Author Topic: donovan family from cobh cork  (Read 2631 times)

Offline roxy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
donovan family from cobh cork
« on: Wednesday 26 July 06 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, l am looking for my late fathers family from cobh cork, his  name was John Donovan his parents were Eugene & Mary Donovan Please if anyone can help me let me know ..l would be vey grateful, as he had a lot of brothers & sisters some will be stillalive today and their children (my cousins) the 1901 cencus for Cobh or Queenstown as it was then called will be very useful the family lived at OLD STREET COBH, my dad was born here in 1912, so were his sisters & brothers who were called James, MargaretAnne,MaryJosephine,Michael,Owen,Ada. so if any one can help please do let me know as l am going on holiday to Cobh in 2 weeks time . Thanks Roxy.

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: donovan family from cobh cork
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Roxy,
Can you get hold of your dad's birth certificate, or do you know his date of birth? Ditto any of his siblings. There might be clues on the certs. re. place of abode, etc etc.
If you can narrow down the date of his parents marriage, and the place, you can hopefully get their marriage cert.
(Look at the many useful Cork  links at the top of the board for ideas on how to pursue your research).
The 1901 census - do you know where exactly the family lived? If you have a Family HIstory Library near to where you live, you can order microfilms of the census; but you need to know the D.E.D (district electoral division); the familysearch.org site (Latter Day Saints) has a section on how to find the correct films.
There were probably several Donovan families living in Cobh, so you need to narrow down the address as much as you can.

But before all that - are any of the family interested in family history? You might get a lot of initial information just by talking to your cousins ; they may have photos etc etc.

Good luck!

Mags
Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline roxy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi MAGS , Thank you very much for all your help sadly l have never met my Donovan cousins or any of my dads family as he died when l was 17 yrs old, and as he and my mum who was from Belfast were separated l never got to meet his side of my family but l would really love to now. thanks once again, Roxy.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hiya Roxy,

I'm assisting with a search for a Jeremiah Donovan who was born somewhere in Co. Cork where his uncle was a steward on a large estate. Jerry settled in Belfast after being in Dublin and Derry. He was living in Belfast at the time of the Blitz in the early 1940s and still there in the 1960s. I am helping his grand daughter find details about her family.

I've sent you a PM

All the Best, Christopher

Offline Spring

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 20:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much, Chris.  What we know about my grandfather:

Jeremiah Donovan born in May of 1883.  Parents Jeremiah Donovan (farmer) and Norah Lyons.  Witness to first marriage was Kate Donovan.  First wife was Marianne Egan (born Kings County 1882 - father Michael Egan).  Married at Spring Hill Church in Lota Beg 1906. 

Jeremiah was orphaned as a child and raised by relatives.  He spent time in Blackrock and in Blarney.  His uncle John Donovan was a land steward at a large estate in Blarney.  John was married to May and had at least 2 daughters, Honorah and Marie.  Honorah was a year older than Jerry and Marie was a year younger.  This was at the time of the 1901 census.  May had died.  Jerry was a butler at one of the houses in Lota Beg, in Glanmire.  After his marriage to Marianne (a governess/schoolteacher), they lived in Cork City.  They later moved to Dublin for a short period of time and then moved to Derry and later Belfast.  Rumor has it that my granddad had a falling out with his family and never spoke to them.  He worked for the Jackson family in Lota Beg we think.  He was very well educated.  About 5'7" with blue eyes and sandy red/brown hair.  Very quiet and dignified.  His children were Marie (Dec. 1907 - Cork City), Henry "Harry" (born 1909 Dublin), Margaret Mary "Rita" (born Dec. 3, 1910 - Derry), Michael Francis "Frank" (born Feb 4, 1912 - Derry) and Geoffrey Thomas (born July 16, 1913 - Derry - later died at age 12 in Belfast of gangrene of the foot).  Rita died of a bad heart and influenza in 1926.  He remarried in Belfast to Mary Ethel McCormick and was father of Gabrielle, Alice, Christina, Paul, Jeremiah and Josephine.  There was also a Brigid and Norah.  Norah died at age 13 months the same week as Rita.  Several other children died in infancy - Patrick and ???  Appreciate any help.  Also, he worked as a waiter in Dublin, Derry and Belfast. 
Thanks,
Mary Kathleen Donovan Springowski

Offline Kevin D

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 02:47 BST (UK) »
Roxy,  I just came across this.  We should let RootsChat know that we found each other - what was it 11 or so years ago?  With my grandmother Ada (Dolly), the older sister of your dad John.  Love you, my dear cousin.  Kevin 

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 13:11 BST (UK) »
Lovely to hear of reunited family members - thank you for the update Kevin
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder