Author Topic: mcpherson/grant  (Read 25011 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: mcpherson/grant
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 October 09 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Have a look through this help guide here on RC on what is available in respect of Scottish research resources: www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html

You will find the original image on line of Helen and Charles' marriage on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  It is pay to view but costs are reasonable. You can save any image that you view on to your computer.

The marriage year shows as you have, from IGI at www.familysearch.org:

HELEN MCPHERSON GRANT and CHARLES NICOL    
Marriage: 14 JUL 1862 in Inveravon, Banff

You should be able to view this entry on Scotlands People with these dates.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 30 October 09 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Certainly looks like Charles and Helen left Scotland immediately after their marriage going by the births places of their early children. The family in 1871 at Woodhouse, Norfolk South, Ontario - all the children showing as born in Ontario:

Charles Nicol 36 b. Scotland
Helen Nicol 35 b. Scotland
Margret Nicol 7
Marey H Nicol 6
Eliza J Nicol 5
Erie E Nicol 3

From 1891 in St Albans Ward, York West, Ontario

Charles Nicol 57 b. Scotland
Helen Nicol 55 b. Scotland
Maggie Nicol 28, P. School teacher
Lizzie Nicol 25
Erie Nicol 22
Mina Nicol 18, P. School teacher
Bella Nicol 16
Emily Nicol 15
Georgie Nicol 12

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 30 October 09 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Some of the childrens' birth entries in Ontario which coincide with the start of official registration in Canada:

Martha Elsie Nicolson Nicol - 20 Sep 1869
Williamina Craigie Nicol - 30 Nov 1872
Isabella Elsie Nicol - 17 Sep 1874
Emily Naomi Nicol - 31 Jan 1876
Georgie Larisa Nicol -19 Aug 1878

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 30 October 09 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Helen Grant/Nicols died in York, a widow by now,on 27 Mar 1921 at the age of 85, the informant was one of her daughters. Her birth place shows as Banff and parents given as Robert Grant and Margaret Smith. Charles Nicol died also in York on 1 Oct 1898, aged 64.

Monica

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 30 October 09 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help.  Maybe that's the family.  All I have is a family tree on canvas that dates back to Helen McPherson Grant which indicates she's a single child.  No info on birthdate, just parent's names.  She married Charles Nicol in 1862 and they have the Ballandolloch PO as their address.  How do I find birth, marriage and death certificates?

You won't find a birth certificate because no such thing existed before 1855. There might have been a baptism record, but if there isn't one listed at  www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk the chances are that it has not survived. It isn't listed on http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp which means that it's not in the Inveravon Roman Catholic registers either.

There will be a marriage certificate available at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk at modest cost. The marriage certificate should tell you the names of both her parents, and her father's occupation may be listed.

If the Inveravon Kirk Session minutes have survived, there might possibly be some information there about Helen's parentage, provided that one of her parents was a member of the Church of Scotland congregation. The minutes would be in the National Archives of Scotland www.nas.gov.uk but you would need to get someone to check on your behalf. The NAS site has links to lists of  Edinburgh-based researchers who do this sort of thing.

Ballindalloch Castle is the seat of the Macpherson-Grant family, descendants of the original lairds who built the castle. The double-barrelled name dates from 1806, when George Macpherson succeeded his great-uncle General James Grant, and took both names. It would not surprise me if Helen Grant acquired her middle name some time after her baptism; this isn't at all unusual. Quite a few Grant children from that area were given the middle name Macpherson as a mark of respect to the laird's family.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 30 October 09 13:00 GMT (UK) »
The only entry I could find on IGI was this one, actual extract from the Old Parish Registers:

JANE GRANT OR SMITH Birth: 16 APR 1836/ Christening: 07 MAY 1836 in Inveravon, Banff
Parents: ROBERT GRANT and MARGARET SMITH    

The way the entry is written up again implies an illegitimate birth.

Monica

Offline gcoa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 17:17 BST (UK) »
I found this site after doing a search for James Grant and Margaret Smith, Married on the 18th of Dec, 1857.  They were married in Stevenson, Ayershire, Scotland by Rev. ames Crookshanks of the Established Church.  I have this info via a printed 50th anniversary program for them (complete with photos) as it was celebrated in Cumberland MD, Dec 18 1907.  The program also includes a list of the children  - Mrs. John B MacFarlane, John F. Grant, James Grant, Jr, Thomas Grant, Mrs. Frank O Spain, Mrs. Charles W. Fries, Albert C Grant, Mrs. Frank G Crane.  Grandchildren are listed as - Mary B. MacFarlane, James G. McFarlane, Donald W. MacFarlane, John B. MacFarlane, Jr., Margaret S MacFarlane, Margaret Swain Grant, James Grant III. Frank O. Spain, Jr., Donald G. Spain, Carl W. Fries. 

More photos in next post.

Offline gcoa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 17:44 BST (UK) »
I have more photos but it won't let me post htem

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi gcoa

Re unable to post images.

The image size must be less than 500kb if you have a look at the link below it will explain all. I have been there. Had the same problem Still get it when I forget (age thing).

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting.php#add_attach

Yours Aye
BruceL