Author Topic: Oliver family - Hartington  (Read 8850 times)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Oliver family - Hartington
« on: Wednesday 19 July 06 07:24 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a Mary Oliver born Hartington around 1805.  She married a James Stanley on 5 November 1827 in Pentrich.    They later moved to Ripley.

Any information on Mary Oliver and her family would be much appreciated.  Thanks, marp

Offline chris64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Oliver family - Hartington
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 July 06 00:31 BST (UK) »
1851 census ripley
james stanley born 1807 ripley
mary stanley wife 1807 hartington
allice stanley daug 1838 ripley
deborah stanley daug 1844 ripley
james stanley son 1847 ripley
mary stanley daug 1840 ripley
oliver stanley son 1837 ripley
samuel stanley son 1830 ripley
susanna stanley daug 1849 ripley

1861 census ripley
james stanley
mary stanley wife
samuel stanley son
susanna stanley daug
james stanley son
edwin stanley shaw 1852 grandson ripley
issac deville 1846 pentrich apprentice

i carnt quite make out james,s occupation on the 1851 it looks like shop maker? not sure if there was such a thing

on the 1861 it definaltly looks like cordwinder as was james jr and issac who was a apprentice cord winder.
samuel was a boiler maker.

chris

kirk selston and greasleynotts. allen selston notts.scothern selston notts. adkins pentrich derby. wall riddings derby. aird manchester and skipton yorks. thornley newhall and stanton derby.chamberlain newhall and stanton smith newhall and stanton. hart moira leic and newhall derby. curtis ashby de la zouch.  charles normanton on soar notts. pebberdy normanton on soar. pepper gotham notts.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 July 06 00:40 BST (UK) »
Shop maker could be Shoemaker

Cordwinder could be cordwainer

Cordwainer=boot and shoe maker

By the way-Olivers shoe shops were well known locally (Ripley/Heanor area) in 1950's/60's -wonder if there was a connection????

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 July 06 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,
This is the Stanley Family in 1841, which may give you additional children.
They are actually listed as STANDLEY
HO107/190/2  Folio 36
 Hillocks (this is an area not a house) Ripley, Derbys
Standley  James   30  Shoe Maker
"    Mary                30
"  Thomas             13
"  Samuel              12
"   Ann                     9
"  Elizabeth             7
"  Oliver                   4
"  Alice                     3
"  Mary                    1 (actuall transcribed incorrectly as 10)
Booth Jethro      15    Apprentice Shoe Maker

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 July 06 11:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the census details of the Stanely family, in particular the 1841 census as this was the one I did not have.  Indeed it gave me the names of many more children.  I think they may have lost some of them, as not all names in the 1841 census seemed to survive.

James Stanley was a cordwainer or boot and shoe maker.   By the 1881 census he was in his 70s and was listed as occupation leather seller (govner).

Thanks again, marp

Offline timstan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 04:18 BST (UK) »
I am a distant relative to James Stanley (Born 1807 in Ripley Derbyshire) and his spouse Mary Oliver (born Hartington, 1805). I am trying to determine the parents of these two individuals (and their grandparents if possible)....anyone have that information??

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 05:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,  just to continue with the census information already given with regard to James Stanley and family.  Below is  more census information but I also have information about James Stanley's parents and grandparents.

1871 Census Ripley
James Stanley age 64 leather setter born Ripley
Mary Stanley wife age 66 born Hartington
James Stanley son age 23 born Ripley labourer
Thomas Stanley grandson age 9 born Ripley

1881 Census Ripley Location South Place, Ripley  James Stanley head, M age 74 Born Ripley, Derbyshire occupation leather seller (govner) and Mary Stanley wife age 76 born Hartington, Derbyshire

It would seem by 1871 that James had changed his occupation slightly from cordwainer (boot and shoe maker) to leather seller.

James died in 1886 and his wife Mary Oliver died in 1884 - both in Ripley, Derbyshire.

With regard to Olivers shoe shops - I do not think there is any connection.  I have a very elderly (97 year old) aunt who is still alive and who lived in Ripley much of her life and she did not make that connection.

Here are James Stanley's ancestors!

James Stanley's  grandfather was Nathaniel Stanley born 1716 (approx) in Pentrich, Derbyshire.   He married a Mary Adlington (born about 1720 in South Normanton, Derbyshire).  They married on 2 January 1742 in Pentrich, Derbyshire.

Nathaniel Stanley and his wife Mary Adlington had 3 children that I can track.   These were  Nathaniel baptised 27 February 1747 in Pentrich, Thomas baptised 1 July 1754 in Pentrich and Samuel  baptised 9 July 1762 in Pentrich.

Of these three sons, Thomas Stanley is James Stanley's father.
Thomas Stanley (sometimes the spelling is Standley) had 3 wives. 

First marriage to Ann Matley on 9 April 1776 in Pentrich.   They had children although I only know of one that is Ann born 1786 in Pentrich.   She subsequently married a George Brooks in 1802.

2nd marriage to Theodosia Coats (in Pentrich)  by license, no children I can find.

3rd Marriage to Arabella Fletcher on 25 September 1804 in Pentrich. He was listed as a widower when he married Arabella Fletcher.  They had 3 children that I know of  Samuel born 1805 in Pentrich,   James born around 1806 in Pentrich, Derbyshire and David baptised 13 July 1808 in Pentrich.

Thomas Stanley was living next to son James Stanley in 1841 Census Ripley HO107/190/2  Folio 36 living at Green Hillocks.
Hillocks (this is an area not a house) Ripley, Derbys

He is listed as Thomas Standley, labourer, on his  death certificate. He died in 1843 in Ripley age 89.

His son James Stanley is the person you are looking for, your distant relative.

I have some information on the family of Mary Oliver, I will put that in a separate post I think.

marp

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 06:20 BST (UK) »
Mary Oliver, wife of James Stanley was  difficult to track and I am still not convinced I have this right - any corrections or revisions would be much appreciated.

Mary Oliver married James Stanley on 5 November 1827 in Pentrich, Derbyshire.   She was baptised 18 October 1804 in Hartington, Derbyshire.  She died 1884 in Ripley.

Mary Oliver's parents were Robert Oliver and his wife Sarah.  Robert was baptised on 19 July 1761 in Hartington, Derbyshire.  I know nothing of his wife.  They had at least 11 children.
John born 1787, George born 1788, Elizabeth born 1791, Hannah born 1793, Alice born 1796, Robert born 1798, Ann born 1800, Melicent born 1802, Mary born 1804, Sarah born 1808, Martha born 1811.  All in Hartington.

Robert Oliver was possibly alive for 1841 census living in Brassington  Not yet verified but was aged 80 living in the registration district of Ashbourne, subdistrict Brassington.

Robert Oliver's parents may well have been Robert Oliver and his wife Elizabeth - they too had many children.

If anyone has any further information with regard to the Oliver family I would really appreciate it.  I have had a look around the cemetery around the church in Hartington and did note quite a few headstones on graves for people with the name Oliver!

cheers, marp

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 16:19 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on A******y which has Mary Oliver's parents as Robert Oliver b.c.1777 and Sarah Shipley b . c. 1787
If this is the correct family then the children b.c. 1787 wouldn't belong to this couple
May be worth researching to prove/disprove?

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk