Author Topic: HARTLEY and Yorkshire Coiners  (Read 8075 times)

Offline Yorkshire Coiner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HARTLEY and Yorkshire Coiners
« on: Friday 21 July 06 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've been continuing my Grandfathers research on my branch of the Hartley family, based around Cragg Vale, Mytholmroyd, Heptonstall and Eastwood, in West Yorkshire.

The family tree has been traced back to 1703 to William Hartley. William was the father of 'King' David Hartley, the leader of an unscrupulous gang called the Cragg Vale or Yorkshire Coiners.

I am directly descended from William and David and recently launched a website dedicated to the Yorkshire Coiners and our family history. It contains a great deal of information including a copy of my family tree, census information and photographs, and will be developed further as I gather more information.

The website can be seen at www.yorkshirecoiners.com

I hope the information contained might be useful in for other family research and would be interested to hear from anyone who may be related, particularly if they precede William as I am struggling to get any further back. I can be contacted through the website.

Regards,

Steve Hartley

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HARTLEY and Yorkshire Coiners
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 August 12 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there. I have Hartleys on 3  lines of my tree in the area on the tops (moors)  between Heptonstall and Haworth .  Great website . I tried to send email to it a while ago . Thought would try here too but do realise this is an old topic  .
Some info but not sure if related . 

Martha Sunderland bpt  1710 Heptonstall  .
Martha has 3 illegitimate children , possibly more , bapt at  Heptonstall .
John 22nd July 1732  s/o Martha Sunderland & John Chatburn. Base .
William 14th Feb 1737/8  s/o Martha Sunderland and William Heartley. Base .
James Sunderland 1747 s/o Martha Sunderland .

She  marries Paul Hoyle a widower of Heptonstall  occ  "webster" (weaver)  1748 . They have a son Jonathan Hoyle bpt 1749 Heptonstall . 
Martha is then widowed 1758 (Paul Hoyle buried Heptonstall , now late "of Haworth") .
Martha Hoyle (wdw) then marries William Heartley 1758 at Heptonstall (is he the father of her illegitimate son above ?).

Then there is this record from the  Heptonstall Bishops Transcripts  (not available on Ancstry ) . The same day your Isaac marries Betty/Bessy  Mitton Jan 11th  1764  there is a bapt of Jonathan Heartley age 15 s/o William Heartley  . I believe this is Jonathan Hoyle bpt 1749 and "stepdad" William Heartley (now married to his mother Martha) has taken him on as his own.

After  the Coiners (a lot of people as you know) were brought to book and King David was hung  our Jonathan reverts back to his  old name of Hoyle . Jonathan Hoyle marries Agnes Sugden 1771  Keighley .

I realise there are a couple of William Hartleys/Heartleys knocking about the Heptonstall Parish area  early 1700s but wondering if you have any clues  who your David , Isaac and Williams mother is and did their father William born abt 1703 ever marry ? All the best Sally 

nb
*edited   as i made typo re surname of illegitimate children

Offline James1950

• RootsChat Senior
  • Colour Sergeant Garrett Barry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 January 14 00:21 GMT (UK) »

I have enjoyed reading your link to your tree and your accounts of the Yorkshire coiners.

I have Hartleys in my tree going back to Bernard Rueben Hartley b 1696 in Colne which is is not far from where you ancestors were. Sadly I cannot see any connection with your tree.
Heyworth/  Harrison/ Broughton/Cook/Crooke/Duxbury ~  Pendle
Myerscough ~ Lancashire
Eastwood ~ Burnley
Chppendale ~ Bradford
Bulcock ~Pendle
Cropper/ Heap/Shackleton  ~ Bacup ~ Todmorden
Barry/Looney / Kennely ~ Tralee Kerry

Offline thomasspencer

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 March 21 08:19 GMT (UK) »
I have this picture of a Hartley, I am investigating the spencer Hartley link - coiners.
Does any Hartley researcher recognise it?