to date it; you could send it directly to (*) if you prefer.  Do you know exactly when James was made up to police inspector? Presumably he was originally from Kilmarnock?
Very best regards, and many thanks for this great glimpse into the past.
John (in Canada)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Jan Rulland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 April 11 11:10 BST (UK) »
Great to hear from you. My great grandfather was born in 1862 and from 1891 census I know he was a sargeant. By the 1901 census he was an inspector so the photo probably taken between those years as I think it was likely to celebrate his promotion. He died in 1915 but no idea when he retired as police record sources are not very forthcoming. I have attached the reverse for you. The writing on the back reads - My father, When inspector and Rusty's grandad. I could have removed the pencil but it is my mother's handwriting and I found that I could not do so, sorry. I was unable to access your other address.

Offline Humphreyjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 April 11 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hello again Jan. Again, many thanks for showing the image. That backplate dates from the very last years of my great grandfather's studio, perhaps 1887-8. He died in March 1889, so it's definitely not later than that. Your mother's written comment about James Morren being an inspector at that time (which IMHO you shouldn't ever erase - all part of history!) must be mistaken, if the census says that he was still a sergeant in 1891. In any case, the right forearm of his uniform seems to show only two stripes, which indicates that he had not even attained the rank of sergeant (3 stripes) at the time of the photo. I'm not sure what the intermediate rank between regular constable and sergeant would have been, but he was already on his way up the promotion ladder. By the way, what police force was he in at that time? Kilmarnock? Aberdeenshire?  His badge #89 might enable you to trace his promotion history.
Take care,
John