Author Topic: Tinkers Licence?  (Read 2292 times)

Offline tikki_nik2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Tinkers Licence?
« on: Wednesday 19 July 06 17:11 BST (UK) »
I have been told that my great x3 grandfather James Chapman from Buckinghamshire was "registered 'barstard' and had a tinkers licence". I have found him in the census' and by 1841 he was a labourer, settled and had a young family but I can not trace the birth of his eldest son, 1831 or his marriage with wife originally from Herts. I have searched records in both Herts and Bucks and my last resort is to see if there is any scope in what I have been told. How can I go about exploring this further?

Thanks

Nikki
Bucks - Chapman, Garnett, Munday, Smith, Hains, Field, Mayo, Glassington
Cambs - Turner, Alsop
London/Surrey/Middlesex - Floden, Sheppard, Parsons, Luckett, Smith, Martyn, March
Liecs - Winterton, Kirby, Harrison, Measures, Lowe, Smith, Warden, Oldham, Church
Northumberland - Back, Archbold, Elliot, Gibson, Thompson
Herts - March, Law, Adkins, Cooke, Grant
Sussex - Young, Saunders, Hayward, Bollard

Offline FIFI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tinkers Licence?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 July 06 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Nikki

Have a look at your local county record office for hawkers or peddlers licences these are some times kekt in the quarters sessions record.

About the marriage if like mine they some times never married and if you know the mothers maiden name look at that option  also as the child could be registered under her name, two of my famlies I have use both the mothers and farthers name at diffrent times.

Kusti Bok

Fifi

Cooper & Williams Norwood & Croydon (Gipsies)
Mills Mitcham & Croydon (Gipsies)
Gomm Croydon,Streatham,Chalfont st Petera
Bulgin Surrey & Kent