Author Topic: Corfe Castle Coastguard - Edward JAMES  (Read 3406 times)

Offline Andy James

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Corfe Castle Coastguard - Edward JAMES
« on: Sunday 30 July 06 19:31 BST (UK) »
I wonder whether anyone can point me in the right direction - and apologies if this isn't the right board.

Edward James was my ggg grandfather and was a career sailor, and between 03 Oct 1857 and 31 Mar 1874 was based at the Coastguard Station at  Corfe Castle. I've got Edward's service record from the National Archives, but it doesn't tell anything about life at Corfe for the Coastguards.

I wondered whether anyone might know where I could find records/information about the Coastguard station at Corfe Castle, and possibly the people who served there?

Thanks for any help and advice that anyone can give.

Best wishes,

Andy

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Corfe Castle Coastguard - Edward James
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 July 06 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

I'm really surprised that Corfe Castle ever had a coast guard station - it is a few miles inland and would have been useless to see any sneaky people trying to land illegally on the coast.   ??? 

However, you learn something every day - there is a Coast Guard station listed in 1881 and looking at the parish map I see that the parish of Corfe Castle extends to the coast between St Alban's (or St Aldhelm's ) Head and the Kimmeridge Ledges.  Well - I never realised that before!   ;D  There was a coast guard station just to the west of the point and overlooking Chapman's Pool (lovely place!). 

Are you able to access Google Earth?  The coastguard cottages are visible on the cliff top near St Alban's Chapel and the current cliff top look-out.  The nearest village is actually Worth Matravers.

Also have a look at the old maps site:

http://www.old-maps.co.uk

Navigate to Worth Matravers and then south- west from there.

The records for Coast Guards are held at the National Archives.  See their research leaflet

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=54

Nearly all coast guards in the later part of the 19th century had been serving sailors in the Royal Navy and had moved on to become coast guards.  You will find them listed in the Navy Lists.  Nearly twenty years at the same station is quite a long time.  The one I have in the family tree served in Scotland and moved about a fair bit, from the Carnoustie area to Rattray Head (miles for the kids to walk to school every day!), to Dysart and Leith.

Hope that helps a  wee bit.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 July 06 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I see from rummaging in the paperwork that the coastguard cottages at St. Aldhelm's head were built in 1834 if that's any help- now where are the photos gone ???
Fred

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 06 22:42 BST (UK) »
I expect you have all this already:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Coastguards/H-K.html
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 July 06 06:43 BST (UK) »
Try also Coast guards of yesteryear.
                     Goggy. ;) ;D

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 July 06 14:53 BST (UK) »
There's a bit about the Swanage coastguards in "The Evening Echo book of heritage in Dorset and the New Forest"by Roger Gutteridge, 1991.Ensign pubs. The article is called "Brandy on the rocks, The diary of a Dorset coastguard." The man in question was James Mitchell who was involved in brandy smuggling ops 1851-2 from Swanage, and served at the St.Aldhelms Head Station from 1855 until retirement in 1860.
Quote "Mitchell's diary forms part of a unique collection of material now owned by Mrs. Eileen Hardy of Swanage.The papers include docs. relating to Mitchell's CG career and the fortunes of his colleagues, letters from relatives, etc, etc.."
It might be worth trying the CRO at Dorchester to see if they have copies? The book was printed 15 years ago.
Also in the bibliography by R. Gutteridge "Dorset Smugglers," Dorset Pub.1984- might be worth a look?
Fred

Offline Andy James

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 August 06 21:14 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

thanks for the information and advice. There are plenty of things for me to look up and check!

I suspect that I'll spend a lot more time on google earth than is necessary!

And the books look really interesting, particularly as, for a short time at least, James Mitchell was a coastguard at the same time as Edward.

Thanks again for all your help,

best wishes

Andy