Author Topic: Surnames search for the fawley area  (Read 4480 times)

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames search for the fawley area
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 February 18 19:13 GMT (UK) »
I think that Annie Rollins' death was recorded Dec 1887 Q at South Stoneham - the union workhouse at West End village was also used for medical care for poorer patients from the area.
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera
Victorian social history

Offline Richard A Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 February 18 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Heather, for all that extra information.  I expect you've got the dates of the Fawley baptisms, but in case not:

* Thomas, illegitimate son of Thomas MASEL [sic] and Mary FLIGHT, on 6 Jan 1771.
* Betty, illegitimate daughter of Thomas MASEL [sic] and Mary WILTON [sic], on 28 Jan 1771.
* Mary, daughter of Thomas and Mary RASEL of Ower, privately on 17 Mar 1776, received on 7 Jun 1776.
* Ann, daughter of Thomas and Mary RASEL of Ower, privately on 2 Nov 1777, received on 1 Feb 1778.
* Sarah, daughter of Thomas and Mary RASSEL of Ower, privately on 9 Jan 1780, received on 25 Jan 1780.
* Hannah, daughter of Thomas and Mary RASSELWALTHMAN [sic] of Ower, received on 4 Nov 1781.

Thomas, Betty and Mary you know about.  I guess Ann, Sarah and Hannah died before Thomas (the father) wrote his will.  I can't see burials in Fawley, but maybe they died elsewhere.  I can't help with a baptism for Harriet.  However I do have one burial that I find hard to explain.  A Mary RASELL of Fawley was buried on 22 Jun 1777 in Beaulieu.  If this wasn't Thomas and Mary's daughter, who was it?  It can't have been the mother as two or three more children followed.  Do you have any ideas?  I wonder if it's possible that their daughter Mary did die in 1777 and that they had a later daughter of the same name.  Do you have an age for Thomas TULK's wife Mary that might help us determine this?  The marriage was in 1808 which would easily allow her to me born later than 1777.  However there's a Thomas and Mary TULK living on Britain St, Portsea on the 1841 census, both given as aged 60-65 which is consistent with a 1777 baptism, if it's them.

To return to Mary FLIGHT, do you have any indication of her age?  There are two possible baptisms in Fawley, and none in the nearby parishes:

* 10 Jun 1744, daughter of William junior and Mary FLIGHT; received in church on 3 Jul 1744.
* 10 Feb 1749/50, daughter of "Farmer" FLIGHT; had twin sister Martha.

There's a burial at Fawley of a Mary FLIGHT on 25 Feb 1768 which could be one of these children, but more likely is the mother of the first.  I'm not sure who "Farmer" FLIGHT is.  It could be William junior, in which case the first Mary presumably died; or it could have been William senior, who I suspect was William junior's father and who had recently taken a much younger second wife, Sarah Wright; or it could have been someone else entirely.  But at the moment my guess is that "Farmer" FLIGHT is the father of William junior, and therefore the younger of the two girls named Mary baptised in the 1740s was the aunt of the older one.

There are two marriages for a Mary FLIGHT.  One is at Lymington to George WARE on 13 Nov 1783; the other is at Fawley to James BANKS on 17 Aug 1784.  I cannot say which marriage goes with which Mary FLIGHT baptism; nor do I know which of these women was the mother of your ancestor, Thomas FLIGHT / RASSELL, but presumably one of them was.  George and Mary WARE had two children, George (born 8 Sept 1787) and Mary (born 10 Aug 1790), but either of the children baptised in Fawley would potentially still have been of child-bearing age by then, so we're none the wiser.  So far as I'm aware James and Mary BANKS did not have children, and I suspect James died a few months after the marriage, so that doesn't help untangle which Mary FLIGHT is which either.

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Richard!  I didn't have all those baptisms, very helpful  :)

As for Mary Rasell buried in Beaulieu I don't know the answer but there were a lot of Rassell variants around Hampshire /West Sussex around that time - she could be from another branch to mine.  There's a website for a Rassell Family Tree available to view online that I haven't yet managed to connect to my ancestors, so perhaps she is one of the Mary births that appears or of course she could have married into the name.  I'm also in touch with someone who has researched the Rasell name and variants in great detail, they reckon the elder Thomas Rassell on the bonds was born 1701 in Chichester, married 1729 in Chichester and died 1790 in Fawley.

I think the Thomas and Mary Tulk living in Britain Street in 1841 are right.   I have a newspaper advertisement dated 19.06.1821 when Thomas Rassell (born 1771) is selling up his house and contents at 49 St George's Square Portsea  to move to London.  It's full of delicious detail of his furnishings and mentions that the house sale includes a tenement adjoining in Britain Street that was in occupation by a Mr. Crips at that time.  It seems likely Thomas's half sister Mary Ann and Thomas Tulk were living in this street for several years.

I don't know how old Mary Flight would have been, but I guess I assumed that as Thomas (salt duty at Fawley) appears to be a minor in the bastardy bond, if my assumption that his father also being named is for that reason is correct, then I imagined both Marys in the bonds would also have been young but I have no proof.  It's probably not relevant but there's no history of twins in our family so perhaps the Mary with twin sister Martha isn't a good candidate??

It's all very interesting but difficult to unravel to say the least! 
Thank you for your help
Kind regards, Heather

Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras