Author Topic: HOW Family of Watford  (Read 12450 times)

Offline charby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HOW Family of Watford
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, I was wondering if anyone would have any photo's of CHARLOTTE SARAH HULL born 1859 watford hertfordshire, daughter of CHARLOTTE SARAH HOW and JOHN HULL. CHARLOTTE married THOMAS SELBY
the 16 nov, 1881 loughborough.
 ;D
charby
barrow upon soar , leicestershire:   Darby
loughborough, leicestershire : selby
rempstone , nottingham, selby
nottingham: whitehead
watford, hertfordshire : hull
Derbyshire: Selby
kegworth leics, annable
melton mowbray:Darby

Offline jhurst15

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 03 July 15 03:33 BST (UK) »
Hello!  I am researching a Thomas How, born in or around Watford in April 1681, raised in Watford till his father died, at which time he was taken in by family in London, educated, and trained as a tailor.  He crossed the Atlantic at age 17 or 18, ending up in Germantown in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he married a Dutch woman, Margret OpdenGraef, daughter of master weaver Abraham OpdenGraef.  Thomas is the immigrant-progenitor whose last name we bear, and I would love to find his ancestors in England!  Unfortunately, I do not have his parents' names (other than last name How).  Any information or ideas?  The facts above, taken from the published journals of Thomas' pastor in Pennsylvania, are almost certain to be accurate.  The Internet data bases I have checked (Familysearch.Org, Ancestry.Com, Findmypast) and the microfilms I have sifted through have not helped me locate him.  There are lots of Thomas Hows born around that time in that area of England, but none match my information.  First names for this family (based on names of Thomas' sons), other than Thomas, are William, Samuel, Edward, John, and possibly Joseph or Abraham (though Abraham most likely came from Thomas' father-in-law, Abraham OpdenGraef).  I'm hoping someone knows something that'll help me.  It's a long shot, but I thought I'd give it a try!   

Offline pdadme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 July 15 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have a Thomas How 11 Mar 1682 Abbots Langley in my tree. Eldest son of my 6g grandfather Thomas How.
Abbots Langley is about 3 miles from Croxley Green, where I was born and where I still live.
My family have lived in and around Abbots Langley since at least the early 16th century.
The How family were farmers and landowners around Hertfordshire since well before Henry VIII times.
The How family (especially those from Aspley Guise in Bedfordshire) were very close associates of the Penn family, William Penn having lived a mile or so from here, and were involved a great deal  in the early colonisation of North America, owning large amounts of land there.
Sadly, records are a bit ambiguous and sketchy, and there were many HOWs named Thomas, William, James and Michael, all born in the same area at the same times, so it is nigh on impossible to distinguish one from another, when a lot of the records simply say (e.g.) Thomas How, son of Thomas How.
Regards
Phil How

Offline jhurst15

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 July 15 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hello, Phil.  Thank you for the speedy reply.  I had looked at your family records in Abbots Langley, hoping the Thomas who was baptized March 1682 was our Thomas.  However, your 6 great grandfather Thomas lived too long to fit the story in Rev. Muhlenberg's journals (Thomas' father was supposed to have died when Thomas was young, which triggered his move to London and his eventual journey across the ocean to America).  What was your 5th great grandfather's name?  I saw a William and possibly a Michael in the Abbots Langley records as possible sons of Thomas.  Thank you for the background information on the Hows in Hertfordshire and Bedford.  The possible connection with William Penn is a surprise!  William Penn was associated with our Thomas How's in-laws, the OpdenGraefs.  He influenced a lot of people in Krefeld, Germany (then part of Holland), to convert to Quakerism and come to Pennsylvania, and, as you probably know, he was instrumental in their acquisition of land there.  Does your family tree go back even further?  Do you know your 7th or 8th great grandfather's names?   We are almost certainly distant cousins--7th, 8th or more.  If you have any suggestions whatever for pinning down Thomas' parents, let me know (I'm guessing you would have shared it if you did).  Meanwhile, what you have told me is a big help.  Jackie (Howe) Hurst