Author Topic: Overend & Thornborough  (Read 3070 times)

Offline patphillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Overend & Thornborough
« on: Friday 21 July 06 22:46 BST (UK) »
i
I have a Thomas Overend (Gggrandfather) given as being born Langdale Orton around 1787 – his line ended up in Whitby
I think I have traced him back as being the son of Thomas Overend who married Mary Thornbrough in Kelleth abt 1708
Thornborough seem to have intermarried not only within their own family but with the Overends
Leonard the son of Thomas and Mary Thornbrough married Barbary Thornborough
The names Wharton and Birbeck also fall in the lines
Does anyone have connections with these names ?
Cheers Pat

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Overend & Thornborough
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 August 06 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to rootschat.    I do not have a connection to any of those lines but the Birbeck one caught my eye as every month there is a query from a Josi Birkbeck published in Family Tree Magazine and I am sure she will have lots of information.  There is also a one name study of Birkbeck and variants.  hemingwayATone-name.org and he might be able to help too.
Have you used the search rootschat facility at the top of the board to see if anyone has put queries on about those names?   That often pays dividends.
Andrea

Offline patphillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 August 06 13:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andrea I will try
Cheers Pat

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 August 06 10:30 BST (UK) »
Pat
There is a marriage licence for Thomas Overend and Mary Thornborrow.  It appears to be undated but has been included at the start of the 1709 index to licences.

Thomas is a yeoman of Orton
no designation for Mary
Thomas Holme yeoman of Orton is the bondsman.

There might be additional information on the licence.

Birkbeck and Thornborrow appear to be pretty common names in Orton in the 17th & 18th centuries  - also in Crosby Ravensworth.

Deborah

Offline patphillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Deborah
Many thanks for that info ,is there a link to show the marriage LicenceI would appreciate it if you could forward it for me
Mary Thornborough or Thornborrow's  paternal grandmother was an Overend
I have got the Overend line back to about 1650 now but any extra info is a bonus
Thanks and cheers
Pat

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Pat
I realise I didn't respond properly.

I have a number of books that provide an index to the marriage licences and bonds for the Diocese of Carlisle.   I gave you all the information that was available in the index.

I think that the original documents may have been destroyed and that the index is taken from a transcript/calendar made in 1911/12.   It might be worth enquiring of Carlisle Record Office whether they do have the original licences/bonds.   It is possible (although unlikely) that the 1911/2 transcript/calendar has additional information that is not included in the index.

Deborah