Author Topic: HOW Family of Watford  (Read 12467 times)

Offline rpweedon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HOW Family of Watford
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 July 11 02:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry, its a name I have not come across.
Weedon and variants

Offline DY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 August 11 21:25 BST (UK) »
We are desendants of the Hosier's from around Sarratt,and have a Mary Ann How(e) 1810-1876 married to William Hosier 1812-1882.I have been trying to find out more about the How Family and if their is any connection with the Godfrey Family.Perhaps you have more information?
Look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks.
Shelley

Offline rpweedon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 04:00 BST (UK) »
How / Weedon connection is below

In 1812 per Pallot’s marriage entries Ann Weedon married John How in Edgware.  She is listed as 25 years old at the time of her marriage which suggests a birth year of 1787.  Ann was duaghter of Thomas Weedon and sarah Peacock also of Edgware.  Do you have any Weedon's in your tree?
Weedon and variants

Offline rita

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 09:12 BST (UK) »
Not come across that name our How family were from Bushey Watford Abbots Langley some may have gone to London but none of our immediate family went
Rita

Offline lizzie mackay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 October 11 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil, I have read your messages regarding the How families from Watford and Abbots Langley.  I've recently embarked on an inlaw's tree and have discovered James Smith b 1851 in Bushey, married Lydia How b 1946 Bushey and had several kids, including Alfred Smith b 1885 in Bushey.  The family remain in Bushey then move to Abbots Langley between 1881 and 91.  Alfred married Rose How in 1911, in Romford, Essex.  Curiously, both ladies are named How but I haven't made a connection there yet.  I understand Lydia How's parents were William and Jane (nee Matthews) but have no info on them so far. I'd like to know the parents of James Smith as above and wondered if any of these people figure in your family tree or have stumbled upon in your research.  I'm really quite excited as I live in Bushey and enjoy not only the family history but the social history of this unique village.  Look forward to hearing from you and good luck with your search.  Best regards, Lizzie Mackay

Offline pdadme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 October 11 13:41 BST (UK) »
I live in Croxley, about 1/2 mile from my grandfather's (another William How) house, where I was born and grew up.
Since my first post in this thread (around 2006) I have learnt a huge amount about the How family generally. They have been major landowners and farmers in Herts and Beds since before the dissolution in the 1540s, and many places bear the name: e.g How Wood by St Albans; Little How Croft in Abbots Langley, and How Grove in Hemel. Their main home seems to have been around North Mimms, and Lydia is descended from that branch.
Lydia's grandparents were Thoimas How and Sarah Lewis from Harpenden. They married and had (at least) 7 children in Watford, of whom one was Daniel, who married (as you know) Elizabeth Miles, daughter of Benjamin and Mary from Bromley in Kent.
Daniel's eldest brother was William. William married Elizabeth from Ottery in Somerset, and they had at least 9 children in Bushey, one of whom was Mary How. Mary married my great grandfather's brother James Joseph How. I have as yet found no direct connection between the 2 branches of the family.
In 1851 James is "Butcher and Publican" at the Pigeon pub in Bushey. The Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Kent ... , 1855 shows:
Bushey Traders:
How Elizabeth (Mrs), Beer retailer, High St
How William.Beer retailer, High St
Howe James, Cattle Dealer, High St

William and Elizabeth are Mary's parents (Daniel's brother and his wife)......
I could go on forever, but there's not room enough here!
I have pretty much catalogued and connected all the Bushey Hows, and am in touch with several descendants.
This is Lydia and James' marriage:
Marriage:  SMITH, JamesAge:22
Wife:Lydia HOWAge:25
Marriage Date:25 Dec 1871
Recorded in:Bushey, Hertfordshire, England
Husband's Father:John SMITH
Wife's Father:William HOW

....and this is James' father:
JOHN SMITH    Male
Christening:  15 DEC 1811   Bushey, Hertford
Father:  JOHN SMITH
Mother:  SARAH

Jane Smith married Lydia's brother Joseph Henry How.
If you would like to know more I can send you a copy of the family tree with all info on it. MY e-mail address is: phil at howlight.co.uk

Incidentally, Bushey Museum (housed in the old Fire Station) have copoes of the parish records and censuses for Bushey, and there are several Bushey local historians who will tell you a lot about thye families of Bushey.
I have worked in the past with Ian McKay (one of the founders of Bushey Museum) in his capacity as consultant architect for the Bushey Heritage people.

Phil How

Offline pdadme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 22 October 11 13:46 BST (UK) »
My apologies for a few extra typographic letters in my last post, but I have BIG fingers and a small keyboard

Regards Phgiulk :)

Offline pdadme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 22 October 11 16:44 BST (UK) »
Lizzie
Here are the Smiths and the Hows in the 1871 census:
Dwelling:  Melbourne Rd, Bushey, Herts
William H How Head M  M 53 Hay binder Bushey, Herts
Jane How  Wife M 53 Laundress  Lower Heyford, Oxfordshire
Jane How Daur Unm 17 Laundress  Bushey, Herts
James How  Son 14 Hay binder's Boy  Bushey, Herts
Martha How Daur 10 Scholar  Bushey, Herts
-----Next door-----
John Smith  Head M 60  Police Pensioner  Herts, Bushey
Jane Smith Wife M 52   Herts, Watford
James Smith Son U 21  Labourer (garden)  Herts, Aldenham
Jane How  Daur M 19  Herts, Aldenham
William H How  Grandson  1   Herts, Bushey
Ann Rumney  Granddaur  3  Herts, Bushey
Louisa(?) Rumney  Granddaur  1  Herts, Bushey
Source information:    RG10/1380

Here is James:
Name: James Smith
Date: 05 Aug 1849
Baptism/Christening Place: Aldenham, Hertford, England
Father's Name: John Smith
Mother's Name: Jane

And John and Jane's wedding:
Groom's Name: John Smith
Bride's Name: Jane Wells
Marriage Date: 25 Dec 1834
Marriage Place: Bushey,Hertford

They married some 15 years before  James and Jane were born, and there are more children. 
So far I found: Joseph, Eleanor, John, and Emma

Regards Phil

Offline lizzie mackay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 October 11 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil, thanks a lot for the information re the How/Smith families.  I am a regular at  Bushey Museum and have studied a few families myself.  I know of Ian Mackay from Oxhey but have not met him yet.  Who knows, he may be one of my long lost ancestors?! I need to fill some info on this tree, to bring it up to date and then I can make the connection between the families.  It's not the easiest name to research 'Smith' but thankfully I have  people like yourself, who can save me a lot of bother.  Thanks again for that.  The other name in my research is Rand, which transmutes to Rann, Ran, Wrann, Rands among many.  They originate from the Isle of Wight (so far as I've gone back).  Eileen M Smith married Ronald Rand in Hendon in 1942.  Eileen (a lovely lady I remember) was the daughter of Alfred Smith b 1883 and Rose How (coincidentally).  Alfred Smith's father being James Smith b 1851 and Lydia How b 1846 in Bushey.  The rest I guess, is history.  I best get on with it then, before my other half begins divorce proceedings for time wasting!  I'll put you down as a guest on my Ancestry tree, so you should receive an email from me soon.  All great stuff.  My email address is lizzie_mackay at hotmail.com, should you have anything other that may be of importance to the tree.  Thanks so much again,  regards, Lizzie