Author Topic: mcpherson/grant  (Read 25075 times)

Offline maryjmac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mcpherson/grant
« Reply #27 on: Monday 10 October 16 01:15 BST (UK) »
Hi....Just read your query about Christina Grant/William McPherson.
Christina Grant was the daughter of John Grant who was the son of Lady and Lord Grant. It seems that she ran off with William and was consequently ruled out of the family. Their son was John Grant McPherson who married Mary McNicol Bruce.
My father researched this intensely in 1980s and after visiting and viewing parish records put the marriage of William and Christina in 1839.
I am a direct descendant by the way !

Offline maryjmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 October 16 15:59 BST (UK) »
John Grant Mcpherson was my great grandfather. His parents were William McPherson and Christina Grant. Christina was the daughter of John Grant who was the son of Lord and Lady Grant. It seems Christina ran off with William, hence the lack of records. She may have been disowned by the Grants ? May have been pregnant with John Grant Mcpherson ?
John Grant McPherson had 8 children, one of whom was James Alexander Bruce McPherson ( my grandfather )

Offline maryjmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 October 16 16:03 BST (UK) »
Christina Grant and William Mcpherson were married in 1839 at Aberlour. They had 4 children, one being John Grant Mcpherson. Christina was born in Archiestown.

Offline ANDREW MCPHERSON

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 06 December 19 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
We are directly related!
My great great grandmother was Jane McNichol Bruce too.
And her daughter Mary Bruce married my great grandfather, John Grant McPherson.
My grandfather was James Alexander Bruce McPherson. We've always had the same family story about the runaway Marriage!

I've just discovered this site today,
Andrew Bruce McPherson

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 06 December 19 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Christina Grant and William Mcpherson were married in 1839 at Aberlour.
Have you found an original document to back this up, or was it an estimate based on the date of birth of their son John?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline maryjmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 08 December 19 09:15 GMT (UK) »
The marriage of Christina Grant and John McPherson was documented in parish records my father researched in 1970s to 80s. He travelled all over Scotland and England visiting each parish. This was pre- internet days !

Offline ANDREW MCPHERSON

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 08 December 19 10:53 GMT (UK) »
So you must be my cousin Jean? Confused by the MaryJMac posting name!
Andrew

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 08 December 19 10:57 GMT (UK) »
The marriage of Christina Grant and John McPherson was documented in parish records my father researched in 1970s to 80s. He travelled all over Scotland and England visiting each parish. This was pre- internet days !
Statutory civil registration began in Scotland on 1 January 1855, and the legislation that established it also required every Church of Scotland parish to hand over its parish registers to the Registrar General for Scotland for safe keeping. The Aberlour Church of Scotland parish register is included among these, as you can see from https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//research/list-of-oprs/detailed-list-of-old-parochial-registers-of-scotland.pdf which was published in 1872. These are the registers that form the basis of the church records on the Scotland's People web site.

Therefore if your father found a record of the marriage locally it cannot have been in the Church of Scotland registers, because by the time he was searching locally the Church of Scotland registers had been in Edinburgh for over 100 years.

The marriage isn't listed on the Scotland's People web site in the Church of Scotland records, the Roman Catholic records or in the assorted dissenting churches' records. It's not listed in http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp, which includes an index to the surviving Episcopalian* registers in the present-day area of Moray, which includes the part of Banffshire where Aberlour is situated. It's not in the International Genealogical Index, which is an index compiled by the Mormon Church that includes among others the births and marriages in the Aberlour parish register.

*The Episcopal Church of St Margaret in Aberlour was built in 1875-1877 and the article on Aberlour in the Statistical Account of Scotland, written in 1845, does not mention any religious denomination other than the Church of Scotland. As the brief for the articles included a specific question about how many Episcopalians were in the parish, it is reasonable to suppose that in 1845 there were few or indeed none. See https://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/dist/essay/sjsquestions

So there are three possibilities.

First, the record is there in either the Church of Scotland or the Roman Catholic or dissenting churches' parish registers but has been omitted from both the Scotland's People index and the Mormons' index. That's simple enough to check because it's easy to get a look at a microfilm of the Aberlour parish register, or to inspect the various digitised registers in a Scotland's People Centre.

Second, your father did not in fact find a documentary record of the marriage and had to estimate the date of the marriage. I'm afraid that I think this is the most likely explanation, especially since he only gives a year, not a specific date within that year. (Nothing wrong with estimating a date - I have to do it all the time because of the gaps in the records.)

Third, and this is why I am asking, your father found a register of some kind that has escaped the attention of the Church of Scotland, the Registrar General for Scotland and the Moray Local Heritage Centre, and if that is the case I'd like to know what it is and where he found it so that I know about it for future reference and can refer to it in the hope of filling in some of the gaps and estimates in my own tree.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline maryjmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 22:42 GMT (UK) »
My father would have been very conscientious and  recorded only accurate details. Sadly he has been dead many years so cannot back this up but I have a copy of all his research.