Author Topic: mcpherson/grant  (Read 25010 times)

Offline utrecht003

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
mcpherson/grant
« on: Saturday 30 October 04 21:33 BST (UK) »
hullo all   could anyone help please, I've come to a dead end.    William Mcpherson married a Christine Grant. I just can't find any reference to their marriage, except on the sons birth cert. He was John Grant Mcpherson married to Mary Mcnicol Bruce,Sept 17 1842 in Brechin.John was born May 19 1840.
  William, the Father  was born abt.1812,Kirkmichael, Banff, in 1870 he was a "house proprietor ?"
  Christine the Mother,  doesn't seem to excist at all, outside a certificate   does any one have any thoughts that may help     alex.

Offline Fifer

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: mcpherson/grant
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 November 04 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alex

I have Mcphersons as well from Kirkmichael do you know of these

John Mcpherson son of James Mcpherson,Jane Shaw

there son john married Mary Gilbert Potter in Edinburgh in 1888

let me know if you have come across these only just started looking on these lines so dont have alot of info.

Fifer :)
Barclay,baxter,Cook,Cowie,Dryburgh,Hughes,Morris,Murray,Simpson,Westwater from Fife Scotland.

Hatton,Roscoe,Smith,Ellison,Hardy,Harding,Holmes,Randles, Fishwick from Wirral Cheshire,

Barnett,Hempsall,Humphrey,Ward,Wrench  from Lincolnshire

Hartshorne,Wilson,Brass,Dodds,Hunter from Durham

Offline Union Jack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 04 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Alex,

This is a long shot but my ggggrandfather, James Forsyth was b. 1785 in Aberdeenshire (next door to Banff) and his parents were WILLIAM Forsyth & Ann McPHERSON.

After years of research I've noted repeated intermarriage of the same families is generally followed by the use of the in-laws common given names.

Also, the above noted James had a grandson named John GRANT Forsyth but I've never found the GRANT connection.  I know - it's reaching a little but an interesting co-incidence.  Good luck!

Jack

Forsyth, McPherson, McConnachie, Anderson (Aberdeenshire), Collier, Garraty, Noquet (London), Brown (Hertford)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 February 05 17:24 GMT (UK) »
I see that John McPherson and Mary McNicol Bruce were married in 1868. If you have a copy of the birth certificate, it will tell you whether Christian/na/ne was still alive then or not. If she was, you can work forward to find her death certificate (she will be indexed under both surnames, but don't forget spelling variations). If she was dead, you can work backwards, hoping that she survived until 1855. Certificates can be viewed online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

Have you got the 1841, 1851, 1861 and 1871 census entries? Where was William in 1870 and where did this information come from?

What denomintaion was the marriage ceremony? Could they have been Roman Catholics?

Forfarian

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline utrecht003

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 February 05 19:34 GMT (UK) »
many thanks for your reply Forfarian,sadly I'm helping my sis.in law to arrange a funeral for her brother Norman Grant Mcpherson,but next week I will take your advice and look further   once again many thanks.    alex

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex,
I have the family in the 1841c
It seems they did not marry.
I can't find any other children.
When you refer to the certificate you have, is it the marriage of John to Mary in 1868, if so, then what did it exactly word for word, did it say about his parents.

1841 Census
3 Records found

: Aberlour-Banffshire 4
Civil Parish: Aberlour Address: Mill

~~~~~~~~

Surname   First name(s)   Sex   Age   Occupation   Where Born   Remarks   
    MCPHERSON   William   M   30   Ag Labourer    Banffshire         
    GRANT   Christine   F   35       Banffshire         
    MCPHERSON   John   M   1       Banffshire     
---------------------------------------

regards
kenjo ;)
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline utrecht003

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hullo Kenjo, many thanks for your reply.What I have is the original Banns for John Mcpherson(BurghPolice Officer)and Mary Mcnicol Bruce (daughter of John Bruce Inn Keeper) They were Married in Brechin 14 September 1868.
   I couldn't find any thing on "scotlands people"But on the IGI I got a copy of their marriage, giving the parents of John as William Mcpherson and Christina Mcpherson, M Name Grant.Everything seems to tie up,Job,Age,names etc I just can't past William or Christina. though at least I now have an age for Christina.         Once again thanks for you help,any other thoughts though will be most appreciated        Alex

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 April 05 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex,
 firstly I must apologize, William McPherson and Christina Grant, may have married, in an old tradition, and that 1841c saying her name as Grant, doesn't necessarily mean that they weren't married.  She may just be using her Maiden name.

I bought the Marriage certificate, to see the parents.
and it was as you said, it appears they were still alive, [mind you, that is not always the case]

I[think] I have found the Death of
 Christina McPherson, married to
 William McPherson formerly a Labourer,
died on the 23 April 1870, at 5am,
Dufftown, Mortlach, Banff.
she was aged 69yrs.
her father was John Grant, Farmer, deceased,
and her mother was Jane Grant ,maiden surname, Campbell. deceased.
she died of Influenza, Bronchitis, and pneumonia,
Informant was her husband William McPherson.
---------------------------------------------------------

These are the children of

Father: John Grant, Mother: Jane Campbell, [sadly there isn't a match for Christina Grant, maybe she was illegitimate and raised as John's own] or there are a few explainations.

CHARLES GRANT -
Gender: Male Christening: 16 APR 1805 Knockando, Moray, Scotland

JAMES GRANT -
Gender: Male Christening: 19 MAR 1807 Knockando, Moray, Scotland

ALEXANDER GRANT -
Gender: Male Christening: 10 JUN 1809 Aberlour, Banff, Scotland

DONALD GRANT -
Gender: Male Christening: 11 APR 1812 Aberlour, Banff, Scotland

JOHN GRANT -
Gender: Male Christening: 20 OCT 1814 Aberlour, Banff, Scotland

ISABELLA GRANT -
Gender: Female Christening: 04 JUL 1818 Aberlour, Banff, Scotland

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the 1881 census   Dwelling:   22 Church St
   Census Place:   Mortlach, Banff, Scotland
      Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace

William MC PHERSON   W   69    M   Kirkmichael, Banff, Scotland
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   Pauper
Jane MC PHERSON   U   38    F   Mortlach, Banff, Scotland
   Rel:   Daur
   Occ:   Gen Servant Domestic

~~~~~~~~--
I have the Death of William McPherson, Pauper, widower of Christina Grant.
he died sixteenth/11/1893, at 4am, of Bronchitis, aged 82 yrs, living at 22 Church street, Dufftown.
father, John McPherson, Farmer, deceased.
mother, Annie McPHerson, maiden surname, Stewart, deceased.
Informant, son, William McPherson,  living at Fife Mills Dufftown...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the son.....in the 1881c

Dwelling:   Fife Mills Cottage
      Mortlach, Banff, Scotland
      Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace

Isabella THOMSON   U   65    F   Mortlach, Banff, Scotland
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   Merchant
James THOMSON   U   55    M   Mortlach, Banff, Scotland
   Rel:   Brother
   Occ:   Shoemaker
Margaret NICHOLSON   W   42    F   Mortlach, Banff, Scotland
   Rel:   Sister
   Occ:   Dressmaker
Catherine NICHOLSON   U   15    F   Mortlach, Banff, Scotland
   Rel:   Neice
   Occ:   Domestic Servt
Elsie THOMSON       10    F   Mortlach, Banff, Scotland
   Rel:   Neice
   Occ:   Scholar
William MC PHERSON   U   26    M   Mortlach, Banff, Scotland
   Rel:   Boarder
   Occ:   Spinner

~~~~~~~~

I feel this william is fibing about his age..
Christina his mum, was having her children in her 40s, we now have John , Jane and William....
but I can't find anything about these other children.... maybe they weren't Christened.

regards
kenjo :D
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 May 05 15:45 BST (UK) »
I noticed that the death certificate described William mcPherson as a pauper. I happened to be in Elgin the other day, so I had a look at the Mortlach Parish Board records.

Applications for relief, 1857-1879, No 79. Date of application 1864, February 5. William McPherson, residence Dufftown, born Scotland, married, 53, labourer, wife Christina Grant, 60. Inspector visited on February 5th, 1864. Applicant is unable to work as per medical certificate; wholly disabled [this means disabled from earning, not necessarily suffering from a physical handicap BTW]. Admitted [to Register of Poor] April 16.

Ibid, No 193. Date of application 1 December 1871. William McPherson, Church Street, Dufftown, widower, 61, labourer. Inspector visited 1 December 1871. Wholly disabled; dependants Jane McPherson, daughter, aged abt 28, imbecile.

Register of Poor, No 83. William McPherson, Dufftown, 54. Admitted 16th April 1864 at 12/- per week. Born Kirkmichael, protestant, married, labourer, partially disabled, ruptured, partially destitute, no earnings. Settlement: residence. Wife Christian Grant, 61. Dewpendants living in household: Jane mcPherson, 23. Children not living in household: John McPherson, 25; James McPherson, 20.
6th February 1872. James McPherson dead. John married, residence unknown. Jane weak-minded. Christina dead.
1867, November 1st Succeeded to money sufficient to maintain him.
6 February 1872: Readmitted on roll at 10/- per week.
Nov 14 Allowance increased to 11/-
1874 Feb 3 Allowance increased to 12/6
1883 Ap 21st Allowance increased 3/6 per week
1893 Ap 15th Allowance increased 5/- per week.
1893 Nov 16th Died

If you want copies of the originals of these three items, go to http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp and then to Moray Council's Online Shop.

HTH

Forfarian
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.