Author Topic: John smith , the tailor  (Read 3094 times)

Offline icini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me
    • View Profile
Re: John smith , the tailor
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 July 06 14:35 BST (UK) »
wow , a lot of good efforts on my behalf . Thank you. I do have Christine's death cert but the last name looks totally different- it is longer by about three or four letters- Amourin or something like that. That is why I am trying with daughter's marriage cert- I figured that since the father is not deceased he should know that last name of his bride?!   I could not find a Smith/ Mains combo on SP. I will try the others. 

I think I found the family on the 1851 census in Edinburgh( where Christina was born).  It mentions that three of the children were born in England so I am having my brother-in-law look them up on ancestry.com. I thought it might be possible for them to have married there.  I have started searching her siblings now but Smith is so common.  One brother - born in England- has the name of Robert S.Smith. that's a little different.

I am interested in tracing through the maternal line as I am trying to follow a book entitled " the Seven Daughters of Eve" in which it discusses mitochondrial DNA( through mother's line) and Jane is stopping me!   

Thanks again to everyone for their help.  Donna
Lanarkshire: Dow, Dickson, Duncan, Buchanan,  Maclachlan, Wallace, Mitchel, Freckleton, Dollar, Whitten(on),Liverance, Murray, Gibson, Scoular, Telfer, Fisher,Slimman
Bo'ness: Henderson, Wallace, Foot(e)
Irvine: Petrie, Millar, Jaffrey, Allen,Boyd,
Edinburgh: Huldberg, Smith, Main, primrose
Roxburgh: Main, Smith, Sutherland
Wales: Islay, Wilkes, Morris, Ponter
England: Murray ( Windsor), Ponter ( Bath),
Ireland: Whitten, Irvine, Miller, McWilliams,Tremble,Greenaway, Stevenson,Wilson

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 July 06 14:39 BST (UK) »
Is there any chance of putting a snippet of the death cert up with the mother's name?

Or perhaps, the date of death so that we could have a look.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline icini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 July 06 14:55 BST (UK) »
I'll give it a try.  I have never done it before on this site. In case it doesn't work here are the dates of Christina's death.  June 28, 1903, age 54. There is a number in the side of the page- 1275 and page number is 435- might not help anything.

Lanarkshire: Dow, Dickson, Duncan, Buchanan,  Maclachlan, Wallace, Mitchel, Freckleton, Dollar, Whitten(on),Liverance, Murray, Gibson, Scoular, Telfer, Fisher,Slimman
Ireland: Whitten, Irvine, Miller, McWilliams,Tremble,Greenaway, Stevenson,Wilson

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 July 06 14:59 BST (UK) »
Well it certainly looks like Armour to me. I wonder if the other one is a variation - Maour or something.

She was 19 in 1868 and 54 in 1903 - seems like an age difference as well  ???

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline icini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 July 06 15:18 BST (UK) »
HI: that's what I thought too. As to age difference I think my female ancestors were a bit vain. In the early censuses they aged maybe 7-8 years then I guess it caught up with them and one of them aged 18 years  in a later census!  I know they are correct though because of mention of daughter , husband etc.   Donna