Author Topic: BDM Certificates, Hawick, sources?  (Read 3568 times)

Offline GordonM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BDM Certificates, Hawick, sources?
« on: Tuesday 25 July 06 03:28 BST (UK) »
On behalf of my dear cousin Barbara:

Most places in UK have a local source for BDM certificates, generally less expensive than going 'national', and we believe we will need quite a number for Hawick, on a limited budget.

Can anyone suggest a local source for these?  Either postal or email addresses would be fine, but preferably both.

BTW, we live in Oz, so an 'in-person' visit would be a touch difficult.

As this has been an ongoing (& expensive) exercise, any help at all would be most welcome.

Main interest is the Marriott family, esp. Daniel (d. 1892) and the 2nd Daniel (d. 1909), their wives, Mary Orr (nee Randle) and Elizabeth Ingram, and their children.  Daniel 1 had a son, George, who was killed during the Common Riding in 1868, which would have gained a lot of attention at the time.  The Same Daniel was quite a character, who made a nuisance of himself and often appeared in the local papers, championing one cause or another, so he was well known in his day.

We would be most grateful for any other details that anyone would have,
Barbara (via Gordon) Marriott

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BDM Certificates, Hawick, sources?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon,

Welcome to RootsChat.

The records are all held centrally at New Register House in Edinburgh.  But you can view the entries online for births up to 1905, marriages up to 1930 and deaths up to 1955 at:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

30 credits cost £6.  To view the results of a search costs 1 credit per page, to view the image costs a further 5 credits.  If you decide to go down this route, read all the information on the site on how to get the best out of the searches and also the hints and tips here on RootsChat, particularly this one:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,43916.0.html

It need not cost a fortune if you are careful in narrowing down your searches.

Do you need any census information?  Some have been transcribed at

http://www.freecen.org.uk/

As the name implies, this is free.  What about the 1881?  There are two listed - one is a prisoner in Jedburgh.  Well, you did say he made a nuisance of himself!  ;)

Here are the details:

4 O'Connell Street, Hawick, Roxburgh
GROS 789   ED 4 p 33   
Daniel Marriott Head W 66 b England Wool Framework Knitter
Mary Marriott daughter U 17 b   Hawick, Roxburgh Wool Factory Worker

County Prison Jedburgh
GROS 792   ED 1  p 19
Daniel Marriot U 23 b Hawick prisoner, Millworker

Some information has Daniel senior born in Ashover, Derbyshire.

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GordonM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 05:08 BST (UK) »
Many thanks (on behalf of Barb)  to Nell, who has raised an interesting possibility: that Daniel #2 was a gaolbird at one time!

The date is certainly right (he was born in 1857) although his marital state is not (he is shown as being married in 1880) - but the odds against there being 2 DMs of the same age in Roxburgh at the same time must be slim...

Daniel 1 was indeed born in Ashover, Dby (1817), but does not show up there (or elsewhere) in the 1841 census, so is a bit of a mystery.  He was a religious man who launcvhed crusades on behalf of a new peal of bells for the church, improved sewage AND better conditions for prisoners!  I suspect that, again, is too much to be a coincidence.

Your census extract shows him as expected, a widower with 1 daughter.  His wife Mary (she was previously married to a Charles Randle) died in 1871 and tragically, he lost 2 sons, both aged 8 at the time (in different years), and his 3rd son was Daniel - the possible prisoner.

May I further stretch your generosity by asking, How would we get details of those in prison at the time?  This may be court transcripts or newspaper mention, I just don't know where to start.  Genuki mentions only testaments, inventories etc under 'Court records' & don't seem to mention criminal trials, but surely prisons & prisoners must be amongst the best-documented records?

thanks again, Gordon

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 14:30 BST (UK) »
I think the National Archives of Scotland are the place, but while one may search their catalogues online, the records are not available.  :(

They certainly have the Prison Registers for many gaols but Jedburgh only up to 1869
http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/crime.asp#criminals

The main site (http://www.nas.gov.uk) would be well worth having a look at to give you ideas of what they hold, what might be researched from the other side of the world etc.  I couldn't immediately turn up anything obvious in their catalogue for either Daniel.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 March 07 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gordon,

I had a walk around Wilton cemetary this afternoon and I came across 2 stones which may interest you.  Both erected by Daniel Marriot so presumably they are a relation?

Offline GordonM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 April 07 05:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that - you must have a prodigious menory, or quite a note-taking system!

Neither of the people shown is know to me, but I've forwarded them to my cousin.

Its interesting that both appear to be from Leicester, and we know that Daniel was mising - neither in Dewrbyshire nor in Hawick - for up to 20 years, so perhaps thats an indicator..?

Anyway, its a fascinating sidelight.. you havent got plans to go back to Wellogate Cemetery in the near future, have you - just to stretch the friendship?

Regardless, I'm much obliged to you, regards
Gordon

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 April 07 09:51 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping to get up to the Wellogate cemetary soon so I'll keep my eyes peeled for him (or anyone else you are looking for) and a return to Wilton is a must as well as I only covered half the cemetary on my last trip.

Feel free to give me as many names to look for as you want and I'll quite happily take pictures for you of any that I find.

:)