Author Topic: Completed - Syme Family of Preston Pans Scotland  (Read 41178 times)

Offline searchinganswers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Completed - Syme Family of Preston Pans Scotland
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 26 March 11 04:36 GMT (UK) »
 ;) Hi just came across your thread and I have ancestors margaret Gunn born 1826,Robert Sinclair Gunn born 1828,Georgina Gunn born 1831, John Gunn born 1833, Alexandra Gunn born 1835 and William Gunn born 1839. All these names seem to tie in with the Gunn names you have. I have their parents were William Gunn born 1785 and an Isabella (henderson).
I am hoping you can help me as if I am on the right track with this ancestry. All records have been lost from my Great Grandparents when they passed away and this was given by mY Auntie. I am unsure where the Syme and Isabella had children with the name Gunn.
My GG Grandfather was Robert Sinclair Gunn whom married a Wilhelmina Campbell Cunningham. I am aware that Robert Migrated to Australia in approx 1860. His family lived in Durness.
Am I on the right track or can someone help me as to where to seek my ancestry tree.

Offline searchinganswers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Syme Family of Preston Pans Scotland
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 26 March 11 04:41 GMT (UK) »
I have Isabellas children that match up with all my ancestors names. My Isabella was married to a William Gunn and apparently she was a Henderson. She had Margaret Gunn b 1826, Robert Sinclair b. 1828, Georgina Gunn b.1831 ,John Gunn b.1833, Alexandra Gunn b.1835 and William Gunn b.1839.
This seems to tie in with my ancestry tree can you please fill in the Gap. Did she remarry after William Gunn or how does the Syme family come into the Gunns.

I have her death certificate and it clearly states Captain George Syme RN and Winifred St Leger.  As you say they can be unreliable.
However Isabella did have children that were living in Durness at the time she died and therefore I think a certain amount of the information could quite likely be true.
Isabella's children were John Gunn bp Halkirk 1822, Helen Gunn bp Halkirk 1823, Margaret Gunn bp Halkirk 1825, Robert Gunn bp Halkirk 1828, Georgina Gunn bn Halkirk bp Durness 1830, bd Durness 1924, John Gunn bp Durness 1832 bd Durness 1845, Alexander Gunn bp Durness 1834 bd 1895 Australia, Daniel Gunn bp Durness 1836, bd Durness 1901 and William Gunn bp Durness 1840.
It would be interesting to find out if Commander William Syme RN was a relative to Captain George Syme RN.

Offline jo Archibald

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 15 July 13 08:29 BST (UK) »
dear jap and mcleod syme
I have beeen researching my husbands family and found his ggrandfather David Archibald  :) was a footman at northfeild house in the early 1880's. He emmigrated to Australia in 1860 and became successful in the copper mining town of Moonta. He named his son Thomas Syme and his grand child was named George Hamilton (my father in law).
I knew they were from Prestonpans and that Capitan george Syme played a part in their upbringing, their father was killed in the Lucknow rebellion in India and his wife mary grieves was left with a young family two of the boys were put into James schaws home for poor boys of respectable parents of which Capitan Syme was a governor I feel he must have been good to them for great grandfather to honour him by naming his children after him and the area they came from, thought you might be interested.

Offline GMac78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 22:53 BST (UK) »
I see there are miniature paintings by William John Newton, of a John Macleod and Catherine Syme for sale here: https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/hoteldesventes/catalogue-id-hotel-10021/lot-6aa27fda-dcf8-442e-a74d-a74e01005f6b

Pricey but you can at least see photos.
SKYE(Macleod, Mackinnon, Macdonald, Campbell, MacRaild, Beaton)

RAASAY(Gillies, Macleod, Maclennan)

MEATH(Doonan, Robinson)

DUBLIN(Mcloughlin, Daly)

WICKLOW(Hollingsworth, Doonan)

MANCHESTER(Gregory)