Author Topic: Sir Charles E. NIGHTINGALE, Bart.  (Read 24437 times)

Offline cyberaly

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Charles E. NIGHTINGALE, Bart.
« Reply #27 on: Friday 03 February 17 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I know this discussion is on the older side, but hoping someone might come across it.

My family descends from the Nightingale's in Barbados. I understand that Grenado Nightingale might have had properties there. I'm trying to understand if they connect with the Nightingale Baronetcy at all. The family names of Grenado and Gamaliel stand out, and were used repeatedly throughout the generations.

My line starts with:
- Elizabeth Jane Nightingale - b. 1790 in Barbados to Nathaniel Nightingale and Ann Evanson, m. 1808 to Nicholas Evanson in Barbados, d. Unknown.
- Nathaniel Nightingale - b. 1761 in Barbados to Gamaliel Nightingale and Frances LNUK, m. 1789 in Barbados to Ann Evanson, d. unknown
- Gamaliel Nightingale - b. 1745 in St. Philip Barbados to Grenada/Grenado Nightingale and Mary Burton, m. about 1759 to Frances, d. Unknown
- Grenada/Grenado Nightingale (spelling varies on docs) - b. 1706, Christchurch Barbados to Capt. Nathaniel Nightingale and Catherine Ragg, m. 1732 Barbados to Mary Burton, d. Unknown
- Capt. Nathaniel Nightingale - b. 1676 or 1677 in Barbados to Granado/Granader (sp. varies) Nightingale and Susannah, m. 1698 Barbados to Catherine Ragg, d. 1736 Barbados
- Granado/Grenader Nightingale - b. circa 1650 location unknown to Nathaniel Nightingale and Elizabeth Richardson, supposedly. I am not confident where I got those names and can no longer find the documentation, so they could be incorrect! m. about 1670 to Priscilla Webb who died in 1676, 2nd wife Susannah m. about 1676 (assumed since wife died in Jan. that year, and Nathaniel Nightingale was born in January of 1677. Not a long mourning period, but he had 3 very young sons from the first marriage... life goes on I guess!)

That is as far as I was able to trace, and it was very early on in my genealogy career, so my documentation is terrible. I'm going back and filling in the gaps, which raised the question for me. Someone on another forum pointed out the connection to the baronetcy, which I'd never heard of. The names of Gamaliel and Grenado are particularly unique, so I wondered how I might find out if there is in fact a connection.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or insight anyone can provide!!!
Alyssa

Offline Timbo2018

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for "lost" OSMANs of East London, ENG
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Charles E. NIGHTINGALE, Bart.
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 02 September 18 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone.

I realise I'm 9 years too late to reply to this thread

Don't worry - it's taken me 11 years to get back to this thread !!

I am in the mean time putting together a family tree on PDF form so if anyone is interested in having a copy please let me know and I will e-mail it to you.

I hope to hear from some of you soon.

Edward

Did you get any further creating your family tree ?

If so, please reply on this thread and I'll let you know my email addy.

rgds
Tim
Paternal Side: O'Malley - O'Brien (Ire/Eng/Aus/USA) - Pressland / Presland - Nightingale (in UK)
Maternal Side: Osman - Charters / Charteris - Whittle - Cox (all in UK)