Author Topic: Jeremiah Carey  (Read 3779 times)

Offline Oceana

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jeremiah Carey
« on: Sunday 30 July 06 07:14 BST (UK) »
I am searching for my husband's ancestors.  All I have been able to find is that his great grandfather Jeremiah Carey migrated to South Australia aboard the Lord Hungerford from Plymouth, arriving in Adelaide on 28th November 1856.   We have been told he came from Tipperary.  We believe some other brothers of Jeremiah also migrated either prior or after Jeremiah.  On Jeremiah's marriage certificate his father's name is Thomas Carey.  Jeremiah was 18 on his arrival, therefore making his birthdate c.1838.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 
Carey, Connors

Offline twinkleberry

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremiah Carey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 September 06 13:30 BST (UK) »

;)

Hi Oceana

I was in the South Australian State Library today and I had a look for some information about Jeremiah Carey and family in South Australia. The following is what I did manage to find:-

ARRIVAL FROM OVERSEAS.

Jeremiah Carey, occupation laborer from Co. Tipperary, single, aged 18 years arrived in South Australia 28th November 1856 aboard the "Lord Hungerford" which sailed from Plymouth.

MARRIAGE

Jeremiah Carey aged 26 years, marital status not recorded, son of Thomas Carey married 24th June 1866 to Mary aged 26 years, single,
daughter of James Connors at St. Patrick's Church, Adelaide District Adelaide reference book 67 page 366

There are no children recorded as born to Jeremiah & Mary in the South Australian Birth Books.

DEATHS.

1. Jeremiah Carey aged 40 years, of near Roseworthy, died 31st May 1879 at near Roseworth, informant not recorded, District Barossa reference book 95 page 277

2. Mary aged 65 years of Roseworthy, died 31st December 1898 at Roseworthy, widow of Jeremiah Carey District Barossa reference book 258 page 3.

I would be happy to look up brothers of Jeremiah, but without knowing their Christian names, it is not possible to do.

I hope the above is of some interest to you.

Regards

'Twinkleberry"
Heather Hobbis 1949-2012

Offline Oceana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 00:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information Twinkleberry, (love that name:)), most of the above info. I have and I also have all the children of Jeremiah and Mary, they weren't listed in the births register, but we tracked them down via the Catholic Archives baptism records.  I think a brother settled in the Booleroo Centre area and I must try and ring some Carey's from there, to find out the Christian names.  I have all the SAGHS discs that have been released, anxiously awaiting the most recent Death Index:)  Was hoping someone from Ireland may be able to give me some info. regarding Carey's around Tipperary.  Thanks once again for taking the time to look this up and post:)
Carey, Connors

Offline twinkleberry

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 November 06 00:42 GMT (UK) »

Hi Oceana

I was in the State Library yesterday and did some searching for information about Jeremiah Carey in South Australia.  It is not a lot, but the following is what I did find in the short time I had to stay there.

ARRIVAL IN SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Jeremiah Carey, laborer, aged 18 years arrived in South Australia 28th November 1856 aboard the "Lord Hungerford" which sailed from Plymouth.  Jeremiah was born in Tipperary and was 18 years of age when he arrived in South Australia.

MARRIAGE IN SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Jeremiah aged 26 years, marital status not recorded son of Thomas Carey married 24th June 1866 to Mary Connors, aged 26 years, single, daughter of James Connors at St. Patrick's Church, Adelaide, District Adelaide

There are no children registered as children of Jeremiah Carey and Mary nee Connors in South Australia.

MARRIAGE

Patrick Joseph aged 34 years, single, son of Jeremiah Carey married 28th March 1910 to Agnes Winifred aged 21 years, single, daughter of Thomas Farrell at St. Peter and Paul Church, Gawler, District Barossa reference book 242 page 784

CHILDREN BORN TO PATRICK JOSEPH CAREY & AGNES WINIFRED FARRELL.

1. Agnes Winifred born 5th March 1918 at Gawler, District Barossa refrence book 15 page 292 stmbol 'A' denoting (1) The Registar has made an amendment to information on tis birth record and/or (2) The registar has included additional information on this birth record.

2. James Gerald born 25th August 1911 at Gawler, District Barossa reference book 871 page 114

3. Mary Paricia born 11th Augut 1913 at Gawler, District Barossa reference book 917 page 249

DEATHS

1. Jeremiah aged 40 years of near Roseworthy, died 31st May 1879 at near Roseworthy, informant not recorded, District Barossa reference book 95 page 277

2. Mary aged 65 years of Roseworthy died 31st December 1898 at Roseworthy, widow of Jermeiah Carey District Barossa reference book 258 page 3 symbol 'S' denoting the Registar has included supplementary information on this death record.

Hoping the above is of some interest.

Regards
"Twinkleberry"

Heather Hobbis 1949-2012

Offline primer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 November 12 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information Twinkleberry, (love that name:)), most of the above info. I have and I also have all the children of Jeremiah and Mary, they weren't listed in the births register, but we tracked them down via the Catholic Archives baptism records.  I think a brother settled in the Booleroo Centre area and I must try and ring some Carey's from there, to find out the Christian names.  I have all the SAGHS discs that have been released, anxiously awaiting the most recent Death Index:)  Was hoping someone from Ireland may be able to give me some info. regarding Carey's around Tipperary.  Thanks once again for taking the time to look this up and post:)

Hi I have a photo and some info you might like relating to the death of Thomas John Carey 1901 and Jeremiah jnr 1924. Do you have these as two of the sons of Jeremiah.

Offline Oceana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 November 12 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Have pm'd you primer :)
Carey, Connors