Author Topic: Sharkey/Healy/Callaghan/Corcoran, Tibohine Area  (Read 9224 times)

Offline WBFDSO

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sharkey/Healy/Callaghan/Corcoran, Tibohine Area
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 05:03 BST (UK) »
Hello

My great grandparents were Dominick Sharkey and Mary Healy of of Cloonfad. My grandfather was Patrick Sharkey who married Madge Callaghan around 1906 in the village church.

Patrick was the second child and first born son of Dominick and Mary. Dominick Sharkey was my grandfather's younger brother. He was a stone mason, according to a brief history written by my aunt. He lived for a time with my grandparents and their children, including my mother, in the Oranges in New Jersey.

I don't have a lot of information. I haven't done research. But I have seen your posts. My aunt wrote they were from Cloonfad and Tibohine. But according to Google maps, those two villages are some 7 kilometers apart.

So it seems that your grandmother married my grand uncle...yes?

We visited who I believe was your Aunt Evelyn (Gilligan) for a couple of hours 12 years ago on a trip to Ireland.

Evelyn told us that her mother and my maternal grandmother were best friends.

Evelyn told us both of my grandparents lived on their parent's farms across from each other, just up the hill, on the lane from her home

By any chance, in your research have you come across the names of my maternal great grandparents -- the parents of Margaret (Madge) Callaghan?

Thanks for any help you can share.

Bob

Offline marieaneen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 April 18 11:35 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered that Dominick Sharkey and his wife Mary Healy had a daughter Mary (born 19 July 1876) who married James Higgins in NJ in 1905.  James was the brother of my grandfather, Bernard Higgins.  Mary's birth certificate states Cloonfad, Frenchpark.  From Roots Ireland, I learned that the parents of Margaret Calaghan/Callaghan were Patrick Calaghan/Callaghan and Madeline Melvin.  I am active in a group that I founded called County Roscommon, Ireland Genealogy.  We have almost 1,500 members from 10 countries around the world.  I would encourage you to join by sending the required email and clicking the join button.  We could then discuss this more openly and private message each other.  I could give you information on how to access my heritage site. 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 April 18 12:37 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered that Dominick Sharkey and his wife Mary Healy had a daughter Mary (born 19 July 1876) who married James Higgins in NJ in 1905.  James was the brother of my grandfather, Bernard Higgins.  Mary's birth certificate states Cloonfad, Frenchpark.  From Roots Ireland, I learned that the parents of Margaret Calaghan/Callaghan were Patrick Calaghan/Callaghan and Madeline Melvin.  I am active in a group that I founded called County Roscommon, Ireland Genealogy.  We have almost 1,500 members from 10 countries around the world.  I would encourage you to join by sending the required email and clicking the join button.  We could then discuss this more openly and private message each other.  I could give you information on how to access my heritage site.

Name   MARY SHARKEY
Date of Birth   1876
Group Registration ID   11716357
SR District/Reg Area   Castlerea

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1876/03040/2114521.pdf
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 April 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
C Reg Birth, Marriage and Death results for Sharkey of Castlerea   

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lv6/

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.